[iOS/Android] Jakeipuu

Looks AMAZING! Finally a decent wanikani app for android! Thanks a lot from one developer to another! :smiley:

There is also Flaming Durtles… I’m curious why you’re only calling this one decent. :wink:

P.S. Welcome to the forums! We hope you decide to stay…

1 Like

Some people just like to dunk on FD. It’s fine, just let it go. It doesn’t matter.

7 Likes

Android suggestions:

1. From the homescreen, I like the option on the right to click the “eye” to show or not show the labels. However, if you choose to have the “eye” open so that you can see the hiragana and English when checking the kanji, the setting to keep the “eye” open isn’t sticky or doesn’t stay on. It always defaults to “line through the eye” when you close the app. I haven’t found anything in the settings to change this.

2. When doing lessons, you have a choice to do 1,2,3,4,5 batches. This is nice. However, in the settings, it only starts at 3 for the lowest setting and you can’t go lower. If you want to do 1 or 2 at a time, you always have to press 1 or 2 in the batch size.

3. I would be nice to have an “I don’t know” button, instead of pushing a random letter and then enter. Flaming Durtles has this.

4. When doing Lessons, I found the text for the readings quite small. I would like to increase the size. This really becomes a problem when the answer is “き” or “ぎ” or example. It’s hard to see the difference. Increasing the text size automatically solves this.

5. There doesn’t seem to be a reminder notification on Android that you have new reviews available.

6. On startup, fetching data is quite slow compared to Flaming Durtles.

Despite the above, there is a lot to like about this app and I do. Hopefully you will consider the above notes and implement solutions into your Android app.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.:+1:t2:

I’ll update the app so that it’ll remember the last setting.

I’ll add 1,2 to the setting.

Based on my experience, it’s unlikely that I don’t know the meaning/reading at all so I think the button is rarely be used. I would prefer to keep the current implementation.

I’ll add this one to the backlog.

It’s in the backlog.

It’s in the backlog but its priority is relatively low. I planned to support Android, iOS, macOS, Window and Web so it would take time to implement a solution that will work for all platforms.

Fair enough. Based on my experience, I use the button all the time, because often I don’t have a clue and it saves me from typing a random letter and enter to see the answer. :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to read and planning to improve the app. Good job!

1 Like

This is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt, but I find that even if I have no idea, putting a random reading/meaning that I know isnt right, bit is related to what I DO know about the kanji is better than just putting a random letter. Sometimes I surprise myself and get close, or sometimes completely wrong. In the case where I’m completely wrong it’s no worse than an “I don’t know” button so I don’t see the harm in it. Plus those times where I am close really help me enforce the correct answer.

2 Likes

I have added this app to the list of third party apps. Feel free to update the description as you please

3 Likes

Just updated to the new tablet version, and it looks great! You’re updating at record speed. Thanks for that.

Would it be possible to put all breakdown, reading, and meaning information on one page for the tablet version? The page within page scrolling feels a little odd, and a single page up and down scroll would be a bit more immediate.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you!

1 Like

Using this app since a few days and its honestly amazing - I would pay money for this.
Its completly like the WK website just for mobile!

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Please check out the FAQ and jprspereira’s Guide!

1 Like