[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

A minor bug and one that only effects people in half hour time zones (India, central Australia).

I just travelled up to the NT which is half an hour off eastern Australia time. Notifications come up on the top of the hour, local time; half an hour before the reviews unlock, WaniKani time.

I just tried this app and I must say Iā€™m impressed. I might give 5 stars for the first time in my life.

I no longer have to sneak around my laptop to hide wanikani screen at work.

thanks Tsurukame!

1 Like

Oofā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of queued updates! Iā€™m having the same issue. I have 178 review progress sitting in the queued updates section. There is a post from Jan 28 in this same thread ([iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews - #216 by davidsansome) that says that we might have to log out and back in if the review counts donā€™t match the website.

@davidsansome Is there a way to save our progress?

Had the same problem. Saw this, loved it and back in aaaaandā€¦ all progress deleted entirely.

Screw this app, uninstalled, never using it again. Iā€™ve seen it mentioned a few times as good, maybe it once was. Now itā€™s not. Back to AlliCrab

Calling ā€˜junkā€™ someone elseā€™s work is just rude, especially when it was very kindly given for free. If thereā€™s some problem do let the author know, or stop using the app if you so prefer, but donā€™t forget good manners.

5 Likes

Fair enough, however sabotaging, intentional or not, someone elses work is also ā€œrudeā€ as well. Iā€™ve edited that word out.

1 Like

I understand it can be frustrating, if happened to me as well. But Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t intentional and that does make a difference IMHO. Hopefully that bug will be fixed, until then we had to review a bit more some items, which doesnā€™t necessarily hurt :wink:

1 Like

Youā€™re right! I like your positivity.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been hit by the no-sync bug too. Itā€™s not a lot of progress, but I was coming back from a long break due to lack of motivation, so it hurts quite badly. Itā€™s unfortunate that the developer @davidsansome hasnā€™t said anything about this bug, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I was looking at the API tokens page just before biting the bullet and reinstalling Tsurukame, and I noticed under ā€œPersonal Access Tokensā€ there was only a ā€œDefault read-onlyā€ token, but after reinstalling the app, logging in in it and refreshing the API tokens page thereā€™s also a Tsurukame token now. Could this issue be caused by an expiring token? Could this be solved by refreshing the token if the API returns an auth error code? (I donā€™t know if it does) Or maybe offering a last-resort button in settings that forces a refresh of the token?

1 Like

please do! android user herešŸ˜”

It looks really nice, sad itā€™s not available on android :pensive:, anyway good job :grinning:!!

ps. anyone know anything I can use on my android phone that is similar?? I need to do more ę¼¢å­— study and have limited internet available during the day often.

Thereā€™s ā€˜WK for Androidā€™ on the Play Store, open source and everything, but it will eventually stop working and will need a huge refactoring because it uses API v1, that will soon be deprecated. Guess youā€™ll have to use that while it works.

Iā€™m still working on the app, but itā€™s going reaaaaaallly slow, since Iā€™m going through college and working at the same time, so I have little free time to work on it.

Thanks @davidsansome for this great app! It is really helpful for when you have free time, but donā€™t have access to a computer. Love it!! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi! Just saw that I had less reviews on Tsurukame than I actually have IRL.

Probably because the app hasnā€™t been updated to include the latest kanji + vocab that were just released. The app uses a local database generated from WK content, so every time something changes on the website, a new database needs to be generated and bundled in to a new version of the app.

Oooh, that makes sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @davidsansome! Any idea when you will be able to update the DB to include the new items? Thanks a lot!

5 Likes

Anyone else experiencing syncing problems? My review count is off and Iā€™m repeating reviews after Tsurukame. Did refresh log in/out but no avail.

Yep, got the same problem.
UPD: Solved the problem by logging out/in

Same here so looks good. However, up until yesterday there were issues.