Is the definition for 載 incorrect? Or am I missing something?

Oooh, like stacks of books at a publisher, or the newspapers getting placed on top of each other fresh off the printer! :books:

I have no idea if this is actually correct or not, but to help me remember the two definitions, I like to think of old-style typing where you have to physically put all the type blocks on top of the paper.

(Is type blocks really what they’re called? I feel like there should be some other word for that…)

I think you’re referring to typesetting and i think the letters are called “forms”

Also bonus fact, the capital and non-capital letters we’re kept in different cases which is why they’re called upper and lower case.

1 Like

I had to recently add “被る (not hat)” to my anki deck, because here 被る is given as “to put in a hat” with the reading かぶる、but i have run into it in the wild as meaning “to sustain/suffer/receive” and being read as こうむる。Which also seems to match better with the kanji meaning given here as “incur”.

In summary, Japanese is hard.

Edit: I already knew that some words provided by wk have many different meanings depending on the context they appear in, but this is the first vocabulary item (maybe with the exception of 際、although both of those readings are introduced at least) which had different readings as well as meaning, where the alternative reading is not provided as a valid answer.

2 Likes

No hat, no play. You must incur a hat before you can play.

Maybe these 3 links help explain it a bit?

https://forum.koohii.com/thread-9313-post-165855.html#pid165855

My understanding from reading them is that 載る’s meaning of “to be placed” has nuances, whereas “to be published” just works. So I guess that meaning is less misleading?

1 Like

On this topic, there are a lot of words (usually verbs, but adjectives and nouns as well) that can be written with different kanji but have the same reading. There is usually a nuance or difference in meaning when written differently. Off the top of my head のぼる comes to mind. If you search for 同訓異字 on the interwebs a lot of resources will pop up (albeit in Japanese) . It’s an area that even natives have trouble with from time to time.

4 Likes

Thank you! Those links definitely did help a lot.

と言ってもいいよ!

yea i’m fully aware of those pesky little buggars but I guess didn’t know that noru was one of them. My mom is japanese so she pretty much speaks to me in japanese like 75% of the time but I guess I’ve never heard her talk about publishing something haha. At least not using the noru verb.

I shouldn’t speak on Tofugu’s behalf, but I read their beginner’s guide to Japanese and they present Wanikani primarily as a tool to get you familiar with kanji, in the same section that they mention learning hiragana and katakana. The philosophy is that you need to learn in an order of complexity, starting with letters/reading, vocabulary, then grammar. Wanikani doesn’t position itself as a reference dictionary like some other kanji tools, and while you will gain a lot of literacy by using it, it’s primary use is to get you set up to learn elsewhere.

1 Like

Totally agreed but in this case I would argue that if I’m already learning a kanji and the verb form of it as part of wk’s curriculum, it would’ve been nice to see that alternate meaning/use in the same way that 額 (amount) has framed picture or forehead listed as alternate or 材(lumber) also has material or 米(rice) also has America.

But then again I guess this goes back to the point that @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz made earlier

… in the WK curriculum.

All I’m saying is that it seems like a relatively important meaning to be left out completely.

Go ahead and ask them to add the alternative meanings. They’ll do it. It does get used in 搭載 on the site.

1 Like

Even then they don’t have forehead/brow or ひたい listed as with the vocab 額 (which is the only one of the two I’ve read in the wild, not that I’ve done a ton of reading). I’m guessing there are quite a few like this.

They are aware that ひたい / forehead is missing. It’s intentional. They currently don’t have a way to include items that have exactly the same orthography but a completely different meaning and reading. It’s not an alternate definition of the same word, it is a different word entirely that just happens to use the same kanji.

Maybe they will address it some day.

1 Like

Mm, it’s the same reason I don’t use kaniwani. 額 appears. Which is it? How can you know (without context)? I think we had a recent debate over putting all the information on the one card and using descriptions to indicate which reading goes with which meaning, and most people are against it, so my stopgap has been to add such words to my anki deck. Not much to do, and the current system is focused on kanji rather than vocabulary so maybe it’s outside the scope of wanikani anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.