Is it really better to push radicals to the front?

reordering lessons is a way to go faster without having to do huge piles of lessons when you level-up. the downside might be that that you learn a set of new radicals before learning the vocab using the kanji you just guru’ed, so that vocab might be a little more difficult to learn, but that’s all.

it can of course also be abused, to just not learn the vocab, but if somebody want to do that then that’s their thing.

personally i’m going quite fast, with just over 20 lessons a day. i don’t think of myself as a speedrunner, but depending on definitions i might be. and i’m quite in awe of the superfast speed-runners, who reach level 60 in a year or less. i would never be able to be so consistent over such a long time.

but i am also delighted by people who take it slowly. when someone posts about reaching level 60 after five years that makes me happy! i find it super encouraging to see that one really can go at one’s own speed, and that having to take a break isn’t the end of learning kanji.

so yeah, it is what it is. a tool to let you go a little faster if you want to. it’s not better or worse, just a tool.

4 Likes

I decided for level 6 to keep the WK sequence, but increase the daily lessons from 15 to 20 to get started on the new material just a little bit sooner. I think it’ll be easier to absorb new vocab directly following the radicals and kanji. I’ll have to start the new stuff with just 1 radical on day three of level 6 after getting through the 59 vocab items.

It took me 12d10h to get through level 5,down from 15 and 16 for 3 and 4. A 12-day average pace puts me on track for just under two years to complete all levels, I think. I know there are shorter levels later on, so it might work out even better, but life does tend to get in the way.

2 Likes

And most of the time these “new” radicals are just old Kanji as radicals :smiley:

1 Like

I use Tsurukame to reorder lessons a lot. Sometimes it’s about efficiency, but mostly it’s dependent on how much my brain hurts that day. I LOVE memorizing radicals because I find them really easy to learn and the lessons go quickly. So usually if I have them available, I do them first. Then if I don’t have any radicals and I don’t feel like learning new kanji, I might surf through vocab to help reinforce kanji I’ve already learned.

For some reason, it sometimes takes me several rounds of Apprentice 1 before I can even recognize a kanji enough to start advancing it down the SRS track. Since I know progress is going to be slow anyway, I just do my kanji lessons when I feel like I can spend a few minutes per character to develop a solid mnemonic for each one. Creating a custom mnemonic helps a lot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.