Is it possible to make likes restore at the same time once per day?

I’m sorry, maybe, this should be addressed to Discourse developers, but is there a way to make all likes restore at the same time, for example, at 00:00 UTC?

These “please wait 5 seconds till you can like a post” – “now please wait 15 seconds till you can like another post” – “now please wait 4 minutes till you can like another post” messages are really annoying…
Restoring all likes at once at specific time would probably be simpler to implement as well…

10 Likes

Have you considered not using up all of your likes? Then it wouldn’t be an issue. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

orange cat vs orange cat

BATTLE BEGIN!!!

though would be nice if we didn’t run out of them !! just give us more or else (we will threaten to use cups of cat!) :cat2:

16 Likes

millicent has entered the chat

@trunklayer I think this is indeed something you’ll need to post on the Discourse forum. Not much the mods here can do about it. (but I totally agree)

6 Likes

In all seriousness, I’m not quite sure why the limitation is even there. Each user can like each post only once. It’s a toggle even. I doubt it would generate so much traffic that Discourse would have to throttle.

@Mods ?

6 Likes

Hey @WeebPotato! I don’t believe we have the ability to change the limitation on daily likes. I’ll pass your suggestion along @trunklayer’s to the Discourse team though. :+1:

-Nick at WK

6 Likes

It doesn’t solve that problem anyway because likes are validated by the back-end, so you still get the traffic

Besides, if you want to throw a whole bunch of traffic at Discourse there are way easier and more resource-intensive (on their end) ways to do that :smile:

5 Likes

You can-ish, you can let people become higher than ‘regular’, after a quick google you can become a ‘leader’ and get 3x the likes (still not enough but it shows there’s actually no moderation of the forum here, all the roles haven’t been established.)

Using discourse it looks like it’s impossible to grant people infinite likes, but it looks like it’s possible to create another trust level.

3 Likes

You don’t need another trust level. Between max_likes_per_day, tl2_additional_likes_per_day_multiplier, and tl3_additional_likes_per_day_multiplier, I’m sure they could figure out a way to increase the number of likes available. Though somehow I suspect @trunklayer will still manage to use them all every day. :wink:

6 Likes

Hey Pembo! Thanks for looking that up. You are correct, we do have a ‘leader’ trust level higher than ‘regular,’ but I am actually not in TL4, and I am a moderator. :sweat_smile:

We do moderate the forum, we just rely a lot on the users to help us, since we are a small customer support team. :slightly_smiling_face:

-Nick at WK

6 Likes

Hey seanblue! By they, do you mean the Discourse team? I’ll also check with JenK (who is an admin), if we can tweak things on our end. I’m not an admin, so I can’t see some of the settings from my account.

-Nick at WK

3 Likes

I meant WaniKani. One of you with admin access should be able to change it. If you all get stuck, someone from Discourse can help though.

5 Likes

I think the like limitation is here for social reasons, not technical ones. Discourse has some opinionated defaults meant to promote quality discussion. I guess they deem that somebody liking too much should be more discerning with what they like. Whether it’s right or not is rather subjective.

I must say that I didn’t even know that there was such a limitation in place, I guess I must be too negative…

5 Likes

I don’t think any moderation of likes is going to improve the quality of discussion in the Poll threads, which is where Trunky’s spending all the likes. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I think the only people who hit the limit are the poll thread people. I’ve literally never hit it before and I assume most people don’t.

I agree with your analysis and probably would encourage people to like posts more discerningly rather than using likes as read receipts. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, that would explain it, my only interaction with those threads is to hit the “Mute” button every time a new one pops up.

5 Likes

I also like a lot of cat posts.

The only thing with poll threads is that there is a lot of chatting, that is, social interaction.

3 Likes

True, you can’t improve upon perfection

4 Likes

Perfect is the enemy of good. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Most people don’t reach their limits, but I doubled it. Since you’re a Regular, you’re going from 200 to now 400.

11 Likes