[iOS/Android/Windows] Jakeipuu

Hi @Pakkapao thank you so much for this app, I’ve found it so helpful to keep on top of reviews! I have two requests for improving the app:

1. Adding an ‘auto commit’ option (I use this script on the web and it is SO helpful: [Userscript] auto-commit; the end of the enter key)
  2. Adding information on pitch accent (see this script: [Userscript] WaniKani Pitch Info)

Thank you for all your hard work :blush:

1 Like

Here the video. As you can see, it’s only on the readings. Ignore the occasional typo. However, often times even though I pressed on a button, it isn’t even shown on screen, so you’d more or less have to guess when it occured - often when there’s a little longer pause during the typing.

Edit: oh btw, the infamous hills radical which only shows up on your app can be seen here too.

Sounds like an outdated static database if I had to guess - it was moved to level 29 from 8 a few months back

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. I’ll add both of them to backlog.

2 Likes

I’ll have a look as soon as I can. Thank you. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hello. Thanks for implementing previous suggestions.

I have a new feature request.

I do a lot of my reviews on my desktop computer. Recently, I installed the userscript, " WaniKani Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer

It’s absolutely fantastic. Is there any way to have the same option in Jakeipuu?

Hey there,

I just downloaded the app and really like it so far, but I too have a few suggestions for improving the app:

1. I’m using Jakeipuu on an Iphone XR, which, when I swipe from the bottom to view the current Item Info when reviewing, opens the home screen most of the time. I would recommend adding an option to tap on the info bar?

2. The other iOS App I’ve been using, Tsurukame, has the brilliant option to automatically switch between your standard keyboard (qwerty?) and a japanese 12-key kana keyboard for the readings. This would save me (and possibly some others?) a lot of time as I love using the kana keyboard and I constantly find myself switching keyboards.

Thank you so much for your work so far!

Hi there I am a new member and have been enjoying this app together with my sister

But we encountered some small problems

1. Our access to new material is different! We moved up toward kanji and my sis was able to learn and review all the kanji directly while I had 4 of them locked away. Note: sis got Android and I have apple…

2. Both on Android and Apple we don’t seem to get any notifications regarding available notifications
    Which is a bit sad
    If it is possible it would be wonderful if you could add that~

Are you both on your own accounts? And your progress is exactly the same through each SRS stage for each radical and kanji? (For example Apprentice 1, 2, 3, etc). Just asking because the odds of two people being perfectly in sync down to the SRS stages for each kanji is really, really rare.

If you’re sharing an account, on the other hand, that’s definitely not going to work.

2 Likes

Yeah we are both on our own accounts!
I think we were pretty similar! Like both of us had like some radicals wrong and such. And even now we both still need to complete 1 radical, bytes moved onto the kanji in the meantime. Therefore we were confused that one of us could access all and the other couldn’t.

The kanji are locked until you “guru” the radicals they are built with

2 Likes

Ah that makes so much sense. Thank youuuu! :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Since updates to the app are getting rejected by Apple, would you be interested in listing a TestFlight version to something like Airport or Departures instead?

1 Like

Anyone who can enlighten me if the iOS version does or doens’t send out notifications regarding reviews.
I read that the app is rejected by Apple, so in a sense I wonder even if the app developer make changes, I guess these updates won’t be received by us right…

I don’t think it does. Review notifier is probably very helpful in the beginning but the Review Forecast is the most helpful long term IMO. As the reviews pour in later on, most users would likely turn off notifications anyways as this would get pretty annoying. Tsurukame has the red notifier badge on the icon but you have the refresh it to keep it updated; would be great if Jakeipuu had this though.

Apple’s conquest against their own users never ends, huh?
How do they expect a third party app to collect money via IAP on behalf of Tofugu?

Well, guess you can just install from another app sto- oh yeah. But you can sidelo- oh wait.
Flaming Durtles and the ability to use Userscripts are what is keeping me on Android. Freedom!

1 Like

Did @Pakkapao try to contact Apple about this? This app isn’t violating the guideline.

As of October 26, 2020, the guideline reads:

If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc. Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase.

If not, I would appreciate it if you did. Maybe include something along the lines of:

I strongly believe this app is not in violation of Guideline 3.1.1. Jakeipuu does not have premium features or functionality that cannot be accessed for free, and the developers do not make any money from the use of this app. Although Jakeipuu does require login to an external service, which does have subscriptions, namely WaniKani, that service is not affiliated with Jakeipuu, and WaniKani does not endorse, sponsor, or have any involvement with the development of it. If that were a violation of said guideline, web browsers could not be allowed, as they require an external service to be paid for and provided in order to provide useful functionality, namely the Internet. In the same way, this application, created by users of WaniKani, is designed to extend its functionality by allowing users to continue using it offline, among numerous other features.
If Jakeipuu were to provide unlockable features as defined in Guideline 3.1.1, such as requiring a payment to enable notifications, Jakeipuu would use an in-app purchase for said paid feature. Is there anything we can do to keep this app on the App Store?

1 Like

I would also try to contact them. Afaik, you can also include reviewer notes so that they are aware that Wanikani (the company) is not involved in your app.
I work in a app dev company and we got rejected for various reasons. Some were valid but if they were not, talking to them helped.

(Google is also not getting better - they also want to change their guidelines in a similar way. I don’t know if you guys know their fight with Fortnite. If Google wins, Google gets the same as Apple regarding Web payments)

You could maybe also register a free Wanikani user and give them it’s API key (include it in the reviewer notes), so they can check it themselves that you don’t have any hidden paywalls for Web payments after.

2 Likes

I would have already contacted Apple if I was involved in Jakeipuu’s app development. I’m just genuinely concerned about the state of affairs at the moment, particularly with third-party WK iOS apps… :wink:

It would be a real shame if this app dies out because of some app store nonsense. The cherry-picking feature is a game changer.

2 Likes