[iOS/Android/Windows] Jakeipuu

Looks AMAZING! Finally a decent wanikani app for android! Thanks a lot from one developer to another! :smiley:

There is also Flaming Durtles… I’m curious why you’re only calling this one decent. :wink:

P.S. Welcome to the forums! We hope you decide to stay…

1 Like

Some people just like to dunk on FD. It’s fine, just let it go. It doesn’t matter.

9 Likes

Android suggestions:

1. From the homescreen, I like the option on the right to click the “eye” to show or not show the labels. However, if you choose to have the “eye” open so that you can see the hiragana and English when checking the kanji, the setting to keep the “eye” open isn’t sticky or doesn’t stay on. It always defaults to “line through the eye” when you close the app. I haven’t found anything in the settings to change this.

2. When doing lessons, you have a choice to do 1,2,3,4,5 batches. This is nice. However, in the settings, it only starts at 3 for the lowest setting and you can’t go lower. If you want to do 1 or 2 at a time, you always have to press 1 or 2 in the batch size.

3. I would be nice to have an “I don’t know” button, instead of pushing a random letter and then enter. Flaming Durtles has this.

4. When doing Lessons, I found the text for the readings quite small. I would like to increase the size. This really becomes a problem when the answer is “き” or “ぎ” or example. It’s hard to see the difference. Increasing the text size automatically solves this.

5. There doesn’t seem to be a reminder notification on Android that you have new reviews available.

6. On startup, fetching data is quite slow compared to Flaming Durtles.

Despite the above, there is a lot to like about this app and I do. Hopefully you will consider the above notes and implement solutions into your Android app.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.:+1:t2:

Implemented

Implemented

Based on my experience, it’s unlikely that I don’t know the meaning/reading at all so I think the button is rarely be used. I would prefer to keep the current implementation.

I’ll add this one to the backlog.

Implemented

It’s in the backlog but its priority is relatively low. I planned to support Android, iOS, macOS, Window and Web so it would take time to implement a solution that will work for all platforms.

Fair enough. Based on my experience, I use the button all the time, because often I don’t have a clue and it saves me from typing a random letter and enter to see the answer. :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to read and planning to improve the app. Good job!

2 Likes

This is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt, but I find that even if I have no idea, putting a random reading/meaning that I know isnt right, bit is related to what I DO know about the kanji is better than just putting a random letter. Sometimes I surprise myself and get close, or sometimes completely wrong. In the case where I’m completely wrong it’s no worse than an “I don’t know” button so I don’t see the harm in it. Plus those times where I am close really help me enforce the correct answer.

4 Likes

I have added this app to the list of third party apps. Feel free to update the description as you please

4 Likes

Just updated to the new tablet version, and it looks great! You’re updating at record speed. Thanks for that.

Would it be possible to put all breakdown, reading, and meaning information on one page for the tablet version? The page within page scrolling feels a little odd, and a single page up and down scroll would be a bit more immediate.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you!

2 Likes

Using this app since a few days and its honestly amazing - I would pay money for this.
Its completly like the WK website just for mobile!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Please check out the FAQ and jprspereira’s Guide!

1 Like

@Pakkapao
Recently I started making vocab lesson in the app, It is possible to add feature to hide example sentences translation with option to uncover them?. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently the hidden translation setting doesn’t support while taking lesson or review. I’ll add this to backlog.

Could it be more flexible on terms of sizing? Like height of longest day in current forecast.

By the way, this suggestion has been implemented and released. Thank you!

3 Likes

I really enjoy this app. It’s great from a general design and a UI design standpoint, imo. Thanks a lot for your work and consistency!

However I have found a few things that I feel could be improved. I don’t know if these things stem from me using a Samsung Galaxy S7, my API key, something from your app or something else. They do appear only when using your app though.

When writing the Japanese readings, it happens very frequently that my inputs aren’t being registered, which means that I often have to press twice or more on the button for it to show up on screen. Otherwise it may result in wrong words:

This does not happen when the English meaning is asked.

After downloading the app and entering my login data, I had a single review of the “hills” radical present, even though according to the WK website I shouldn’t have any reviews at that moment at all. So I solved it anyway and the summary that appears after every session, counts a total of 0 done reviews. Going on the home menu it still keeps showing that single review in the queue, but nothing happens when I solve it.

Not as much of a problem, but a feature from the original WaniKani and some apps that I miss a lot: The little message that pops up and informs the user that there are alternate meanings or readings for a word after solving it. As sometimes these different meanings and readings can easily be forgotten, if you don’t check them yourself.

So my suggestion would either be that speech bubble popup message that shows me that I should click on more info, or even better, that this info box with readings and meanings gets opened automatically.

Other than that, I’m really happy with your app and I would probably use exclusively it, if it weren’t for these 3 points. (especially 1 and 3, as 2 could be ignored even though it’s kinda annoying haha)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

There should be a feature where input is not accepted if a given kana ending doesn’t match. (〜れう should not be allowed to submit at all for 〜れる)

1 Like

You mean like when the text box shakes when you mistake the on’yomi for the kun’yomi reading in normal WK? That would be nice, agreed.

2 Likes

Thank you your feedback.

1. I’ll investigate this further but it would be super helpful if you could send me a screen recording. I tried to reproduce on my phone, but I can’t.
  2. This must be a bug. Are you using the latest version?
  3. I’ll add this one to the list.
1 Like

You’re right. I often find myself typo the wrong ending kana especially those -う/ -る verbs.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your response.

1. I’ll gladly post a recording once I have a good amount of reviews piled up tomorrow.
  2. I checked and it appears to be the current version. I also deinstalled and installed and synced my account again, to no avail.
  3. ありがとうございます。