Is it allowed to store other people's API key?

I am trying to create a web app, that is both accessible to mobile and desktop. So, how do I prevent inserting API key every time?

Do I save in localStorage, or can I save in the database?

3 Likes

With Wkstats and the Timemachine, it’s in local storage.
With Kaniwani and Kamesame, they save your API token in their database.

2 Likes

Actually, I belive @rfindley has access to all our keys through wkstats

7 Likes

Of course, how would you achieve world domination otherwise?

13 Likes

She must. I had an issue with WKStats once, and without giving her my key or anything, she was able to see all my data. So, either she stores the keys, and ties to our WK username, or she’s a witch.

2 Likes

The site does indeed store your key. I just looked at the requests, and there’s one that posts it back to the server

3 Likes

4 Likes

Sounds like I should stop using user synonyms for storing passwords and banking information.

11 Likes

Wait, I don’t have your mother’s maiden name yet!

7 Likes

No one does. She’s really paranoid about being enslaved through knowledge of her True Name. Debilitating fear of summoning circles. I think she must have had a bad binding experience once, but I can barely understand the old languages, so :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Nah… just a black cat. :smile_cat:
(…a male black cat, actually)

But yes, I used to get so many requests for help with scripts and wkstats that I just started recording the apikeys so I could quickly and easily help people. Looks like I currently have about 31,000 apikeys. But I think I’ve only looked up maybe three or four keys in the last year. These days, the community solves most user questions before I have to get that far.

7 Likes

:man_facepalming: In my defense, ya got one of them there gender neutral names… Can’t blame me too much

Oh, no worries. :wink:
Heck, I almost ended up in the girls’ dorm in college.
When I arrived and walked into the dorm room, my roommate-to-be wasn’t there at the moment, and I thought, “My roommate has a very feminine sense of style.” Turns out there was a reason for that :laughing:

10 Likes

This sounds like the plot of a 1980s teen movie

1 Like

Heh, it does. Also sounds like a few anime plots.
Was it “Love Hina” where the male character has to go live at his grandmother’s inn, which has been converted into a female-only apartment complex?

edit: yes, it was

If you need to reuse the key over and over, it might be a good idea to keep the key in local storage. I would not want to keep my users’ keys in my database. In fact, Yomi.ai does not even store the key in local storage. But then again, kanji and vocab do not burn as frequent — and your use case might be very different.

1 Like

I too have sacrificed donated to the cause.

Also, happy birthday @rfindley.

3 Likes

Thanks! Cinco de Mayo!

2 Likes