Is it supposed to be hard?

so recently in my lessons, I’ve come across old vocab and old kanji and I can’t seem to remember as in the readings even tho I passed them a while back. is this a usual thing? or should I be worried?

1 Like

That is completely normal and expected! SRS is about building up those things you forget by having them come up just a bit more often. I use https://www.wkstats.com to monitor my accuracy over time. I’d only be worried if my accuracy dropped to something like 70% then I’d know I’m adding too many lessons.

4 Likes

You should be worried if you didn’t come across items you didn’t forget. That’s the strength of SRS, but also something that can make it frustrating: if the SRS is functioning correctly you should always average something like 80 to 90% correct reviews.

If you get nearly 100% every time it means that the SRS is inefficient and gives you the items to review too early. If you get a lot less than that, like 60%, it means that either the intervals are too large (not really possible on Wanikani) or that you’re struggling with something and you need to adjust.

4 Likes