Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 🎄 🇯🇵

:spiral_calendar: :christmas_tree: Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 – Day 5 :christmas_tree: :spiral_calendar:

December 5th

Today’s Kanji:

Kun’yomi: なが.い

On’yomi: エイ

Meaning: eternity; long, lengthy

:fountain_pen: Kanji writing

Kanji writing practice

The ink on my black pen (last three rows) is starting to run out, I’ll use another black-coloured(?) one tomorrow.

Other than that, I’ll mostly keep choosing Kanji that I haven’t encountered in Wanikani yet, so I can hopefully recognise them once they show up in my lessons.

10 Likes

Oh how fun!!!
I will pick something new to do every day!
What a great idea
Day 1/25
Today: A Japanese tradition:
Actually I just read abunch on this website

Summary
  • Study a grammar point a day
  • Read a short story a day (maybe holiday related?)
  • Read a sample of a random new book per day (and discover new things to read)
  • Translate a sentence (out of a book?) a day
  • Read about a different prefecture/ city/area of Japan every day
  • Listen to a different Japanese song every day (maybe holiday related?)
  • Read about a different Japanese tradition every day (Christmas or otherwise) :white_check_mark:
  • Find one instance of interesting onomatopoeia every day
  • Read about and practice writing a kanji per day (stroke number could correspond to day of the month for extra fun)
10 Likes

December 5
Winter song
Kanji writing
Origami

Winter song

The fifth song was not available in my country! So I ended up watching this live performance. My goodness… What a voice! I couldn’t catch any words for the first time cause I was just so focused on her singing. I also think it’s more difficult to recognize words cause she prolongs a lot of syllables in the song.

I looked up the song after and found it’s the ending theme song of Sword Art Online Season 2? I’ve seen some posters for it at Book Off and some other shops and was curious, but never watched the anime. And then I read that it started in 2012. Wowwww. That’s crazy. I guess they’re still churning out episodes until now? I probably won’t watch since I already have too much to catch up on!

Kanji writing

Decided to do two 5 stroke kanji today because the origami challenge today was fairly easy and quick and someone else’s choice had caught my eye because it’s in my list of leeches!

Words of interest for 他 not in older posts:

• 他力「たりき」outside help, savation by faith
  • 他生「たしょう」previous existence, future existence
  • 他界「たかい」death, the next world; to pass away, to die

Words of interest for 永 not in older posts:

• 永眠「えいみん」 eternal sleep, death
  • 末永く「すえなが」forever, everlastingly, for many years to come

I seem to have a theme in my words of interest. :hushed:

Origami

No Japanese language notes on origami today except related to our origami teacher. I noticed it in the previous videos but just wanna say, this lady is so good at folding and so fast!! I keep having to rewind so I can follow. Even for this simple envelope! :sweat_smile:

Hoping tomorrow’s toy is not as hard as the first! :crossed_fingers:

Replies

@deliana88 thanks for the references for Love Live. Not sure if I have time to play any time soon, but I do like rhythm games and will take note of it!! Thanks for the songs so far, by the way. I’m really enjoying discovering japanese songs.

@omk3 @Beyond_Sleepy @Midnightblue you all have so much courage to write freely without the practice lines! Well done! I think I’ll do the same for tomorrow’s kanji. But I realized it will just be getting harder from here on with the number of strokes also getting higher… :flushed:

:sweat_smile: I thought it was going to be by ordered by difficulty level as well. So I was really shocked by Day 2! But thank you for these links! I’m really warming up to ばあばーさん’s voice. I wish we could somehow send her photos of our creations by the end of this as a thanks.

<<day 4 day 6>>

10 Likes

In my opinion season 1 at least is worth watching on its own merit if you like the genre/premise, although the ending is quite unsatisfying.

Ty :blush:

I think getting the right visual balance will get easier the more strokes we’ll need to fit in. What seems hardest to me is getting the negative space of the kanji to look right, so the less of it there is the happier I’ll be (I say now, but I might change my mind. This is my first time actually practicing kanji). My attempts at first kanji look the worst ^^;

4 Likes

:u7981: Advent of Ascending Kanji - Day 05 :secret:

Five stroke kanji: 冬

Winter
Kun: ふゆ
On: トウ

Practice

Could not get this one right at all, still doesn’t look right, all my attempts were pretty messy, they get pretty wild on the no-grid attempts. Also the two jabs at the end, I kept forgetting which way they’re supposed to face, it felt more natural to go the non-correct way :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

Day 5:christmas_tree:
Back to home post

Ah, one of my leeches.

And I’m glad today’s origami is so simple, I was having kind of a bad day.

11 Likes

:christmas_tree: :snowflake: Advent Day 5

Read: NHK news article

Summary: Sony has made a device that can make an avatar move according to how you move. The metaverse is trying it out(?) and videos have been made with these avatars.

