Is '↓' often used in Japanese writing?

I was just reading an article on Japanese Quora and came across this sentence:

What’s the purpose of the downward facing arrow? I did some Googling and found only that it’s called 下矢印 which is fairly straightforward, but I’ve never seen it used before, much less in this context. Is it just a typo or something that’s used often in Japanese writing?

3 Likes

Just an extremely uneducated wild guess, but maybe it’s something about the intonation of the sentence? Is this spoken language?

1 Like

I was wondering about it being intonation related as well. But nope, just an article in Quora about not understanding English etc. It very well could be, but I’ve got no clue.

1 Like

Isn’t there any picture or anything of sort below that sentence? From what I guess the person was saying something found below describes his/her situation

2 Likes

It’s just an arrow. Link the article. He’s just pointing to something below. Same as I might do something like this:

See the above ^

3 Likes

Here’s the link to the article. And here’s the picture for context.

It does make sense that it could be referring to the picture below. I guess I was just overthinking it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Isn’t that the dude from that one Monkey Majik song? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Haha, I have zero idea of what that means. But I’ll take your word for it :laughing:

1 Like

下矢印 literally means “down arrow” where 下 means “down” and 矢印 means “arrow symbol”

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have seen this arrow used for pitch-accent notation before, and there is a downstep (no, not a downstep but more of a new pitch accent phrase(?), someone more skilled than me probably knows) after に in that sentence according to the prosody tutor, but I think it might be a coincidence in this case.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah, I think that definitely could be it. Either that, or just pointing to the picture.

What…
did I just watch

it’s beautiful

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.