I've been doing it wrong

I thought I knew how to write hiragana, but apparently I don’t.

As a bonus, the vid makes for good listening practice too.

17 Likes
10 Likes

watching Japanese people write English letters is pretty interesting too haha

5 Likes

Think these rules only apply when you’re using a mechanical pencil. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve seen these videos before. They’re actually pretty interesting

2 Likes

I think my favorite is when they write N like an H, with the outside lines first then cross them.

3 Likes

Anybody else see stuff like this, then decides to try writing, only to see how awful your japanese handwriting is (And let’s be real, so is the english one)… like so bad the paper burns itself afterwards.

I swear I can’t write a proper す and の… like they would be recognizable for sure, but ugly, and weird… but mostly ugly.
On the flipside I wrote a pretty cute 行 the other day, never once did I manage to write it just as good, but hey, I got one lol

4 Likes

Sadly this is how we are supposed to teach it by MEXT standards. Like W is literally a V into another V or m is three strokes. First the line down, then the first hump making a n, followed by the final hump to make a m, instead of, you know, one stroke.

1 Like

Hold up, is it really? I’ve never actually seen the standards for handwriting, but man that’s dumb. No wonder my ES JTE “corrects” my handwriting sometimes :joy: Ah well, I’ve gotten to the point where my JHS lets me tell them order doesn’t actually matter as long as it looks right, (and as far as I know, there’s no actual test on how to write letters?) so I’ll just keep ignoring the “right” way.

3 Likes

Not the government being dumb lol
Like where did they get those stroke orders from?
And why are they apparently so strict on them? Or do they not know that in the west, while I guess we do have an universal way of writing letters, no one really cares if some people do it weirdly, since rarely would that change the end product

It’s interesting

2 Likes

I mean if you’ve ever seen handwritten kanji, they break about as many rules or more than we “break” with the English alphabet. Idk how strict they really are about it, some of my kids definitely don’t do it the MEXT way, but I think more do just because it’s what they learned and practiced. It’s not like teachers are standing over their shoulders making them start over if the strokes are wrong.

3 Likes

@tzukishiro It is because they are tested on the ‘stroke order’ of the letters as well as if they are kanji. It is silly. When I teach writing I am always looking at the guide before tell the students how to do it to make sure I am doing it the way MEXT wants me to.

2 Likes

They do have a test on stroke order?? When does that happen? I guess luckily enough I have a JTE for 5/6th grades, and (partially unluckily, I only do 3rd/4th at one of three schools and the 4th grade teacher is great. The 3rd grade teacher I could do without.) the 3rd/4th grades are planned by homeroom teachers, so I don’t have to know the details quite that thoroughly.

Never seen a teacher mention stroke order for letters. Maybe they do it when I’m not around, but it doesn’t seem like they care when they write things themselves.

1 Like

One of my professors was actually really set on teaching us to write ‘properly’ so I actually learned to write hiragana like that XP

(also, thanks for the listening practice!)

3 Likes

Same guy, but now see this style:

I love how the ゆ and な are written

4 Likes

He’s like a human printer.

3 Likes

See, now he’s not using a mechanical pencil. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.