Is Tofugu Dead?

I just found out about the drama and now I would like to know more.

9 Likes

Yes, that is an excellent illustration of my point.

8 Likes

@pragmata ++
Whatever happened, the company can’t talk about it for privacy reasons, and the other party shouldn’t talk about it because it’s bad form. There will be no more information on this. Letting it go is probably the best plan.

15 Likes

7 Likes

This subject will die a year after the last mention

8 Likes

Definitely didn’t mean for any drama :smiley:

I was just curious when I saw the date of the last content update.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I had completely missed this. That’s definitely a downer, but it would also explain the apparent drop in activity of late.

That is probably for the best. I’ll probably be keeping my ear to the ground a bit in case either party decides to comment on it, but baseless speculation isn’t likely to be of any help.

It’s worth noting that even fairly mundane career changes can lead to awkwardness and hurt feelings, especially in a close-knit company, so I’ll avoid jumping to conclusions one way or the other.

6 Likes

Sorry, in that case, for pushing for information. I just thought it was bizarre and because I’ve been a particularly sporadic forum visitor over the past year I thought I genuinely might have missed something.

This kind of speculation is why it’s usually in a company’s best interests to say something though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I agree that it’s not good form for us to harp on about it, so this is all I’ll say, but if there’s no official line people will speculate - all you have to say is that X is sadly no longer working for us. Making them mysteriously disappear overnight and acting like they never existed is bananas, and I hope the company considers that in any future staff departures.

13 Likes
Summary

Oh, I sure am speculating, and nothing good about Tofugu or WaniKani.

4 Likes

They did give an official statement about her leaving. They aren’t obligated to say why she left or anything like that, unless she chose to do so herself.

6 Likes

Now that’s a good cheese!

Please say this is true!

:popcorn:

Seriously though I think there is a good reason why it was kept under wraps and, kidding aside, I respect the silence regarding this issue.

And regarding @zvandervort, yeah I kinda miss getting the email about new articles especially the new study materials they find. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Who is anon20839864??

1 Like

Former staff member named Kristen, who abruptly disappeared, and whose profile was also removed from the forums for good measure (i.e. which rendered her username here as anon20839864). The extra step of removing her from the forums was… unusual, and caused all manner of speculation.

3 Likes

7 Likes

So, uh, it turns out there was a glitch in the website code and the old WK Discourse bot somehow developed a personality, consciousness, and was able to both interact with the community and write posts for Tofugu. The server was rebooted and the rogue code purged from the RAM, so that explains the mass hallucination you all have been experiencing over the last number of years. You will not speak of this. You will not tell your family. You will go home, go to bed, and resume your normal daily life tomorrow morning.

5 Likes

Sorry, @Belthazar

3 Likes

I’ve been with WaniKani on and off since it was beta testing. I was an on and off user though (hence I never reached level 60 lol) and I never knew about all of this… but now I feel quite sad and a little nostalgic that a lot has changed.

1 Like

I hope you decide to use WaniKani… it seems you still haven’t reached even Level 4. Now, it will be a lot better, but if you do want to be here, there’s no better time!

Please don’t let another year pass before you post again!

2 Likes

Oh I reached level 10 before. Haha but then when I started burning stuff and they stopped appearing, I felt like I was forgetting them. This is my third restart lol HAHAHA I need to use them so I won’t forget :frowning:

WaniKani is so far the best kanji learning app I found. And that’s saying something since I was with WaniKani since 2015-04-02 (1862 days ago). HAHA

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.