Is WK asking for a blind trust?

I get what you are saying, and I can confidently say that you should trust wanikani.
Even though I’m just level 17 I can tell you how much my recognition of kanji has improved. I also didn’t trust it blindly, because there are many people that vouch for it.

3 Likes

This is so wrong lol. You can start with kanji and then moving on to other things. There are some lvl 60s here that haven’t even started with grammar lol. Also knowing the kanji before studying will make going through a textbook a walk in the park.

3 Likes

As someone who just recently started learning Japanese back in September, I would have to also adamantly disagree. Learning kanji using WK has been extremely beneficial in my individual grammar studies and being able to more quickly dive into reading native material than many of the peers in my class who would struggle to read even easy graded readers that I can easily blow through.

I’m starting an intermediate class that finally involves learning kanji and from what I can see, I’ve learned most of them already for most of this class session from my previous run up to level 14. So I can focus more on the substance of grammar, etc. than memorizing kanji because of WK.

2 Likes

That’s true! I probably learn very strangely, as I had the opposite experience. Learning grammar first then Kanji was much smoother; when I started Kanji first I couldn’t remember any of them until they were used in sentences, and understanding sentences required grammar for me.

3 Likes

That’s understandable! I just had the opposite experience where I forgot all the Kanji I learned without grammar to help back it up in example sentences. Hiragana/katakana can carry beginners though grammar lessons for a little bit until they can pick up on their own, then they can flesh it out more with Kanji later, was my thinking process. Sorry, I must have been misleading. Ignore what I said OP! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would actually agree with this. To first get some basics under the belt, so that some vocabs and kanjis are familiar on Wanikani can be helpful. To get a feeling for the language. He seems lost and doesn’t really know how to incorporate Wanikani in his study yet. So, I would guess it may be a bit to early for Wanikani. Maybe give it some more weeks?

4 Likes

Thx @Tinchen
I agree, It’s the most efficient way I think.
I will continue my daily routine with Genki/Class for 4 weeks more, then restart my WK.

Thank you all for your answers, Its a great community at WK, very helpful.
Take care my friends,

6 Likes

Note that there are exceptions to this rule. Words like つき (moon viewing) and ぐち (exit) uses kun’yomi readings. Nevertheless, it is true that on’yomi readings are important, as you said.

1 Like

8 out of 10 Durtles say WaniKani is better than Pepsi in a blind taste test.

Glad the community was able to help you!

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.