Is this sentence right?

It’s the firt time I create a topic, so sorry if this is not the correct board for this. x’d
I was listening to a Kendrick Lamar song and i wondered how a sentence of his song would translate to japanese, so i started trying to do it but im not sure if i made it right, if y’all could help me i would be grateful.
This is the sentence: Master, take the chains off me
And this is what i translated: 主人が鎖を脱げ
Danke schön!

Interesting approach to learning! Maybe I’ll try to translate some of my favourite lyrics as well!

I would suggest something like 主よ、鎖をはずしてくれ = ぬしよ、くさりをはずしてくれ

On your suggestion, 主人, mainly means husband in Japanese not master, though of course you see maid cafes say ご主人様 for “Master.” I looked up this song, and I think the master that it’s referring to is slave owners? If so, 主 might be a better fit because it has that owner/master meaning.

You also definitely would not use 脱ぐ here because it means to get naked or disrobe. はずす is the word for release / open / take off. I also took the liberty of using the V-てくれ form. It’s still the imperative form, but it’s more begging/asking/requesting which seemed to fit here.

Lastly, you wouldn’t use the が particle here with 主 because you are ordering the person to do something. E.g.

子供が牛乳を飲んだ = the children drank milk
子供たち、牛乳を飲みなさい = kids, drink your milk

I just put the よ particle after 主 for artistic style; it’s like you’re calling out to this person.

6 Likes

I’m member of Genius, a website were you transcribe or translate songs, but I’m not ready to translate anything to japanese, that’s why I started with a sentence. I read some japanese lyrics there anyways to approach the langauge.

Yes, I know it means husband, but I searched in jisho and it says that it was used as master (an arkaism), i tried to search for that meaning and some dude on an old answer in yahoo said that 主人 is used for that term, but i trust more on your opinion.

Ooh, I thought it could mean like take off anything. Does はずす have a kanji?

Also, you absolutely never should use in any circumstance the ga particle when using the imperative form?

Thanks for anwsering my question and for the additional data!!!

Yeah I figure there’s a trillion way to translate, which is true for normal language, and probably even more so for artistic things.

Apparently it’s 外す.

Yes, but I do not have the ability to explain why using grammar rules… Kind of in the same way you don’t need to specify the subject, “you”, when giving a command in English, you just say the command in Japanese. If necessary, you can call someone out to get their attention (i.e. “Master,”) but you then just say the command.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.