Is WaniKani not hard enough for you? (listening comprehension)

sumairu said...
rlgreen91 said...Hey, I'm having a bit of a problem.  The extension installed fine, but when I try to start it, it gets stuck on initializing and never actually begins.  Is there an API key I'm supposed to enter?
 Yeah, you should enter your public API key found at the bottom of your settings page http://www.wanikani.com/account
That way only words you learnt on WK would come up.
 Exactly!
dlemay said... The page bugs out on me once in a while. Not too sure why, but I get stuck at "Loading new word...". It seems to happen every 20 words or so (Totally random number I threw there, but happens frequently).
Strange, this would indicate that something went wrong while looking up the audio on the vocabulary page. It's just a prototype after all ;) 

I hope to make it more error resistant in the future.

Thanks for making this, it’s pretty awesome! And really difficult! I obviously need to work on my listening comprehension. =)

This is a great supplement for listening practice - and it’s only words you’ve already learned which is even better. 
Thanks!

Hello! It’s not working for me. Not sure what I did wrong… Entered my API key, but after that nothing happens. I press play and nothing plays. (even after refresh). The app sounds brilliant, so would love some help using it!

I’ll download chrome (somthing I really didn’t want to do xD) for this!
Thank you, ampaze! :slight_smile:

This sounds amazing - I wouldn’t know though - after I downloaded it, and entered my api, it just began “Loading new word…” and won’t go past that.

たいへんだ…

助けてくれて…

Edit: Still no change…waaaaaaaaaaaaaah ><!

I just tested it again, works fine for me.

The only time it doesn’t play and gets stuck is when the kanji has no audio, in that case you should reload the page / app.
Maybe you got unlucky with the first several tries always being a vobabulary with no audio? Try reloading several times.

I still plan to improve this little tool, which would include better error resistance.
Also thinking about removing the Chrome dependency, if there is enough interest (so I can use it on the ipad as well :wink:

I guess it just won’t be working for me, then :frowning:

Bummer.

Just to be clear, it hasn’t loaded any words at all.  Maybe the first word it looked for was a non-audio word, and it’s stuck from there?
Does it matter that I’m on a Mac using Chrome?
And is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

:):):slight_smile:

Edit:  Maybe I should ask, since I’m so unfamiliar with Chrome - how do I reload an app?
Not sure since there isn’t a webpage address to click and hit enter on?

Edit #2:  I have “clicked” back into the program 10+ times (bookmarked it and used that to click on).  Each time it would say “initializing”, then it would go back to it’s static “Loading new word” message.
I also tried uninstalling and then re-downloading fresh.
No fuzzy dice.

deborahchan said... This sounds amazing - I wouldn't know though - after I downloaded it, and entered my api, it just began "Loading new word...." and won't go past that.

たいへんだ.....

助けてくれて......

Edit: Still no change....waaaaaaaaaaaaaah *><*!
 Ditto! *hugs* :-(

Yo whats happenin’ ?

Just made a new version:

• shouldn’t get stuck anymore
  • press enter on empty input to listen again
  • press escape to show the answer
  • when showing the answer you can decide if you want the next challange or maybe listen again
Link is still the same as in the first post.

What do you think?

deborahchan said...Edit:  Maybe I should ask, since I'm so unfamiliar with Chrome - how do I reload an app?
Not sure since there isn't a webpage address to click and hit enter on?
On Mac Command-R should do the trick, or press the reload icon. You see that it has reloaded when initializing reappears for a sec.

Edit #2:  I have "clicked" back into the program 10+ times (bookmarked it and used that to click on).  Each time it would say "initializing", then it would go back to it's static "Loading new word" message.
I also tried uninstalling and then re-downloading fresh.
No fuzzy dice.
 Thats very strange, please tell me if the new version changes something for you.

Happy dance Thank you soooo much Ampaze!

hey ampaze, I just messed up.

I’ve gone and deleted the extension so I could then install it again with the new version and now the link you have in the initial post doesn’t seem to be working.

help, please!

MiguelPereira said... hey ampaze, I just messed up.

I've gone and deleted the extension so I could then install it again with the new version and now the link you have in the initial post doesn't seem to be working.

help, please!
First save the file (right click and "save link as"). Then you have to open the Extension Manager (chrome://chrome/extensions/) and then from your download folder drag and drop the file into the Extension Manager Tab. A bit complicated I know.
EskimoJo said...
deborahchan said... This sounds amazing - I wouldn't know though - after I downloaded it, and entered my api, it just began "Loading new word...." and won't go past that.

たいへんだ.....

助けてくれて......

Edit: Still no change....waaaaaaaaaaaaaah *><*!
 Ditto! *hugs* :-(
 Thanks - back at you :) *hugs* thanks for the solidarity!

ampaze:

Thanks!!  I am excited and will try again today!

Amazing ! I love It

ampaze said...

I've gone and deleted the extension so I could then install it again with the new version and now the link you have in the initial post doesn't seem to be working.

help, please!
First save the file (right click and "save link as"). Then you have to open the Extension Manager (chrome://chrome/extensions/) and then from your download folder drag and drop the file into the Extension Manager Tab. A bit complicated I know.
 It is not complicated at all. What I mean is that apparently your link is not working or at least I am not able to use it (on Chrome, IE and Firefox)

MiguelPereira said...
ampaze said...

help, please!
 It is not complicated at all. What I mean is that apparently your link is not working or at least I am not able to use it (on Chrome, IE and Firefox)

Un-disable pop-ups?