Is 王 used in ways other than to mean King?

Forgive me, total noob here and first question on this forum.

Is 王 used in ways other than to mean king?

For example, I’ve been perusing Japanese metal bands, and I noticed in one song the vocalist let’s out a deep scream 「おお! 」 and from what I can tell of the context I’m not seeing how this could mean King, my best guess it’s just a “cool” way to transcribe a metal growl… But maybe it does mean king?

Here’s the video, skip to about 30 seconds in to hear where it’s used, and the music video shows the kanji:

And here’s what I can find on the lyrics so there’s a bit of a better understanding on the surrounding context:

If there’s a secondary meaning, or if this is just a metal culture thing that I’m not getting, would be awesome to get some clarification.

5 Likes

It’s just King. They mention a king and queen later on as well. And the call themselves a pride, like lions, king of the jungle. Maybe the king is going on a hunt or something? Or just shopping :grin:

(喰い)ちらす キング&クイーン

6 Likes

You can only see a giant doner kebab in the middle of a metal concert in Japan I guess :laughing:

5 Likes

Lol, thanks guys, appreciate the quick feedback.

2 Likes

Maximum the Hormone ( マキシマム ザ ホルモン) is known for having lyrics which do not make sense. They build it so it sounds good, not especially making sense :smiley: a good example is " Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nururu Rero Rero" where the sounds refer to actions like kissing, licking and such so you get the idea where it hints at :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.