I’m imagining something like this site that has thousands of entries for how to count words.
I get a lot of blog entries and stuff when I try various search terms. I’m just curious if anyone has found anything that they use regularly.
I’m aware of the general rules of thumb:
- お goes with kunyomi words
- ご goes with onyomi words
- don’t apply either to loanwords or words with negative meanings
The problem is, of course, the exceptions.
- onyomi words that only take お (お電話, お料理)
- Words where both are acceptable (お誕生日 / ご誕生日)
- Words where the meaning changes if you add お (袋 - bag, お袋 slang for mother)
- Words where お has basically become part of the word and can’t be removed (おやつ snack)
- Words where you add お and it basically becomes a different word (腹 はら > お腹 おなか)
- Words where you don’t add anything, you just use a different word (うまい > おいしい)
So, I know I could google each word on a case by case basis, but it’d be nice if there was a nice, comprehensive site.
Alternatively, a book that does the same thing would be good too.