[iOS/Android/Windows] Jakeipuu

Good to know cos I just ran into that my first time today.
I prefer this app to the Tsurukame app since this has much more visibility and filtering.

I guess I’ll stick to Tsurukame till it decides to load itself.

+1 !
That would be amazing!
Especially, the option to disable typos tolerance.

I have no experience with apps but can contribute with NLP, add more features to Reading suggestions page, add confusion matrix for the user’s most commonly confused kanji, etc.

1 Like

I’ve just had this start happening to me. The app always shows me as 2 reviews, and when I complete them it just says 0% correct 0 items reviewed. And now the Jakeipuu’s count of my lessons and reviews doesn’t match up with the Wanikani website.

is there anyone who could help me troubleshoot this app? i downloaded it month ago, entered my API token and it went to the loading screen… and never advanced. it just stays on the screen saying “retrieving data from wanikani”. i tried to download it to my ipad(i downloaded to my iphone 1st) but the same thing happened. ive deleted and reinstalled the app a few times. once the app is reinstalled it opens on the “retrieving data” screen. it doesn’t even go to the login page. i’d really like to use the app. please help!

1 Like

New lesson: 頁. WK wants me to type ページ. This app changes my answer automatically to the incorrect form ぺえじ, and I can’t find any way to input my answer to this kanji. Is this a known bug? I want to keep using this app, it great overall.

I have the same issue currently. Any workaround appreciated… I tried copy and paste, but it didn’t help.

1 Like

So what do you do in the meantime? Just keep the word in apprentice I, or exit and do the review directly in WK?

Update: It appears that when I type with the English keyboard: pe-ji it’s accepted. Will have to get used to typing like that ( I prefer the Japanese keyboard most of the time)

Hm, I thought I did that (pe-ji), but I just tried now again and it worked this time. Odd!

I used this app exclusively for a couple of months and just recently went back to using wanikani on my desktop. I found a major problem with the app. The meanings that are accepted aren’t even close to what they actually should be. I didn’t realize this so I’ve actually been learning many kanji meanings wrong. Like for 助手 I’m pretty sure if you type in “support” or “to help” it actually accepts those answers. 助手 means “assistant”. Those are very different. Because of this I’m probably going to stop using the app unless I just want to add some specific vocabulary from a level into my rotation.

Alright I see now this is a known issue already.

Just getting back to WaniKani after a long hiatus (sooo painful - went ahead with a major reset!) and a lot has changed. Reading up on things I discovered this app and downloaded it. But, I am unable to get started. “Unable to load data from WaniKani” :frowning_face:

I tried the option to let the app automagically generate an API token and when that failed I tried doing it manually. Immediately I noticed that the last character of the API token that I generated did not appear in the input box. And, it’s not possible to type it in from the keyboard.

I am assuming that is why I cannot log in, has anyone else had a similar problem??

Seems like the developer has taken a leave of absence after putting out an amazing amount of work early on. Everyone needs a break, heh heh. But it sounds like a cool app I’d love to try it.

Subsequent attempt at the automagical API key worked - and love the app! :two_hearts:

I use Jakeipuu. I sometimes confuse “valley” 谷 with “all” 全, and part of the reason, other than my own stupidity, is that ״all” is accepted as a valid answer to 谷. Can this be fixed please?

Welcome to the community, @bea_bicza!

I assume you were able to work out your problem since you deleted your post.

May your WK studies live long and prosper.

I have the same problem. No missing characters from API token but login invariably fails. I am giving up for now.
No problem logging in Flaming Durtles though.

1 Like

I’m not sure why it didn’t work then it did, but finally the automagic option worked. I absolutely love this app, so keep trying. Have not tried flaming durtles myself.

Hey I think I have the solution. The DEFAULT API is read-only, so you need to create one - but it’s easy.

Go to the website, go to the API Token section in settings and ‘Generate a new token’. In the menu that comes up tick all the boxes to give permissions to that API Token.

Then when you log into the Jakeipuu App in iOS (you may have to log out first), click to enter the api token details manually and put in the token number of the one you just created. That worked for me and solved the same problem.

Random but annoying - I’ve just came back to wanikani after a long break, opened Jakeipuu (which I use exclusively) and the font is all BOLD. Anyone know how to turn it back to normal?

I came to the same conclusion because Flaming Durtles also started to have problems with the default API token. Didn’t try it yet as using apps is not a priority for me.