Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 🎄 🇯🇵

Day 22

< day 21 day 23 >

7 Likes

Oh my gosh! What a beautiful creation!! Congratulations! :partying_face:

I know you said you didn’t check the difficulty level/time required for these, but I was thinking you must have done the ordering for those two (Day 21 and 22) on purpose as a little prank… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Day 22

しの字のおしえ

An interesting read for a cold day.

7 Likes

Thank you. :smiling_face:
It really came out well, but it took sooooooooooooo long! Hope yours comes out even better when finished!
I really didn’t plan this, apart from pushing this one towards the end of the calendar because it was immediately obvious it would be very involved. But yes, if you take the average time of day 21 and 22, maybe it evens out a little? :joy:

5 Likes

Dec 23

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:23

Kun: かんが.みる、 かがみ
On: カン

Words of the day: いんかん (past example serving as a warning​), ひっせきかんてい (handwriting analysis), たいかん (encyclopedia), えいかんしょうかい (film festival)

What on earth is a "chicken sexer"?

鑑 means things like specimen, model, take warning from, learn from. It’s a Jōyō kanji taught in junior high, JLPT level N1, and It’s not on Wanikani.level 31.

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations:

7 Likes

It’s a professional job where people look at genitals of tiny chicks and can instantly sort them into male and female. The male chicks get killed of.

They are more accurate and faster then any automation we can currently develop. But If you ask them how they do it they can’t explain their system. The brain is a crazy pattern recognition machine.

If you can stomache the contents it’s a super interesting topic to look into!

7 Likes

Oh. Makes sense. Telling the sex of a newborn bird can’t be easy. Thanks for the info. The reason it needs to be done is not something I’d like to look into any further, though. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes
Chicken talk

Or the females, depending on which kind of factory it is :cold_sweat:

I think there are some developments around X-raying the fertilized egg and determining the sex through that, but I have no idea how reliable that is. And, they still throw away half the eggs on either side. Which, together with the conditions of producing said eggs, is … well … :sob:

6 Likes
day 23

呪術廻戦 – just as fun as the anime was! i was kinda worried the fights wouldn’t flow as well but the energy is absolutely still there and I really do wanna keep reading! Originally picked this cos I thought i’d be flagging by now and wanted smth really familiar (and therefore easier), but turns out i didn’t need it! was more like a reward than an easy option which is funny cos there’s still tomorrow yet so it’s too early for rewards but ah well

6 Likes

:spiral_calendar: :christmas_tree: Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 – Day 23 :christmas_tree: :spiral_calendar:

December 23rd

Today’s Kanji:

Kun’yomi: ます

On’yomi: ソン, セン, ザン

Meaning: salmon trout

:fountain_pen: Kanji writing

Kanji writing practice

My writing just keeps getting worse and my hand started to hurt after the first half – I’m kind of glad that tomorrow’s complex Kanji will be the last one because I’m running out of stamina. :sweat_smile:

@downtimes
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! :smile:
No idea, how I didn’t notice sooner. In the end, I decided to keep the picture without amending the mistake to have something funny to look at.

@omk3

What a mesmerising origami! It must have been rather difficult to make, no? Anyways, you did great job! :grinning:
Just by looking at it, I can’t make out how it’s constructed – at first, I even thought that it was two origami because of all the different papers and arrangements. I may take a look at the corresponding video to see it in action.

7 Likes

December 23

Kanji writing
Origami
Song
Mystery book reading

Kanji writing

Origami

A regular two-paper box this time. Phew!

Thank you. :blush:
It wasn’t difficult so much as repetitive (although it did feature folding a paper in thirds, which I can never get quite right). It took a long time, and, wait for it, 20(!) sheets of paper to make. There are two kinds of paper, and the four colours you see are the two sides of those two(x10) papers.
It’s really mesmerizing when you see it in action,.

Only one more day to go! Where does the time go? :christmas_tree:

7 Likes

Today I read メリイクリスマス by 太宰治 along with this 朗読. It was not a traditional Christmas story by any means. I enjoyed it (太宰 is easily one of my favorite authors at this point) but it ended on something of a sad, purposefully incomplete note. If you’re looking for a ‘Christmas story’ I don’t recommend this. If you want a thoughtful read, I do.

I gave myself a bonus day, reading a piece translated from English (which I’ve read in English) on Christmas day :christmas_tree: :santa: Feels a bit sad for it to be ending, but I’m sure I’ll do more short story challenges in the future! And hopefully my ranking of the stories on Natively helps some of the really good ones get more readers and prevents other people from reading some of the really boring ones…

7 Likes

:u7981: Advent of Ascending Kanji - Day 23 :secret:

Twenty-Three stroke kanji:鷲

Eagle
Kun: わし
On: シュウ; ジュ

Practice

Not many kanji to choose from now, though scrolling through Jisho I’m always surprised by the sheer amount of cool looking kanji that just have nothing associated with them, what ancient secrets do these kanji keep?

