IRL kanji help!

My dad inherited a Baby Nambu pistol and is trying to sell it, but is having trouble determining the worth. It would help if we could read the Kanji on the back of the barrel. It’s a little hard to read because it was stamped in the metal, but I think the first kanji is “ceremony” and the last could be “south”. I cannot figure out the middle one, and since I’m only level 10, I appeal to you, my senpai

(I will not be offended if your translation completely differs from mine. I know I’m bad at this.)

2 Likes

Heh think it’s just what you already said, Nambu
南部式
It’s written right to left because that was common WWII and before.

8 Likes

Yup, that appears to be right. As you say, right to left, you get “nan-bu-shiki” (“Nambu model”).

1 Like

The 部 is a little hard to recognize, but here’s a picture of another one:

1 Like

Is that seal script?

1 Like

No, I think it is sealion script.

Also, I had no idea what seal script was.

2 Likes

I don’t think it looks quite like seal script… but I don’t know what it is, either, so.

It’s the kind of writing you see on stuff like the Japanese passport (日本国旅券 in the image below)

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I looked it up when you mentioned it. It reminds me of the Mew Pokemon cards they gave out before the first Pokemon movie.

4 Likes

oh wow it totally does

1 Like

In case anyone wants more info: My dad was pretty bummed because he (and everyone else on the internet who has a Baby Nambu) believed that the kanji said “Imperial Gift”. Those are extremely rare and worth a fortune. This is still worth some money, maybe ten thousand. But if you search for Baby Nambu on ebay or something, this picture is shown as proof that the seller’s pistol is one of the extremely valuable ones. Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.