Is there something I could do during the wait time for new lessons and reviews?

I am currently at level 1 planning to subscribe after the free levels, but as I go on I am wondering the huge gaps between lessons and reviews I feel like I could be doing something meaningful with that time is there a feature I have not seen that allows you to redo past lessons/reviews?

3 Likes

Hello hello, welcome!

Since WK uses an SRS system, it’s not advised to do much reviewing of stuff in the intervals, as that’ll defeat the purpose. As you progress over time, you’ll know if you’re the kind of person that needs an extra review moment at certain SRS intervals, but I’d personally advise to first see how well or how poorly you do for a few levels.

As for other things: grammar, of course! Or vocab work - WK has a lot of useful vocab, but it’s a kanji tool. Just WK vocab will not be sufficient. There are a lot of resources scattered around here on WK, so make sure to look around in various subforums. :slight_smile:

One collection of things to look into would be here:

6 Likes

You can do a Japanese course in Lingodeer app. It’s a good intro to the language.

Btw, don’t think of WK as a course in Japanese. You will only learn how to read kanji here. You won’t be able to read Japanese text if you don’t study grammar and vocab separately.

6 Likes

Look into
https://kaniwani.com/
or
https://www.kamesame.com/

they help with recall and reproduction of words.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Absolutely get a head start on grammar as soon as you can. I think Wanikani recommends starting grammar at level 10 but honestly, the earlier you can start the better.

6 Likes

I agree. The sooner you learn about particles the better, just to let those concepts sink in. It takes some getting used to.

@Monsi_boy2 As for recommended things to do I’d suggest going with your own interests and preferences. Find something outside of WK that peaks your interest and have a go at it when you feel like you have time in-between reviews.

As you progress, I suggest taking on listening activities more directly in-between reviews (just not too early, you’ll need more vocabulary for that), as it takes time to build up your ability to parse Japanese from sound only. Listening is mostly about experience and there is only one way to get it - to listen.

There are several tips about resources around the forum for listening to Japanese, but also this thread:

Good luck with your studies! ^>^

1 Like

Look around at all the things you love and enjoy and then turn to each one of them individually and kiss them good bye as you prepare yourself for the crap storm of Kanji that is headed your way.

Not even joking.

Srsly

17 Likes

SRS system hmmm I heard WK uses that system just did not what exactly it entails but now of your answer I think I kinda get the idea of it.

Thank you for the answer I hope all online communities are like this hahahaha I’ll make sure to check the forum you gave Thanks Again!

2 Likes

Actually that’s where I first started but I got a lot frustrated when I could not read any Kanji that were given in the example sentences,on hindsight I should have researched first that Kanzen Master was in complete Japanese. I am just glad that I got to grasp some basic grammar rules now that you have mentioned it.

1 Like

Yes.

Also
www.kaniwani.com
www.bunpro.jp

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll make sure to reinforce my grammar! Btw are Anime good listening sources? I watch them a lot and I get pretty skippy if I could understand a line or two lol.

The FAQ goes over some details of SRS ^^

For getting used to listening to Japanese, for recognising grammar that you’re learning, and for practising vocab by spotting what you know: fine!

For wanting to use what you hear in anime for conversations with natives: not so fine.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s crucial that you use resources that are appropriate to your level. It’s not the grammar that’s the problem there, but that your resource expected you to have knowledge that you didn’t have. Try Genki, or Tae Kim’s guide. They both rely less on kanji (especially to begin with) or provide translations first.

2 Likes

Use subtitles. I still do. There is no reason to guess the meaning of words and phrases. You might wanna turn them off later on, but like I said, I still use them for a better viewing experience overall (there is always some word in there that is new to you, and it’s easier to spot it I find with the subs on).

But, yeah. All types of watching is good for listening as well. But, as you progress, do give a try to some audio only-dramas of some kind (where people don’t talk as fast as in real life), to learn to not rely too much on “seeing” the meaning of words as you do with anime. (in conversations later you won’t have that help). Good luck! ^^

Also, as @Omun mentioned: be aware of what it is you’re learning from anime. Don’t use if for your own speaking habits, but to get used to Japanese overall.

2 Likes

I went through the same thing when I first started. Don’t worry, once you get to level 8 or so, you’ll be able to read the majority of kanji in example sentences. When you first start out, that seems like an eternity away, but it will be done before you know it!

1 Like

If you’re going to watch anime I would either watch without subtitles or with Japanese subtitles since all the English subtitles (or any other non-Japanese language) will do is act as a crutch and your goal there is to get used to how Japanese sounds. The brain will most likely subconsciously ignore the Japanese if you use subtitles.

Like others have said get on with grammar right now and either use BunPro or Anki to help review it.

1 Like

Idk. You can join a club, volunteer, go on a long walk on a beach. There is like a billion things you could do while you wait. Live yo life fam. There is more to life than just Wanikani. Just remember to wear a mask. :wink:

1 Like

I enjoy a peaceful Wanikani day after my morning reviews.

I took my time with this level :see_no_evil:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.