Jalup Apps shutting down Fall 2022

I think it might be because it’s a steaming pile of crap. But that’s just a stab in the dark.

1 Like

I’ll take it gladly. I’ve created a test deck but your template doesn’t show.

Sent you link on Discord.

1 Like

There’s a bit of a learning curve. It just requires a bit of looking into how it works and some experience to make it work for you. But in the end it’s the most powerful and customizable of the bunch. Doesn’t help there’s a lot of bad information out there, as well. I do most of my reviews on the iOS app, which works really well.

4 Likes

Can ya share the decks with me as well? I can send you a link to a screenshot via discord or something.

I plan on importing them into kitsun as well.

Absolutely. Give me your Discord handle.

Wow, you have two lifetime accounts?

1 Like

KillerofGods#7512

Thank you very much!

Hey all, creator of Nihongo here. Just found this thread. Happy to answer any questions you have.

I’d also love any feedback on what you want to see preserved as Jalup content moves into Nihongo. I’m a big fan of Jalup and am really hoping to make it even better in Nihongo. I’m just getting started with the integration, so there’s plenty of time to influence its direction.

At the very least, I think having Jalup deeply integrated into a full-blown dictionary app will give some nice improvements to looking up words in the cards, seeing conjugations, contained kanji, getting more example sentences, etc.

A couple things I already see in this thread:

• I can say that card-linking will definitely be preserved. I know that’s an important part of what makes Jalup great.

• Things have moved moved pretty quickly so I haven’t had a lot of time to think through pricing yet, but I definitely want to figure out something that feels fair for people that have already purchased Jalup content through one of the apps. So there will be a discount for sure. I just need to figure out what exactly that looks like.

8 Likes

Hey, glad to have you! I saw you’ve already answered some questions on your own blog post about Jalup, so my curiosity has been mostly satisfied, but what I’m a bit curious about is how Jalup and Kanji will relate in your App.
Kanji Kingdom is very reflective of Adams old mindset of “Learn these 2000 scribbles, then you can start learning Japanese!”, or less dramatically “Doing RTK up front.”
Even though I’ve stopped using WaniKani fairly early on, what stuck with me is how they paired Kanji study with vocab study. Even while mining my own cards now, I only add new Kanji to my deck when I add vocabulary that contains them.
This could never be done with Jalup, because the ordering of Kanji Kingdom and Jalup Main doesn’t match up.

So here’s the question: If someone is a complete beginner, no basics except Kana, can they learn Kanji within your app and if so, how will this relate to Jalup Main?

2 Likes

haha, no. 無理だよ

1 Like

Outside the decks, shadowing would be #1 feat for me.
I don’t own an ios device though, but a correct mac app/compatibility layer would work. Best would be Android of course …

Oh, and blogs post. But that’s outside your scope.

Good question, and I will say that I am still thinking about that and don’t have a firm answer yet.

My strategy for learning kanji has always been more like the one you described - learning kanji along with words. And this approach is actually already in Nihongo today, in the form of the kanji decks you can find at the bottom of the Flashcards tab. Basically, each deck introduces 4-6 new kanji. First you learn 1-3 new words for each reading of each of the kanji. Then you learn to write the kanji, being prompted by filling in the missing kanji from the words you just learned.

This is very different from RTK or Kanji Kingdom, which are trying to teach you kanji meanings independent of their use in vocabulary. I think there’s merit to those approaches as well, but I haven’t used them extensively myself. I admit I’ve only played around with Kanji Kingdom, and only ever got about 200 or so into RTK.

So, I’m not quite sure what I want to do yet, which is part of why I’m going to focus on the vocab decks first, since that’s a clearer path. Then I’ll have to decide how it makes sense for Kanji Kingdom to exist side-by-side with my existing kanji learning approach. Maybe there’s room for both, for people who like to learn in different ways? I’d love to hear from anyone who used kanji kingdom and loved it.

1 Like

Would love to hear more about what you’d like in terms of shadowing. Having sentence flashcards that play the audio, and you can speak along with?

The app is available today on M1 Macs via the “run iPad apps on Mac” feature, and I’m testing and maintaining it, so it should work well. I use it myself pretty regularly. Intel Mac version is definitely on my list, but probably after Jalup integration.

I suppose why I’m asking is because what always stopped me from seeing Jalup as a complete standalone resource is that if you didn’t want to do KanjiKingdom (completely or at least a decent chunk of it) before even getting started with Jalup Beginner, you were sort of left to your own devices.
While Jalup Beginner doesn’t contain a lot of kanji, it does contain enough that I don’t think one would want to jump into it without having studied kanji at all.

Me and the people I did Jalup with paired it with WaniKani at first, but once we reached Jalup Intermediate we sort of lost the taste for learning vocabulary with English definitions. We all went about learning Kanji in different ways - starting KanjiKingdom instead, creating our own Anki deck just for Jalup kanji, dropping kanji study entirely and just learning through exposure - but it all sort of felt like making due with what options one had.

(Sorry for the rambling monologue even though you’ve said you don’t have a firm answer yet :see_no_evil: )

In the future, could you see what kanji study is already implemented within your app being compatible with Jalup for those that don’t want to do KanjiKingdom?

2 Likes

That is actually quite a good idea for WK, for example from level 51 to 60, the meanings could also have a Japanese synonym. So you can answer with either the English meaning or Japanese meaning. But for this, the user may have to install Japanese IME first.

2 Likes

This is really great feedback. I think that makes a lot of sense to make versions of those kanji decks that line up with Jalup content.

J-J definitions in-app is another gap in Nihongo I’m hoping to fill soon. When you’re sentence mining now, are you just grabbing J-J definitions from Weblio or something and making your own flashcards?

3 Likes

Yes. I’m looking up unknown words in monolingual dictionaries while reading and if there’s a word or sentence I like, I’ll add them to Anki. The cards themselves are pretty much in the Jalup format. Sentence on front, definition and audio snippet from the audiobook on the back.
Personally I’m a pretty big fan of Daijirin - big plus that it comes native on all Apple devices through the integrated dictionary app, can you legally tap into that for your own app? - but I’m not quite there yet in terms of knowing every word in most of the definitions, so I also got myself a couple others in the Monokakido Dictionaries app. With the slightly different wording in each dictionary I’m usually golden :3

Nice, I’ll look at those.

As for the system-integrated Daijirin, I can open up the built-in dictionary viewer for a word, but can’t actually access the text of the definitions themselves to do anything more interesting, like being able to tap on those words to look up definitions. You can get to the built-in dictionary entry for a word in Nihongo by holding down on the word and then tapping “view in iPhone dictionary”.

1 Like

Yep, exactly.

1 Like