Is there a site that just lists the way to apply お and ご to words in an encyclopedic way

I’m imagining something like this site that has thousands of entries for how to count words.

I get a lot of blog entries and stuff when I try various search terms. I’m just curious if anyone has found anything that they use regularly.

I’m aware of the general rules of thumb:

1. お goes with kunyomi words
  2. ご goes with onyomi words
  3. don’t apply either to loanwords or words with negative meanings

The problem is, of course, the exceptions.

1. onyomi words that only take お (お電話, お料理)
  2. Words where both are acceptable (お誕生日 / ご誕生日)
  3. Words where the meaning changes if you add お (袋 - bag, お袋 slang for mother)
  4. Words where お has basically become part of the word and can’t be removed (おやつ snack)
  5. Words where you add お and it basically becomes a different word (腹 はら > お腹 おなか)
  6. Words where you don’t add anything, you just use a different word (うまい > おいしい)

So, I know I could google each word on a case by case basis, but it’d be nice if there was a nice, comprehensive site.

Alternatively, a book that does the same thing would be good too.

Anyone know?

お水 does exist.
お冷 is used in restaurants.

Trying not to make the explanation of the exceptions not stretch to two lines, but I’ll just use a different example then.

wish i could help you here, i just learned them all as-is :frowning:

It seems like most people end up doing it that way. And almost every book I’ve found on keigo has like… one page on something like this, but glosses over it. Probably because for natives it’s something they have more exposure to and thus wouldn’t need to think about it as much. Plus, they instinctively know when they’ve changed the meaning by adding an お or something.

I actually dont really know of anything complete, but the best I know of is
https://hiramatu-hifuka.com/onyak/kotob-go.html#(オ)と読む言葉

The weird thing about that is it doesnt have common ones like 御湯, but it has 御湯殿 which I suppose would help out.

The other alternative I know of is just searching 御 on a dictionary like so

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.