Thoughts: I looked up a couple kanji to help me understand the article better, but I think I understood it somewhat. It’s an interesting prospect, but I somewhat doubt that this will go anywhere anytime soon. Again, I’m happy with how I managed to read through this!

10 Likes

Today’s reading was 余と万年筆 by 夏目漱石 and I read it along with this 朗読.

My first time reading 漱石! I have to admit, I was underwhelmed? But it’s also an essay about his thoughts on pens, so it’s maybe not the best introduction. I didn’t actively dislike his writing style (like has been the case for 芥川) so there’s that. Difficult old writing for sure - 明治45, or 1912. Anything pre-昭和 is so hard :weary:

When I first read it this morning I came away from it completely baffled, feeling like I only understood a little bit of what he’d written, but just now I re-read and focused more on listening to the read through and it made a lot more sense. Still not 100%, but like 70-80%?

Tomorrow is another 宮沢賢治 children’s story. And then again 2 days later…
It wasn’t intentional at all, I don’t have any particular feelings about him as an author. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Days 3 to 5

Kanji Calendar

Ascending Stroke Order Kanji Advent Calendar

:sparkles:

:sparkles:
1 2 3 4
5 6 :deer: 7 :snowflake: 8 :gift: 9 :star2: 10 :christmas_tree: 11 :dizzy:
12 :star2: 13 :christmas_tree: 14 :snowman_with_snow: 15 :santa:t2: 16 :deer: 17 :snowflake: 18 :gloves:
19 :snowflake: 20 :gift: 21 :dizzy: 22 :gloves: 23 :snowman_with_snow: 24 :star2:

For Day 3, I practiced writing 之. I chose it because of how odd it looks. It was actually kind of challenging. Maybe this is just teaching me that I’m not much of a calligrapher. :sweat_smile: Still, it’s fun trying to get as close to the example as I can. This day’s word was a hefty yojijukugo, 之字運動, which means “zig-zag motion.”

Like @Midnightblue, I chose 幻 for Day 4. With a meaning like “phantasm,” I just couldn’t resist. The word that I practiced at the end is 幻聴, meaning “an auditory hallucination.” I really like that you can further specify the type of hallucination by adding on 聴 to 幻.

Once I saw that 凸 was a 5-stroke kanji, I knew which one I was choosing for today. :grin: Naturally, my practice word HAD to be 凸凹. This is a kanji where it’s so easy to see whether you messed up on the evenness of the top half. I also decided to include the stroke orders for both kanji because I think they’re so interesting and went against my initial intuition.

Song Calendar

Winter Song Calendar - Day 3
Winter Song Calendar - Day 4
Winter Song Calendar - Day 5

My bias comes out yet again: I love LiSA, and even though the video has her in a desert (and hence not having much of a Christmas-vibe), that was of course my favorite one. I don’t really have a strong opinion about the snow halation video: I’ve known about the song and Love Live for a while, and while I guess making the outfits white would’ve been more in-theme, I don’t really care either way. :laughing:

Short Story Calendar

冬の物語 - Day 3 (猫の手)
冬の物語 - Day 4 (てぶくろ かたっぽ)
冬の物語 - Day 5 (凍れる星の論争)

Day 3’s story was the perfect short story for this collection: took place in winter and used the season in its storytelling, was cute and cozy, and featured a cat. :cat2: I honestly couldn’t have asked for more. Was it predictable? Yes, very much so. Do I care? Not really. That being said, the story poses an interesting idea: that, because Santa is old, he doesn’t really understand/know about the newfangled toys kids these days are asking for. I’m not sure I agree with this idea, though I can’t say it isn’t a unique perspective. Feel free to share your own thoughts about this. :grin:

Day 4’s story is on the other end of the spectrum: it features a college student climbing up a mountain to meet the other members of his children’s literature research club. The plan is for them to have a 合宿 at a cottage on the mountain. On the way, he runs into a well-dressed man who tells him about a shortcut up the mountain. As they chat and climb together, the conditions get worse (it’s winter time, and there’s a lot of snow). The man tries asking the narrator about this one tale he’s heard of about a missing glove. This is where things take quite the turn. As it turns out, the man is the one who’s missing the glove, and he asks the narrator to help him look for it. The narrator thinks he’s found it, only to discover there’s something inside: a skeleton hand! The man reveals he’s missing a hand, and his clothes are now all bloody. The narrator passes out and awakens with the rest of his group. He later learns there was an accident a long time ago where a man died and his body was severely damaged. Only his left hand, still in its mitten, couldn’t be found. Though the vibe of the story was different from the cat one, I really liked the twist this one had. It’s a simple idea, but it was executed pretty decently.

I’ll try to catch up on Day 5’s story tomorrow, along with Day 6’s.

