Is this correct sentence structure and grammar?

Hi! I’d like to know if this is correct?
Sentence: 毎いつに日本語レッスンがありますか。

What I mean here is “Every when do you have a japanese lesson?”

Thanks

What do you mean by ‘every when’? Are you asking how often or on what days someone has Japanese lessons? Because your English sentence itself sounds wonky to begin with and it looks like you just word-for-word translated that into Japanese.

I believe you want to use something more like:

どのくらいの頻度で

To say ‘how often’. I suggest reading this as it has a number of examples on asking about frequency:

http://maggiesensei.com/2010/04/15/頻度hindo-frequency/

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I am referring to the schedule of someone’s japanese lesson. Like is it every monday or thursday or everyday. Hmm, i think it can still be answered with “how often”

So your question is really 'Which days do you have lessons?" If so, then you probably want something more like 何曜日に.

3 Likes

Out of interest are your a native English speaker? I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “every when” before…
Something like “which day(s) of the week” is what I’m used to hearing.
You can ask what I think you want to ask with something like 毎週何曜日に or perhaps 毎週いつ (but don’t attach に to いつ).

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. So it would be: 毎週何曜日に日本語レッスンがありますか ??

1 Like

I think that should be a solid no. Unless they’re using native english from a pocket of the world I’ve yet to uncover.

You never know! There are lots of pockets in Britain where non-Standard English that you wouldn’t hear anywhere else exists. I could imagine something like what the OP said being used somewhere

2 Likes

I’m imagining it in a british accent now.

2 Likes

'llow it :wink:

4 Likes

Or even 一週(間)に何回日本語のレッスンがありますか。

1 Like

There’s a ‘t’ in there :expressionless:

We don’t pronounce 't’s around here.

4 Likes

It’s the closest thing to a glottal stop I have on my keyboard. :wink:

3 Likes

Use the apostrophe like everyone else. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Don’t you mean “inverted comma”? :smirk:

2 Likes

To be fair, that’s a bit awkward in this case…

‘llow i’ <= Is this quoted?
“‘llow i’” <= Makes my eyes bleed
" ‘llow i’ " <= Still hurts, but slightly less than the one above,

1 Like