[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

What does “next level-up” review mean? From the name I would assume it means the review session that would make me level up but that seems to not be the case. Also that information is already in the “time remaining” block. Does “newest available” mean when the lesson was first available or when the review was first available? So many new confusing terms :smiley:

The font randomizer doesn’t revert back to default when you press the item area. I guess it broke for some reason; probably gonna have to disable extra fonts until that’s fixed.

It sometimes happens! :wink: Just try relaunching the app.

I implemented the “next level-up” review. It’s the next current level review that could help level up. (Not vocabulary, and not radicals if they’re not needed.) Kanji above 90% are included, because you might end up needing them. :wink:

I also implemented the new sort order. Sorry if the terminology was confusing, it seemed like it would be clear that it meant the review (especially since there’s already a current/lowest level first option)

I haven’t experienced any issues with the font randomiser, it’s working perfectly fine for me. Does it work in Matt Sanford’s beta for you?

1 Like

Okay I guess the “level-up” is just a bit confusing. I have some kanji coming up in a few hours from the current level so it says “next level-up review” is in 2 hours. However, I still have other kanji from the current level that will be gurued tomorrow, so that’s when I actually level up. I just don’t see why it’s called level up if you are not actually leveling up! :smiley: So it basically tells you when you are going to guru kanji that is on the current level? How about something like “next guru kanji review”. I don’t know it’s hard to describe.

That’s not what it does. It’s not telling you when you level up, or when you guru kanji. It is telling you when you have a current level review that can help you level up. See

If I have a current level kanji at Apprentice II, it will say when this kanji is due for review. Vocabulary is completely ignored because nobody cares about it, and radicals are ignored if and only if 90% of current level kanji are unlocked.

It’s a starting point to help people have a general idea for leveling up quickly, since that was the original motive of the issue being closed.

Okay I think I get it. It seems pretty useful for optimising level up times. Still I think it could be named a bit more clearly, especially since it’s on a prime placement on the first page :slight_smile: Maybe I would move it down to the “this level” block. My reasoning is that it’s a pretty “speedster” feature, so it should have a smaller “attention placement”. What do you think?

Poor vocab. :open_mouth: I actually would have preferred if it included vocab, too ^^

1 Like

I agree on vocab, but that’s why I had to remove it.
If I put it in the this level tab, it might be more misleading than it already is about what it does.

1 Like

Oh god, it’s gorgeous!

1 Like

Is there a way to turn dark mode off inside tsurukame? I usually use dark mode on my phone, but I like tsurukame more in day mode :confused:

Not at the moment, but there is this PR:

I did some work on the font randomizer recently, but mostly around how it works in Lessons as opposed to Reviews. Are you testing in the TestFlight beta? If not, give it a try by installing the TestFlight app and visiting TestFlight - Apple.

I did notice that recently the default Japanese text font on my phone switched. This might have been due to an iOS release or because I’ve been testing Japanese keyboard software. I ended up having to go into Settings > General > Language & Region and use “Add Language …” to add Japanese as a secondary language.

I created an issue at Feature: Add Dark Mode Setting · Issue #262 · davidsansome/tsurukame · GitHub and will see how hard it is to add a setting.

1 Like

Man, this app makes my day. Thanks for the hard work.

Hmm, my problem atm is how it used to switch back to the default font when you press and hold anywhere on the colored area (pink for kanji, purple for vocab). Seems like that feature is gone. It was useful with the armed banana font because often it is a complete mess :smiley:

EDIT: Okay, it works if you press exactly in the center of the word, but it is a bit of a nuisance. Mostly I have a habit of double checking the original font so now I’m pressing the screen out of habit but nothings happening lol

I can’t reproduce the issue on my device, what kind of device are you on and what version of Tsurukame? I’m using the latest master branch locally (just a bit past the TestFlight I sent) and I can long press anywhere in the colored area to reveal the default font (it takes ~2 seconds to reveal). You can see my experience on a device at https://mzsanford.com/share/RPReplay_Final1579198392.mov, which does not show where I tap but it’s the lower-right and lower-left corners of the purple area. If I swipe across the purple area it switches fonts and stays switched – I also added that in Turn off font randomizer during lesson quiz by mzsanford · Pull Request #232 · davidsansome/tsurukame · GitHub but I had forgotten. All of that should be in the App Store at this point.

1 Like

Definitely experience this in your TestFlight but just like you said on my master (built from #261).

I got used to swiping so I guess I didn’t realize it :laughing:

Okay it does work but it takes anywhere between 2 to 4 seconds, where it used to be instantaneous. I’m on an iPhone SE on the official app store build. The swipe seems to work instantly, but it is so much more work to do than just tapping. Didn’t know about it before. It even changes the font if you swipe from left to right I see. Right to left seems to switch the font permanently.

1 Like

The new dark mode is SEXY AFFFFF.

Come here to give some love. This app allowed me to unbury myself from a 2000 review avalanche on an airplane. Now am excited to keep going again!

Minor request: in the search, can I search items per level so I can see what is coming next level?

1 Like

Currently having an issue where three of my reviews are stuck with me. They came back up for actual review I think but after finishing them and refreshing on the main page, they show up again. These are 久、久しぶり、久しい

Dark Mode is amazing by the way!!!

1 Like