10 Likes

I just noticed that you’re making origami! Would you cross post your creations here or could I share a link to your posts?
https://community.wanikani.com/t/origami-appreciation-thread-2-%E6%8A%98%E3%82%8A%E7%B4%99%E5%A5%BD%E3%81%8D%EF%BC%81/55052

5 Likes

Dec 6

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:6

Kun: き
On: キ、 ケ

Words of the day: うわ (extramarital sex; affair; fooling around), なにない (casual; unconcerned; nonchalant). (blood (in one’s face, cheeks, etc.), colour, hotheadedness, impulsive temperament)

While there are many great 6-stroke kanji, I could not not do 気. It’s ubiquitous, uniquely Japanese (or at least does not have a direct equivalent in Western languages as far as I know), and can mean more or less anything (well, it means things like spirit, mind, air, atmosphere, mood, but it changes so much depending on what it’s attached to). Of course it’s taught in the first grade and it’s JLPT level N5, and WK level 4. I find its shape very pleasant too.

Japanese Calligrapher Takumi teaches us how to write it here:

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations (for once I find even the last one recognizable):

11 Likes

There’s a bunch of us doing an origami a day for 24 days. That might be a little too many links or cross posts. I’m thinking a post with all 24 pics by each one of us (obviously I can only speak for myself) at the end might be best? (Please remind me if I forget)

5 Likes

That would be fantastic! I hope I can join y’all late. I was thinking that I’d be no longer crunching by this week’s Monday, but it looks like I’m busy all week :sob:

5 Likes

I’m not going to post in that thread but I can’t stop you from linking my stuff there. But please don’t do that.

3 Likes

I’m busy.
What does the fox say? こんこん
Today is done. Good-bye
Day 2/25 onomatopoeia

Summary
  • Study a grammar point a day
  • Read a short story a day (maybe holiday related?)
  • Read a sample of a random new book per day (and discover new things to read)
  • Translate a sentence (out of a book?) a day
  • Read about a different prefecture/ city/area of Japan every day
  • Listen to a different Japanese song every day (maybe holiday related?)
  • Read about a different Japanese tradition every day (Christmas or otherwise) :white_check_mark:
  • Find one instance of interesting onomatopoeia every day :white_check_mark:
  • Read about and practice writing a kanji per day (stroke number could correspond to day of the month for extra fun)
10 Likes

December 6

Kanji writing
Origami
Song
Mystery book reading

Kanji writing

Origami

Thankfully this wasn’t as hard as the previous toy.
Here it is static:

And in action:

10 Likes

I’m sorry to have made you uncomfortable

4 Likes

December 6

Winter song
Kanji writing
Origami

Winter song

Today’s song had so many surprises for me:

• Non-japanese singing in Japanese was a first for me to see!
  • English verses after the Japanese verse
  • Rapping on two occasions

So much diversity!! From instruments, to kind of singing, to language and race! I just love it! I also wanted to look up the english translation and found the original song, which I also enjoyed. It seems the original song was about a break up? Is this new song answering to that? Is it a happy ending now?

Reading more into the lyrics of the one that was linked, I’m not sure I really understood the story it’s trying to tell. I couldn’t make sense of any of the english lyrics, tbh.

Kanji writing

Yayyy! I love today’s pick because I looked through the list beforehand and was thinking to practice this one.

Words of interest not already posted:

• 気楽「きらく」carefree, comfortable; easygoing, happy-go-lucky
  • お気に入り「おきにいり」favorite, pet (teacher’s pet); bookmark (in web browser)
  • 気候変動「きこうへんどう」climate change
Origami

Was honestly intimidated by this one watching the first few seconds of the video. But it was easier than I expected! I think I’ll be sending the toys I make to my nephew! :slight_smile:

Replies

@Beyond_Sleepy it will only get better as you practice! I think they look good considering this is your first time trying! I’ve had a lot of practice with also learning Hangeul previously and I learned the kana writing way back like 10 years ago. Kanji is definitely way more difficult! Tried out free style this day’s kanji btw. And will download the pilot episode of Sword Art Online to see if i like it.

@softlyraining loved your choice of 3-stroke and 5-stroke kanji. That five stroke one looks like tetris to me. Haven’t encountered any of those kanji in WK yet, but have seen them in the wild… Wonder which levels they’ll show up on here.

@DIO-Berry happy to post mine on your origami thread at the end as suggested. I may also need a reminder though. Hoping to see your creations on here soon!

<<day 5 day 7>>

10 Likes
Reply on privacy

Your pics are your own to do with as you please. When I suggested a post with all 24 origami at the end in the origami thread, I meant that each person would post their own pics if they so wished. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn’t intending to repost anyone else’s pics. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Day 6

Tricky:) I’ll have to practice a lot more to figure out how I want to write it^^;

< day 5 day 7 >

10 Likes