Is the definition for 載 incorrect? Or am I missing something?

Luckily it’s one of the kanji that i’ve learned recently so I won’t have an issue re-linking it in my brain, but I was just watching a video and I heard someone say what I thought was that bean sprouts were riding on the bowl but then I looked up “noru” and not only is it to ride, but it’s also 載る which is “to be placed on” — okay no problem BUT THEN I noticed the kanji and though to myself, hey I just learned that one but I learned it as “PUBLISH”.

So I’m wondering if I’ve encountered an incorrectly defined kanji here?

note: this also applies to 載る which i still technically haven’t “learned yet” but I’m assuming the meaning wouldn’t change that drastically when in verb form.

edit: I’m aware that kanji can have different meanings, and I should’ve written incomplete instead of incorrect.

1 Like

Some kanji can have several disparate meanings. 便 can mean convenient or flight or excrement, depending on context.

1 Like

I don’t think it is incorrect. 載る means both “to be placed on” and “to be published”. From jisho:

I don’t know why the WK team went with the “publish” meaning, but maybe that’s the most common meaning for it among the words that use the kanji.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I check 載る I see both the “placed on” and “publish” meanings.

Generally speaking, there aren’t going to be any kanji here with meanings that are completely wrong. Too many other users have already gone through the whole system for huge mistakes like that to happen. But you might nitpick here or there with what they choose for the main meaning.

4 Likes

This is one where it feels like the second definition is the more recent one. I can see how “to put on” could translate to “to put on the internet” or “publish”

Well, you can use it for books as well.

この言葉は、辞書に載っていますか。
Is this word in the dictionary?

3 Likes

…but … but, I’m past level 18 and haven’t learned that one yet?? what gives? for me that kanji is at level 24??

I’m almost lvl 25 … for some reason it has me listed here as 18 … weird.

sorry i deleted my first response cause I didn’t mean to reply JUST to @Leebo

Full response here:

Yes, I’m aware of that but I’m not really asking if kanji exist that have multiple meanings because everyone learns that by the end of lvl. 1 (or in my case before even starting wk.) I appreciate the response though.

Yea, but I don’t really think that in this case it’s nitpicking, do you? In wanikani it’s not even listed as a secondary meaning and I think it’s commonly used enough in that context to be listed, isn’t it?

I’ve checked in 4 different dictionaries and “to be placed on” is listed as the primary definition in all of them. I wonder if maybe it should be added as at least a secondary definition in wanikani. I was surprised

You’re right, after checking all the associated jukugo that are within the wk curriculum, they all have some sort of publish or record-keeping context, but still. Unless you only read the newspaper, don’t you think you’d come across “to be placed on” more commonly?

Would you guys rather have your cherry published on your icecream? Or placed on your ice cream?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Your point was that “publish” was wrong? No?

I asked my girlfriend and her first thought when asked out that kanji was publishing.

You can email them to add more meanings, but but WK isn’t ever going to be exhaustive, in all likelihood.

That is weird!Also in the ice cream situation, I think you would pretty typically just use 置 but I get that that’s not your point. I think it would be better at least as a second definition in this instance. Just googling the word in Japanese brings up mostly results meaning 置く、so might be worth adding! At least Wani Kani allows you to add your own extra definitions for personal use

1 Like

True, I guess I should’ve written “incomplete” instead of “incorrect” in my original post.

You can use 乗せる for that and I think most Japanese people would.

載せる wouldn’t be wrong, clearly, since it does have that meaning in the dictionary. But it’s probably not what would most often be chosen.

EDIT: it seems as though 載せる would be more likely to be chosen if the “placing” had more of a feeling like “loading” in English. Like loading a truck. Putting a cherry on ice cream wouldn’t qualify.

3 Likes

Yea, i was just making a joke about the cherry, now you’re nitpicking lol - I’m just messing around

To put it in context, in the video i was watching, there were bean sprouts completely piled on this bowl of ramen.

Surely that entirely depends on how many cherries you want on your ice cream.

Or, whether you want any ice cream with your truckload of cherries…

4 Likes

haha my point exactly, there was literally about 4 inches of moyashi on each bowl of ramen.

1 Like

haha, I was confused!

All i knew was that the only meaning (according to wk) for 載 was “publish” so I go and look it up in dictionaries and the main definition was “place on”.

I was just saying that the verb form of the same kanji 出、出す aren’t usually as different as “to publish” and “to place on” where “to publish” is to make information public for others to see and “to place on” is literally to place something on top of or into something else.

please note that before seeing everyones responses, I was under the impression that the kanji by itself ONLY meant publish and that the verb form carried another meaning of “to place on” and I hadn’t encountered anything on wk where a seemingly important definition was left out.

Hey, I just had this same situation in キノの旅.

A single kanji can have very different meanings, but I can see the similarities here - “I published an ad in the newspaper” vs “I put an ad in the newspaper”

1 Like

ahh, yea see if you think of it that way it makes sense, but the main definition “to be placed on, to be set on, to be piled on” - I was thinking physically placing something on something else so my brain didn’t go there.

Like if I were actually the one printing the newspaper, my brain would’ve connected it but I guess those neurons just didn’t fire for me haha.

1 Like