Is speed your goal or learning and understanding? The argument for a RESET

For anyone reading this and seemingly in the same position as OP was, do yourself a favor and go read the ultimate guide. WK is going to take around a year or more to finish, spending thirty minutes or so reading this to make things easier is worth it. Here’s an except that was accompanied with examples for scheduling reviews lessons:

Forget about trying to be here every single waking hour. You don’t need to. Waking up in the middle of the night is also complete nonsense. Your sleep is way more important than WK and the cool thing is that you can get both right.

Or this nice bit regarding finding the right number of lessons to tackle each day:

The best way to know the ideal speed for you to level up is by figuring out the number of lessons that you’re able to learn efficiently every day. By efficiently, I mean being able to actually learn them and maintain a good accuracy during reviews. For some people, that will be 5 items a day, for others 20.

Or the line that helps me tell when people treat the guide as dangerous speedrunning material despite failing to comprehend (ok, let’s be real, they probably didn’t read) it.

Chapter 6 is just me telling you not to go full speed (read it also).

Resets are not a magic tool for learning things better. It shouldn’t be a surprise that going through the learning process again on materials you probably knew at some point resulted in higher accuracy, a big new swing of confidence, and a happy spouse convenient way of getting back into the groove. If that’s what makes the learning experience great then victory.

However, there are other ways to tackle the issue. I’m not a fan of these, but KaniWani/Kamesame are fairly popular and will give a bit of extra output practice. Kitsun (Neicudi sponsor me please) and Anki have plenty of decks that can be customized to give similar functionality on top of being general purpose SRS utilities. There are more scripts than I can be bothered to look through, but I’d like to push Self-Study Quiz + Additional Filters/Item Inspector which make it super easy to do things like drill recently learned items, recently failed items, leeches, ect…

Which brings me to the next thing, there are a lot of scripts here to tackle the issue of coming back to a stack of reviews (also discussed in the guide). Personally, I like to start with a good old reorder script and just tackle them in order of level. There are countless threads about getting reviews under control on the forums, I’d highly suggest anyone having this issue to either read those or ask for help especially when considering a reset (there are a few tricks/scripts to reduce the guesswork).

I don’t understand why there’s this persistent misguided notion that speed is incompatible with learning, or to refer to the other thread that reordering = skipping vocab. It’s mostly new users who aren’t as involved in the forums that make these kinds of mistakes, then chime in every time about how scripts and speedrunning are bad.

10 Likes