Jalup Apps shutting down Fall 2022

Thanks, that’s super useful info. Sounds like I may be in a good position to support your recommended approach too, so that’s great. I’m going to save this comment and look at it again when I get to work pulling Kanji Kingdom to Nihongo.

The ability to transfer User Notes would be a huge help! I add a lot of additional sentences to User Notes field and being able to import my User Notes from Jalup app to Nihongo easily, would be the number 1 feature for me. Please make that happen if possible :blush:

The ability to transfer User Notes would be a huge help! I add a lot of additional sentences to User Notes field and being able to import my User Notes from Jalup app to Nihongo easily, would be the number 1 feature for me. Please make that happen if possible :blush:

P.s. I hope someone can also make it possible to transfer User Notes to Anki. Since its CSV format should it not be fairly easy?

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense! I will definitely try to include that.

V1 of my new “Nihongo Lessons” app with Jalup content is launching December 1st. You can pre-order now so it’ll automatically download when it comes out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope you guys like where I’m going with it. More work to do, and keep the feedback coming. :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry to be a little off topic, but could you link me anything about making Anki look as pretty as yours does in that screenshot? I’d like to make the jump over to it but the ugly default interface has been the biggest obstacle so far.

1 Like

To get the same styling I have for my cards you have to go to

• Tools → Manage Note Types
  • Select the Jalup note type and select “Fields”
  • change the names to match with mine as shown below (without the 1:, 2:, …)
  • Go back the the manage note types window
  • select the Jalup note type and select “cards”
  • Copy Paste the below code for Front, Back and Styling
Field Names

1: Sentence_plain
2: Word_plain
3: Notes
4: Audio
5: Reading

Front Template
<div class=sentencebg>

{{Sentence_plain}} 

</div>
Back Template
<div class=sentencebg>

{{furigana:Reading}}

<hr>

{{Word_plain}}

<br>

{{Audio}}

</div>

{{#Notes}}

<br><br><div class=dictionary>メモ</div><div class=definition>{{Notes}}</div>

{{/Notes}}
Styling
@font-face {
  font-family: "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro W3";
  src: url("_hirakakyprow3.otf");
}

.card{
  font-size: 20px;
  text-align: center;
  color: black;
  background-color: white;
}

.sentencebg{
  font-size: 30px;
  color: #fff;
  background-color: #ad1833;
  border-radius: 7px;
  padding: 15px;
}

.dictionary{
  color: #fff;
  border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0px;
  background-color: #ad1833;
}

.definition {
  position: relative;
  top: -3px;
  background-color: #ededed;
  padding: 15px;
  padding-bottom: 15px;
  padding-left: 30px;
  padding-right: 30px;
  border-radius: 0px 0px 10px 10px; 
  text-align: left;
  color: black;
}

You can change the field names to whatever you want afterwards, they should just match before you paste in my styling. Afterwards Anki will adjust the code of the styling automatically if you change the names.

As for general guides on styling, I sadly don’t know any without going onto a google search myself.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! So helpful!

@GrumpyPanda and all, it’s worth checking out the Jalup update today.

1 Like

Aaaaaand Nihongo Lessons is live!

Thanks a bunch for all your feedback. I managed to get some but not all of your requests into V1, but I’ll be continuing to improve the app so keep the feedback coming, and I’ll try to get to it soon. The big one I didn’t get to that I know there were multiple requests for were importing your flashcard notes – rest assured, that’s my top priority for my next update.

Feel free to reach out to me at chris@nihongo-app.com if you have more feedback. Thanks!

4 Likes

It would be nice if it is formatted for the iPad. :paw_prints:

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. It’s phone-only for now just because I wanted to get it out the door and focus on polishing a single user experience, but I definitely plan on adding iPad support soon.

I don’t suppose your app site could provide clarification on the two discounted packages?

There are two discounts available – a 50% discount for people that have purchased the content previously through the old iOS Jalup App, Anki decks, or the Android app. And a 15% discount for subscribers to Nihongo Pro.

I’m planning on adding a pricing section the website soon.

Just released my first significant feature update for Nihongo Lessons, and it addresses some of the issues people mentioned here.

@takeshitanaka user notes are now supported in the app, and if you previously imported your flashcard contents from Jalup, they should automatically be added to your flashcards in Nihongo Lessons.

I also added cloud syncing between devices, more options for when to play audio, an option to switch to 5 cards/day instead of 10, and a number of other minor bug fixes and improvements. If you have any more thoughts/feedback, don’t hesitate to reach out!

1 Like