Is kanji study an occupational hazard?

A few days ago I was riding my bicycle around the neighborhood. I passed a building, glanced at the sign, and suddenly realized that it started with a kanji I had learned on WaniKani moments before (I think it was 童). Reflex immediately sent my brain into WaniKani review mode, and a second or two later I had produced both the onyomi and the meaning.

Then I nearly crashed into another unfortunate cyclist who happened to cross my path while I was in the middle of being nerd-sniped.

I’m just curious if I’m the only one this kind of thing happens to.

18 Likes

Not had anything like that happen, but whenever I see a kanji I dont know, or hear a new word, I immediately have to look it up to check the kanji and its meaning.

2 Likes

Since you’re Darth Tomato, can’t you just air-choke the other cyclist?

4 Likes

Almost walked into somebody in-front of me because I was trying to discern the kanji they had on the back of their hoodie. I spaced out quite a bit as I was focusing so much on the radicals of the kanji.

3 Likes

Rofl, nerd sniped, learnt new terminology. Love xkcd.

3 Likes

Learning Japanese makes people crazy, for real.

1 Like

shet I forget this kanji…
all these levels were a waste…

3 Likes

Come on, people standing in your village! Juveniles are lining up for doughnuts.

4 Likes

Possibly, but that would be yet another distraction, and I would have crashed into the person for sure. :sweat_smile:

1 Like