Is there a script for adding kanji to context sentences?

I find that while reading context sentences, it’s harder to distinguish and look up newer words when the kanji that hasn’t been taught yet is put in hiragana. I was wondering if there was a script that fixed this and just put all words with kanji, IN KANJI.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

Huh, I wonder if that was one of the new changes rolled out in the last month. I recall the context sentences being pretty kanji riddled before. In fact, marking kanji you know already from those you don’t is part of the advanced context script’s usage. I took a sampling of vocab from three different levels to compare the kanji usage in the sentences. 人口(じんこう) from level 1 and (やま)びこ (new) from level 3 both seem to have been striped of higher level kanji. 名所(めいしょ) from level 8 still has sentences with the kanji intact. I wonder if the mods could be persuaded to add furigana instead of ripping the kanji.

To answer your question though, I don’t believe such a script exists yet. It may also be difficult to implement as well since there are many words (and even particles) that have kanji, but those kanji are not used. Kanji usage can also depend on the context. Like ()たい when it means “I want to see” is often written in kanji, but みたい “I want to try” is not.

1 Like

Thanks for welcoming me!

I’m not 100% sure if it was a change that happened since I am new, but I remember seeing some threads about it (don’t quote me on that). As you saw, I’m currently working on level 3 and from my latest “lesson session” words like 昨日, 会ってきました, and 大事 were all written with Hiragana + Kanji that was covered.

I use a pop-up dictionary and it could not find 大事 (大じ <— written like this because 大 has already been covered) and understanding the meaning of 会ってきました (written like あってきました) could’ve been easier if it was written using the kanji 会.

I don’t particularly know if these words are normally written with kanji, but I believe they are. Feel free to correct me. Thank you for the in-depth response. I hope they change it back!!

The ones you mentioned sound right, like they should have the kanji. I can imagine being frustrated by that!

I asked about it in a recent additions thread. Hopefully the mods will reply sometime later today. They’re all/mostly on the American West Coast iirc. I feel like this approach to kanji would be fine if we were all children, but as most of us are teens or adults, I think it would be better to include kanji as would be expected for us to know by a certain age. Like including all the kanji a 13 year old should know instead of what a small child would be expected to know, especially as the sentences are often more complex that what you’d typically see written in all kana. Sure we’re all learning/practicing, but it’d be nice to have examples like we’d see in the wild rather than watered down stuff.

In the meantime, searching in a dictionary like jisho.org might be helpful. I know depending on your device, it might be a pain to switch back and forth to, but you can search words in kana or romaji at least. It can correctly bring up 大事(だいじ) with kana and it can guess verbs, although ()ってきました in particular it guesses incorrectly.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said! I definitely was getting frustrated with it (lol)

Hopefully they do/did respond. I’ll try using jisho more for the time being and putting up with it because WaniKani is such an awesome learning resource. The problem would also fizzle out as I get into higher levels as well, but it’s whatever. I guess we’ll see…

1 Like

what keeps me from starting genki I again just to review some stuff is exactly that,

I cant recognize when the vocab is hiragana only. Even to play games in japanese, if they are hiragana only I just cant.

so wk is really doing great impact in my learning, so that now I can rely on reading kanji.