Is this considered cheating?

Will checking vocabulary or kanji on other tabs while in reviews will affect my learning? i get really frustrated and discouraged if i just keep trying and never getting the correct answer.
Thanks for taking your time to answer this thread.

1 Like

No, forcing yourself to keep getting it wrong without looking is just counterproductive. The info is provided on the review interface if you click the eye icon.

6 Likes

If you get it wrong enough it should show a little pulldown menu with the correct answer as Leebo said. So long as you arent checking the vocab BEFORE you get it wrong, you should be fine.

3 Likes

Are you looking up the kanji/vocab of the items you’re being reviewed on before answering? Because if so, then yes. It is punishable with death by stoning.

But honestly, that’s a really bad habit to get into. The point is that you’re meant to be able to recall items. There are two parts to your memory. Recognition and recall. If you ‘cheat’ and look up the answers, you’re hindering your ability to recall the item.

If you really struggle, try the mnemonics. If they don’t work, try to create your own.

(Important to note whether you’re checking before or after getting it wrong. As Leebo and Vanilla have said, if you’re checking afterwards, that’s fine)

6 Likes

Thanks for the answer, this is what i was looking for, I apologize if my question was not clear enough.

1 Like

It’s okay!

Just to add to that, it’s important to get out of the habit of doing that. If you cheat back in school, half the time the worst you’ll get is a slap on the wrists. But when it comes to self study, you need to take responsibility and accept the fact that the only negative consequence for cheating is that you will be harming your own progress. You may think it’s easier just to check, but you will get far more out of being tested on the item again. Remember, the point is to learn this stuff well. You should be jumping at the opportunity to be tested again on an item you’re weak at.

1 Like

Wait, you were asking about checking before you do the review? Is there anything that is more clearly cheating, hehe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I’ll be changing my habits from now on.

1 Like

You only got a slap on the wrist for cheating at school? At my school, cheating was an automatic 0. If you were caught on the mid-terms or finals, you failed the class. Cheat on the SOLs (the government-required standardized tests in my state), there was potential for expulsion. O:

But you’re completely on the mark about self-study. Whether or not you cheat has ABSOLUTELY no disciplinary penalties. On the other hand, however, it has dire consequences to your ability to learn. The more you look at items before you answer, the more likely those items will be leeches at the Enlightened to Burn stage.

@lVeluetag Standard “lesson to test” style learning allows for cramming and right-before-test review to work (depending on your short-term memorization ability), but SRS learning is not forgiving. Let’s say you only look at what the Kanji is before answering to get your Kanji to Guru for that quick next level. You may be able to recall the Kanji in the next reviews to Master, but the month wait for Enlightened will be difficult, and most likely after 4 months of no use, that Kanji will come back to haunt you.

On the other hand, I don’t find it cheating to do self-designed reviews in-between WaniKani reviews (I’m certain many other WK users use Anki for this purpose). WaniKani only drills recall in one direction, after all, so I find KaniWani to almost be a requirement to use alongside WaniKani.

2 Likes

Oh, I should have probably said that better! Exams in school were absolutely completely anti-cheating. Any suspicion would be an automatic 0 (on sometimes the whole course, not just the exam) and possible suspension from any future exams for that season. What I meant was cheating on things like classwork, but I neglected to mention that :upside_down_face:

1 Like

When I was in college, we had weekly writing assignments where you would submit the short passage to a class forum on the website and then respond to other students’ passages as well.

I discovered someone was plagiarizing their submissions and reported it to the professor. Never found out exactly what happened, since that was an online class, but the rules of the school meant he could get an F for the course. No idea why anyone would risk plagiarizing stuff that was that short.

3 Likes

Yeah, cheating/plagiarizing in college is a HUGE no-no. A peer of mine in the same degree problem had downloaded a large portion of an academic journal series from the college’s digital library and essentially plagiarized most of his essays for two years. A professor finally found out, they held an investigation, and he got kicked out of university. >.>

@UntitledName Ah, that makes much more sense. Singular assignments are usually worth very little when looking at the total grade, so even a 0 really is just a slap on the wrist, overall.

1 Like

When I did my master’s, all assignments had to be submitted through a system that compared them to a database of books and articles, flagging every passage that was identical or very similar to something that already existed. So all direct quotes were flagged, which was ok with the proper citation, but other than that you really couldn’t get away with it. I wonder why more schools don’t use this.

I’m no neurologist, but I believe forcing yourself to try to recall the reading is what rewires the brain cells to remember. Like walking or checking account balances, you are telling your neurons that this is meaningful information.

Yes, but

I work in a place where I am allowed, nay, encouraged to use WaniKani at work, but I cannot install any scripts. I hate hate HATE when I get punished with a drop in level for typing in an unrecognized synonym, so sometimes I’ll check if I remember that I’ve gotten the question wrong before but I can’t remember which answer it accepted.

Of course we had that kind of thing for anything that had to be turned in, but I suppose these forum discussions weren’t thought of the same way.

Also, I’m not sure if what the guy I mentioned did would have been caught with that kind of thing or not. For instance, in one case he took a blog post written on the NASA website and just removed or changed all the direct references to astronauts (like changing I or we, to they, and generally making it sound like it wasn’t written from the perspective of an astronaut). Other than that, it was exactly the same, with no room for excuses that he just failed to cite it properly. I’m not sure if a NASA blog post would be in that kind of database or not.

2 Likes

It probably wouldn’t. Whenever it flagged something it displayed the source, and it was always published academic writing.

Have you considered doing reviews on your phone? The apps have the ignore button built in. Or you could add synonyms beforehand.

It looks like you just need a better foundation in your learning.

There is absolutely no need for you or anyone to have a steady pace when learning another language.
If you get an item wrong, then review it afterwards or just after you got it wrong.
Forget the statistics site to see how many days it takes you to level.
Forget accuracy, speed, and other things to boast about.
People may have prior knowledge in Kanji before starting Wanikani.
They also might have absolutely nothing.
Just go at your own pace and learn the way you feel is comfortable.

At level 8, if you continue cheating your reviews, once you get to a higher level like 20ish where items are going to come back at you for burning, you’ll essentially be cheating on every burn review because you cheated the SRS system.
You should be studying grammar, listening, and writing on your own time outside of Wanikani.
There, review the items you got wrong in your last review.
I always write down my incorrect answers 6-7 times.

Looking at your Wall of Shame, you should probably slow down a little bit.
Take an hour to just write down everything in your apprentice list.
Just the muscle memory might help you a little bit.
Carefully read the mnemonics or make up your own.

Again, take your time and try to improve the way you learn new items.

3 Likes

I use my phone at home, or my scripted-up laptop, but it looks more like allowable work if I am using the computer rather than my phone.

I’m making flashcards of all my critical items and using the mnemonics a lot more, thanks for the advice!

2 Likes