Is WaniKani not hard enough for you? (listening comprehension)

Hmmm…Wiped the old version off my laptop, redownloaded, gave my api, then “reloaded”…still not working.

Is it something to do with my Operating system? 10.8.2 Mac, Google Chrome ver. 24.0.1312.56?

Hey ampaze :slight_smile:

Because we love your idea, and are talking about how we still can’t seem to get access to it, thought I’d copy/paste that here so you could see how we are all looking forward to the day the kinks keeping us out are squashed proper :)!

Elexhad said…
deborahchan said…
HatsuHazama said…
deborahchan said…
EskimoJo said…The API tool is great! 
 sad face  
…do you have any hints to make it work - weren’t you having trouble at first too?
 I must back this up myself. I download it, and add the extension to Chrome successfully. I then search for the extension in the url bar, and then open it. There, the screen appears with the audio clip and answer box and stuff, but the audio doesn’t seem to play.
Let me guess.  Stuck on “Loading new word……”
Doesn’t it just make you sniffly? 
 I have the same problem too.
 (see above)

The app works for me and it’s pretty darn awesome.

(sorry for the people it doesn’t work for, I’m not trying to brag or anything just give the creator some praise.)

The only suggestion I have is that you somehow keep track of which vocab terms were played recently as I seem to get the same ones over and over again. I imagine this would probably happen less frequently with the more vocab words you have, but I have about 50 of them and I keep hearing the same 5 or 6 ones over and over again, with a  couple of new ones occasionally popping into the mix. Other than that I have no complaints. This is a great tool. Thanks for letting us use it.

1 Like
fvieira said... Thanks a lot, I also felt like my listening skills needed some improvement, and this might just help with that! Of course there's the problem of similar words being difficult to distinguish outside their context, but it'll have to do for now! =D
 "こう" is a nightmare haha.

Otherwise great work, love using this when I have a free minute to hear a few.
camtuck07 said... The app works for me and it's pretty darn awesome.

(sorry for the people it doesn't work for, I'm not trying to brag or anything just give the creator some praise.)

The only suggestion I have is that you somehow keep track of which vocab terms were played recently as I seem to get the same ones over and over again. I imagine this would probably happen less frequently with the more vocab words you have, but I have about 50 of them and I keep hearing the same 5 or 6 ones over and over again, with a  couple of new ones occasionally popping into the mix. Other than that I have no complaints. This is a great tool. Thanks for letting us use it.
 I believe it - and one day, we'll all have a chance to experience the awesomeness!
Yar.

this is cool! OH!! i have a suggestion. maybe it could say whole sentences and like put a sound before and after the kanji so you know where it is, therefore it will be in context so you know which kanji/meaning to choose, plus you get experience with picking it out of sentences and learning vocabulary.
i mean thats just like a proposition, i don’t know how long doing that would take or anything. im gonna start using this though. thanks!

Awesome :smiley: Love it

metoob said... this is cool! OH!! i have a suggestion. maybe it could say whole sentences and like put a sound before and after the kanji so you know where it is, therefore it will be in context so you know which kanji/meaning to choose, plus you get experience with picking it out of sentences and learning vocabulary.
i mean thats just like a proposition, i don't know how long doing that would take or anything. im gonna start using this though. thanks!
This would be cool indeed, but this tool only uses the sound files that Wanikani offers along with the vocabulary.

Hey!
How is everybody doing with the Wanikani Audio Trainer?

Bad/sad - still doesn’t work for me - do you think you could troubleshoot?

I completely love this thing.

Its like wanikani free DLC

deborahchan said... Bad/sad - still doesn't work for me - do you think you could troubleshoot?
Yes we can try. When you open the app, what happens? What text is visible, does anything change?

Works perfectly.
A lot harder than I thought :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried it again today and miraculously - it is currently working! Yahoo!

And it’s awesome!!!

deborahchan said... I tried it again today and miraculously - it is currently working! Yahoo!

And it's awesome!!!
And working for me too! YEAH!

But my internet's  taking ages to load each word.  --_--

Great stuff.

This is absolutely fantastic. As someone who recently moved to Tokyo and needs to bridge between reading and listening comprehension this app is essential to train my ear. Also, for the purists out there, I think it’s pretty safe to say that you can use this app as much as you like without “polluting” the SRS.

Thoughts:
- I wonder whether showing the answer after it has been entered correctly would be an improvement or not (theer’s an argument to be made for reinforcing the audio with visuals but it might compromise the SRS - though if you have demonstrated you know the item there’s no issue I think). Now you get a flashing “correct” notification and you’re on to the next item right away…
- Small point, but why is there a skip button? I know it’s a completely different app, but it seems very incosistent with Wanikani, you should either get the answer correctly or look at the correct answer, it would also make it cleaner and simpler

Ampaze, thank you for this app, really!

Juichiro said...
ampaze said... My primary goal in learning japanese is to understand someone speaking it, therefore I thought:

That is not MY primary goal in learning japanese.
WaniKani should remain flexible and open to all possible goals rather than getting down to fit a single person's particular goal. :)
 Chill. If anything, it would be cool if WaniKani had many different modes to choose from.... 

Thank you to the OP!  This is awesome.  Addicted to it now.  The only thing I need now is being able to translate from English to Japanese and I’ll have all the skills I need :).

Thanks for all the praise :slight_smile:

Now if only I would use my own tool more often sigh