ISLAND 🏝 (Visual Novel Book Club) [ongoing]

Made some progress on Rinne’s route. I’m at the start of chapter: Epilogue of summer

Thoughts

Feels like a common theme in this game is that the more I read, the less I actually understand about the mystery :stuck_out_tongue:

When Sara was explaining what happened in the past with Setsuna killing the other Setsuna, I don’t understand how Sara would have known all of that or why they instantly believed her? Don’t know if I missed something during that scene.

I’m not really sure if I understood Rinne’s reaction too. If Sara’s theory was true, wouldn’t the current Setsuna still be the same one that Rinne loved, just from a parallel world? Rinne going all yandere mode was kind of funny though.

At this point I don’t know who is or isn’t Setsuna or anything but there is still a lot of story left for them to eventually explain it all :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think I’m nearly done with Karen’s route. It’s just that every time I think it’s finally over, there’s another epilogue. Well, maybe tomorrow.

3 Likes

How to summarise ISLAND in one sentence :smiling_face_with_tear:

Or in two sentences even :joy:

3 Likes

Finally done with the last epilogue of Karen’s route. Starting Sara’s tomorrow.
I wish I could still find all the posts other people have already made about this route, but they’re buried too deep.

Route A final thoughts

This route sometimes felt a bit unnecessarily drawn-out, but all in all, I liked it.
Small bits of information about the greater picture were thrown around and they did their job to hook me and make me more curious. The ending left me with a lot of questions, especially about Subaru’s motives.

I’m not all that interested in the romance parts in the first place, but except for the occasional cringe-lewd parts already mentioned, I felt this route did a reasonably good job of developing Setsuna and Karen as a couple of young, immature people who are drawn together because of their shared flaws and who suffer setbacks for the same reason. Setsuna got a chance to fool around, make mistakes without any major consequences and get more self-aware of his own immaturity.

Even though I was reading without a guide, I didn’t encounter any bad endings, but the route I took felt very natural. Right now, I don’t feel any particular urge to go back and explore alternate choices. My overall reading progress is at 17% now.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a bit unfortunate :frowning: maybe I can make a wiki or an edit in the home post with a collection of thoughts per route!

2 Likes

Alright so I went ahead and reread the 265 comments of the thread :stuck_out_tongue:
I made a table with reviews in the second post (the first reply after the main post), let me know if you have any feedback for improvement or if I forgot anything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is perfect! Thank you so much for doing this!

3 Likes

Also made me realize how bad I’ve been myself at posting my thoughts :see_no_evil:
But now that we have an index it’s a nice incentive, you guys don’t have to decide between reading spoilers now or forgetting where my review is and never read it. I need some time to organize the thoughts I’ve written along the way but will definitely post them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unlocked all the endings I could find by myself. There are 2 more that I can’t find! Will look for them a bit more by myself, otherwise use a guide tomorrow. That’s 88% completion in the ending list.

1 Like

Brilliant! Found some stuff to answer:

Route A

That scene where they got to the sea station again only to see it blown up was such a cock-teaser! As for the way back, this time they probably just turned the boat around. But earlier and at the beginning of Route B, I think it’s implied that there’s a current pulling you back to the island as long as you’re conscious enough to stay afloat.

In general, women are expected to use formal language more than men in Japan, so this isn’t that rare in and of itself. However, I also feel like Sara goes beyond what’s expected and strikes an overly formal tone that’s probably part of her whole shrine maiden/local nobility persona, just like always wearing traditional shrine maiden clothes. Karen, on the other hand, often uses rough “male” language and it makes her sound rather tomboyish and carefree.

3 Likes

Found where to go next, without a guide :smiley: I don’t think I’ll do that for every VN, but ISLAND is like my baby at this point, I felt I had to try :x
Last endings, I’m coming for you!!

1 Like

Yay! Have fun with the rest of the way to 100%!

(I’m reading all the guides so I knew in advance that there was more to be found. It was so hard not to spoil it for you by asking the wrong questions these last few days!)

1 Like

Omg, and here I was, trying not to spoil YOU :joy:

1 Like

I did it :smiling_face_with_tear: I finished the game :smiling_face_with_tear: 100% everywhere! :smiling_face_with_tear:
Updating with my final character count in the first post.
I started it in August last year so it took me almost a whole year, wow. I don’t think I knew that it would be so big (but also I started at a very slow pace and had several weeks break from time to time, so it’s definitely doable in less time!)
My brain is a little bit broken from all the things I know now, but I will take a moment and try to make sense of it all. And of course post some thoughts. And list of favorite tracks. And think about what I will do with my life instead now :laughing:

4 Likes

Congratulations on finishing it! I’m looking forward to reading your final thoughts on the game and everything.
If I remember correctly, this was your first VN in Japanese? Definitely a long one to start with :stuck_out_tongue: It’ll be the longest single VN I’ve read by the end of it. I was hoping to finish it before we start Hiver but seeing the final count, not sure if I’ll make it in time. Might have to take another break at the end of the month or find time to read them both.

2 Likes

Yes and yes!!! What’s the character count for the different Flowers, I don’t remember if I ever asked? I feel like they are way shorter but the language is a bit harder.

1 Like

They’re around 280-310k characters per game except for Ete, that one was the shortest at 250k~. So it looks like in Island Route C is longer than any single Flowers game haha. The language is definitely easier in Island though, rarely any weird kanji here and a lot shorter/simple sentences.

Except for Momoka, she'll take up an entire textbox for a single sentence (Route C spoiler)

1 Like

Congratulations! That’s such an accomplishment! What level were you when you started? You must have learned so much while reading this past year!

Regarding the character count, I have a question. You posted the character count for Sara’s route at 396.000. The other routes are much shorter. I think Sara’s route has 2 parts, right? Do you have the character count for each part? I’m guessing that the first part is similar to the other routes? It might make sense to split it in the first post in the thread, but that could be a spoiler too. Hmm… And one more assumption, I think the character count in vndb must be based on the game up until the first part of Sara’s route. Does that sound about right?

What did you think about the ending? I have read some reviews that say that they liked the VN but hated the ending. Some say that the ending in the anime is better than the ending in the VN.

I guess now that you have read the whole thing, you can watch the anime without any risk of anything being spoiled!

2 Likes

Just a comment to this in the first post in the thread - you can toggle between windows mode and full screen using F11. Very convenient if you go from full screen and being able to read everything, to window mode with Textractor, and back again to reading in full screen. Maybe you could edit that in too?

2 Likes

Its also worth checking out JL if you read in full screen mode. It works a lot like yomichan (you can hover over words to look them up etc). There’s an always-on-top overlay and it’ll get the text from textractor to show it on the overlay. GitHub - rampaa/JL: JL is a program for looking up Japanese words and expressions.

It lets you import your own dictionaries and I think you can set up mining to anki with it as well. Here’s a random screenshot I just took to show how it looks

3 Likes