Starting this challenge I thought the hardest thing would be remembering stroke order, but once it’s been written a few times it’s quite easy to remember, a lot feel pretty natural in their order. But what I wasn’t expecting was how hard it is to try and keep the kanji in proportion to itself. My first attempt without a kanji guide must have been listening to Free Bird because no silly box could contain that eagle. I also think I was getting a little too liberal with that last, long stroke of 鳥 (not the dots), it was becoming a little too curly :grin:

7 Likes

There, fixed that for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I mean, we’re talking Dazai here, no? I’d be really surprised to read a happy-go-lucky story authored by him… :thinking:

Indeed! Especially as I did not participate because I could not come up with a good idea on what to do because I had set myself on reaching 1000 pages this month, and so I was a bit preoccupied :sweat_smile:
But today I had a good idea or two, so I’ll save them for the next calendar thing!

Please let us know when you do! I would like to read more stories like 人間椅子 and the like :blush:

5 Likes

Dec 24

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:24

Kun: うろこ、 こけ、 こけら
On: リン

Words of the day: へんりん (part; portion; glimpse; bit), からうろこちる (to see the light; to be awakened to the truth; to have the scales fall from one’s eyes​), げきりんれる (to infuriate one’s superior; to incur the anger of one’s boss), かいりん (fish and shellfish)

Our very last kanji! It’s hard to find any frequently used ones with so many strokes. 鱗 means scales (like of a fish). It’s a Jinmeiyō kanji (used in names) and 2494 of 2500 most used kanji in newspapers.

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations:

7 Likes

Days 23 and 24

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree: :smile:

Now I think it’s high time I practice writing the kana :joy:

< day 22

8 Likes

December 24 :christmas_tree:

Kanji writing
Origami
Song
Mystery book reading

Kanji:

Origami:

I used glue instead of double-sided sticky tape because mine wasn’t transparent, and added a small wire hook instead of a ribbon after having already glued it.

Book:

The very last footnote in the book I had been reading as part of the advent challenge goes like this:

初生びな鑑別法の一つだが、実際には熟練が必要であり、こんなに簡単にはいかない。

Talk about a coincidence! :joy:

Song:
I haven’t commented on the song advent calendar at all so far. I listened to each day’s song as I was doing my writing practice. As the writing took longer and longer each day, the songs started to be too short, so I sought more music in this thread :https://community.wanikani.com/t/favorite-japanese-music/59735. It’s been a while since I actually selected music to listen to instead of listening to whatever was on on the radio. I’m inspired to possibly keep looking for Japanese music that may suit my tastes, so thanks for the incentive :slight_smile:

That’s all folks! :tada:
So, this is the last day of our advent! Thank you to everyone who participated, and everyone who just dropped by to see what we were up to! I hope it was as productive and fun for you as it was for me! Have a lovely Christmas (/holiday/rest of December) everyone! :christmas_tree: :star2:

8 Likes

:spiral_calendar: :christmas_tree: Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 – Day 24 :christmas_tree: :spiral_calendar:

December 24th

Today’s Kanji:

Kun’yomi: くつした, たび

On’yomi: ベツ, モチ, バツ, マチ

Meaning: socks, stockings

Kun’yomi: かぶとがに

On’yomi: コウ, グ, ヨク, オク

Meaning: king crab

:fountain_pen: Kanji writing

Kanji writing practice

Last day of practice today.
I picked two Kanji again, one slightly Christmas-themed one…and a crab.
But not a regular crab, a king crab!
Since I didn’t grasp the opportunity to write crab and alligator when the time was right, I opted for the king crab as some sort of compensation – surely it is a distant relative of the Crabigator, no?

All in all, the challenge was welcome and I got an opportunity to practice writing some Kanji regularly for a short period of time. Granted, the last few days became a little bit painful and tedious because of so many strokes per Kanji but it was still nice to see what kinds of Kanji exist and the Kanji all of you picked for your practice.
I quite enjoyed seeing everyone’s contribution and it was nice being a part of an unconventional Advent calendar. Maybe some of us will do something along these lines next year again – who knows? :slightly_smiling_face:

With that, I want to wish everyone who celebrates Christmas a Happy Holidays – and to everyone who doesn’t celebrate a pleasant weekend. :grinning:

@omk3

Interesting that it wasn’t that difficult apart from it taking a lot of time but 20 sheets…20 SHEETS?! :flushed:
I did not expect this many, holy moly! Now, I really need to take a look at the video.
You have (had) a lot of perseverance for attempting and succeeding to make this one, congrats, again! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes
day 24

the last day!! 逆転裁判 – pretty sure this is a novelisation of the film, which ofc is an adaptation of the first game (with some other stuff? Can’t remember). Just a fun little piece of familiarity to close out the calendar, nothing too exciting here though it’s always fun to see the 矢張・やっぱり pun in action.

this has been a really fun month, even when i wasn’t super into whatever i was reading. i’ve been really proud of myself for reading (sometimes quite a lot, depending on the sample) every day, and it’s made me want to keep going even after this!

following this thread has been great fun, and i’m looking forward to doing this again next year! hope everyone had as much fun/found it as productive as i did :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Day … all of them:christmas_tree:
Back to home post

I may not have uploaded my writing every day, but I did my best to follow along. I’m a bit sad I couldn’t do the same for the origami, but I underestimated how exhausting this season is. Thank you for organizing this @omk3 !

11 Likes