Is there a point in learning vocab elsewhere other than Wanikani?

Before Wanikani, I have been using Genki for vocabulary. I was wondering if learning Genki vocabulary on Memrise will affect the whole SRS System i’ve heard about multiple times. And also is there a point in learning vocabulary elsewhere and it will eventually overlap since Wanikani teaches 6000 vocabulary words so the chance is very likely.

You definitely need to study vocabulary outside of WaniKani. The main purpose of the vocabulary on WaniKani is to reinforce the Kanji. Many common/important words are taught very late or not at all.

Don’t wory about overlapping Vocabulary. Most sources will allow you to ignore certain words that you already know or are already studying.

5 Likes

It is completely fine.
Seeing the word in another context is more likely to improve your recollection of the item rather than hinder it.

Also, don’t hesitate to read pure Japanese text in fear of “messing up the SRS”.

6 Likes

WK might teach you 6000 words, but I’m fairly certain Japanese has more than that c; There is always a point to studying vocab!

4 Likes

To elaborate on this point–SRS is a time-management tool. You could spend all of your time studying all flashcards for all vocab words you’ve ever learned [optimizes the number of items learned]. Or you could only study flashcards for for words you’re currently learning [optimizes the time spent reviewing learned items]. SRS is designed to be a balance between the two.

Some people review kanji and vocab between reviews. This might be throwing off the SRS system in favor of strategy #1–optimizing the number of items learned–but in a less time efficient manner. Time that could be spent on grammar, listening, or speaking skill, or non-Japanese stuff. And its the learner’s choice if they want to do that. [For leeches, this strategy could be necessary anyhow.]

Don’t let learning tools and systems get in the way of your learning!

For me the only way to break SRS is to prestudy test material just before testing over it. Or abusing the ignore script.

2 Likes

Let me tell you for example that most onomatopoeia are not written in kanji. So, you won’t find them in wanikani.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.