It would make more sense to teach 敬 (lvl 33) before 警 (lvl 17) since it uses it as a radical

As the title says, 警 (warn) uses 敬 (respect) as a radical, hence why I think it might make sense to teach that kanji and it’s related vocabulary first before introducing it as part of a compound, especially since the related vocab for 敬 aren’t very complicated.

@Mods

19 Likes

I like this. This has my support +

7 Likes

This is my major WK pet peeve - the mnemonics created based on loads of separate radicals when those radicals will “later” actually be combined into one radical :melting_face: Why not teach the radicals progressively? If radicals combine to form a different radical or a kanji, can’t we learn those first before learning a more complex kanji that the radical/kanji is a piece of? Isn’t that the whole point of Wanikani :smiling_face_with_tear:

TL;DR - this is an excellent idea, yes, yes please :raised_hands:

10 Likes

Absolutely. I don’t like it when you learn kanji based on radicals and then you have a combined radical later on. If we can get even 1 instance of this away, then by all means.

2 Likes

As a general thing, not a comment on this particular pair of kanji, the trouble with a pure progressive ordering is that it will tend to put many kanji that are comparatively rare early in the sequence and kanji that are common late in the sequence. So there’s a tradeoff between this and “teach the kanji and vocab that are going to be most useful first”. RTK takes a very pure progressive based ordering approach, and tends to get dinged for teaching “gall bladder” very early and “bird” very late…

9 Likes

Hah, I also recently ran into this realization when learning 警 in level 17. Fortunately I happened to see via a userscript that the top two radicals make up their own kanji. The WK mnemonic was overly complicated for me, but “respect” + “say” makes complete sense for something like “warn” to my brain.

3 Likes

Ignore the radicals and use something like the keisei (phono semantic composition) script instead.

I went through exactly the same frustration and it helped a lot. I think WaniKani’s radicals are useful early on when you start but become a hindrance as you start building a decent kanji inventory.

For one thing they obscure many useful phonetic components, like in your example.

I actually complained about this very kanji (among others) almost a year ago: It feels like WK somewhat loses its way partway through

6 Likes

Yeah, in later levels it’s a lot more efficient to just recognize phonetic components and not bother with the mnemonics–eventually some kanji are complex enough that memorizing the mnemonic is really convoluted. Of course, the phonetics aren’t always consistent and they have nothing to do with kun’yomi readings, but it’s a good start.

6 Likes

Hey, someone got level 60 I can see :grin: congrats! Are you going to make a level 60 post?

4 Likes

What other strategies have you implemented as kanji got more abstract and complex as the levels progressed?

Thank you!

I think so, but I have a vocab backlog I want to clear out first to do it “properly” with everything guru’d and all that. A real level 60 you know!

5 Likes

Making up my own mnemonic for some that fits easier. Also, and this is more for vocab, but you’ll come across a lot of words with the same kun’yomi reading. Wanikani sometimes points this out but not always, so it can be helpful if you can connect those dots

Or–this is where reading native material helps–sometimes I’ll already recognize a kanji from a vocab word that I already know pretty well. Then it’s obv not too hard to memorize it for WK

2 Likes

It would be great if there was only one way (or as few as possible ways at least) to break down a kanji into radicals.

Regarding introducing some rare kanji earlier as components of other kanji: I don’t think it’s a huge problem because there will be relatively few of them, and introducing them as radicals is also an option

2 Likes

This! This is the userscript I mentioned in my post above that alerted me to 敬, just couldn’t remember which script at the time of posting.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ping! I have passed this along to the content team for review!

-Nick at WK

2 Likes

In my opinion, there are so many that don’t make sense. Sometimes they teach kanji and then bring the same kanji back as a radical (instead of just corporations the kanji in the next mnemonic) and also the other way around. Teaching the radical and then the radical shows up as a kanji like 12 levels later. Imho, those should be taught close to each other or just skip the “radical” and use kanji as reading help more often. Sometimes my own mnemonics that use the kanji make more sense than some construed ones that have like 5 radicals instead of one radical and one kanji…

2 Likes

What user script are you using to see that?

I kinda get the feeling they’re mostly doing that to buffer when the next half of the level’s kanji opens up without really having more actual radicals to teach. Since levels are kind of awkwardly split into two parts due to the second half opening up after you complete your “radicals.”

Not excusing it, I find it annoying too. But I guess it helps people who aren’t immersing as much as they should so they don’t forget these characters past their burn date?

1 Like

This one

Also sorry for off topic but are you a Lucub by any chance because I think I recognize your username from somewhere else

Ah thanks, I’m already using that lol.
Altho i didn’t really consider that use for it.

Sry to disappoint, but i think you mean someone else.
I can only imagine what a lucub might be