Is there such as thing as 'reading too early'?

Clearly @plantron did it first…

2 Likes

Shh!

1 Like

Reading too hard material early might leave you with a helpless feeling of failure, but reading appropriate material (including challenging within reason) is never wrong. If not ready to take on native material, then the graded readers are amazing even from the start! The level zero books are fun enough that I still buy new ones to read :wink: (Reading below your level does give you a sense of “Yay I can understand this perfectly! Let’s ignore the fact that this is a level 0 book…”)

7 Likes

Why would you subvocalise when you don’t need to?? Maybe yeah, in the beginning you’d be subvocalising things wrongly, but after a while reading just becomes the concept of sounds rather than actual sounds … (unless you’re reading for comprehending every. single. word, which I don’t do in the 2 languages I’m fluent in unless it’s for class or something like that)

I do read for comprehension. I tried reading without subvocalizing a few times and it just felt weird.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.