[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

Are you using Obj-C or Swift?

distantgrey said... Are you using Obj-C or Swift?
 Swift 2.0

feature request: could you investigate programatically changing the input language based on the text box. I believe its possible. I try to always use the kana keyboard to enter the reading answers but its a pain switching between english and kana. This would be a great addition because using the kana keyboard allows you to stop thinking in latin letters and start thinking in Japanese syllables when answering which i find so much more useful. Thinking in Japanese is so much better :slight_smile:

YES! FINALLY! THANK YOU!!

Looks much better than the other one (from screenshots), big props for immediately implementing override :smiley:

naryn said... feature request: could you investigate programatically changing the input language based on the text box. I believe its possible. I try to always use the kana keyboard to enter the reading answers but its a pain switching between english and kana. This would be a great addition because using the kana keyboard allows you to stop thinking in latin letters and start thinking in Japanese syllables when answering which i find so much more useful. Thinking in Japanese is so much better :)

This.  This would be so cool.  I only type Japanese using the Kana (swipe) keyboard on my phone and having it automatically switch between keyboards depending on if you are entering the reading or meaning would be totally awesome.  Obviously it would have to be a feature that could be turned on and off, considering most people will just use the romaji keyboard, but, holy moly, that would be lovely. 
naryn said... feature request: could you investigate programatically changing the input language based on the text box. I believe its possible. I try to always use the kana keyboard to enter the reading answers but its a pain switching between english and kana. This would be a great addition because using the kana keyboard allows you to stop thinking in latin letters and start thinking in Japanese syllables when answering which i find so much more useful. Thinking in Japanese is so much better :)

I'll add it to the list.

i’d like to test this app too, email is ccqr2 at hotmail dot com 

from the other thread:

iamcosta said
Hey, I’ve been testing this for a few days now and am really enjoying it.

A couple of comments;
1) It seems to take a long time to load after every session. Not sure if this is the app being slow or wanikani itself but why does it need to check vocabulary, etc, etc after every refresh??
2) The only thing I miss about the old app done by Kyle that got taken off the app store is the part that tells me the prediction for how long it will take me to level up. Would be a nice addition imo.

Anyway, minor quibbles. Really appreciate your effort. The app is beautiful. 
The radical, kanji and vocabulary data contain not only the actual items but also the review stats, such as when it was unlocked and when the next review is due.  This information is used to create the review timeline and schedule local badge number notifications.  I intend to use this for other purposes as well, like showing the review progress of current level radicals and kanji that are not yet Guru and adding level duration statistics like your second request.  Because I don’t have any servers, I need to download the data directly to the app itself.  The time taken could be due to a variety of factors.  I find for me the refresh takes about 15 seconds, but I’m pretty low level so it’s not downloading a large quantity of data.  Most of this time spent for me is waiting for the WaniKani servers to respond.  Looking at the status bar at the bottom, if you see delays when the bottom label says â€œConnecting”, this is waiting for the WaniKani servers to respond.  If you see delays at “Parsing” or “Finishing”, this is the app.  If you see delays at “Waiting”, these are intentional pauses.

When you open the app, the study queue is downloaded if a quarter-hour boundary has been crossed since the last time the study queue was refreshed.  So if, for example, the last refresh was 9:04, it won’t try to refresh again until after 9:15 (plus a random number of seconds).  The study queue contains the number of outstanding lessons and reviews, plus counts for reviews in the next hour and the next day.  When the study queue is fetched, if these numbers haven’t changed since the last refresh no other data is requested, the refresh stops there.  If any of these numbers has changed, then everything gets downloaded.  This is a pretty naive approach and one I intend to improve.  In addition to the check every quarter hour, when you return to the dashboard after starting a review or lesson sesson, it waits 5 seconds, then everything is downloaded.  (The delay is there so that if you do reviews then immediately do lessons it’s not downloading data just to throw it away when the lessons are done.)

Sent an email! Looking forward to trying it out!

Super psyched on this, entirely for the ignore script support. That’s the number one reason I just don’t do reviews on my phone, it’s SO easy to mis type on the phone and I have no interest in messing up a burn review due to that.

Could you also integrate the WK forums? It is kinda painful to switch between the app and the browser version all the time :stuck_out_tongue:
Porting some forums scripts/extensions would also be quite cool :smiley:

You should edit your post to include a “future features” list and add stuff there so that people don’t ask multiple times for a thing you’re already working on (like the lightning mode, right? You’re working on it, RIGHT?).

I’ve pushed out a new test version, and I’ve updated the OP with a near-term future plans section.

Awesome! :smiley:

Liking the updated look of the app

Still having some keyboard issues when doing lesson quizzes.  The keyboard will not automatically pop up after submitting an answer and going to the next item up for review in the quiz.  It will pop up if you swipe or touch anywhere on the screen.  However, (most of the time) if you tap in the entry field the keyboard pops up and immediately disappears.  The keyboard also moves the page down a little bit causing the top of the page to obstruct the view of some items.  Just some minor annoyances.  Still loving this app, it’s made me get back on track with my lessons/reviews.

Thanks, again, for all your work.

If I remember correctly, the main things on the dashboard query from

/study-queue
/level-progression
/srs-distribution

which are all fairly quick queries.

/radicals
/kanji
/vocabulary

are only used by the Timeline view (All Upcoming Reviews)

Would it simplify things (and be easier on API ratelimiting) if you only refreshed radicals/kanji/vocabulary when viewing the Timeline page?

I think you should send him an email instead of posting yours here :
“If you would like to be involved in testing this app, please send me an email at keitaiwanikani@icloud.com.  All I need is your email address, and I’ll send you an invite using Apple’s TestFlight”

pushindawood said... Liking the updated look of the app

Still having some keyboard issues when doing lesson quizzes.  The keyboard will not automatically pop up after submitting an answer and going to the next item up for review in the quiz.  It will pop up if you swipe or touch anywhere on the screen.  However, (most of the time) if you tap in the entry field the keyboard pops up and immediately disappears.  The keyboard also moves the page down a little bit causing the top of the page to obstruct the view of some items.  Just some minor annoyances.  Still loving this app, it's made me get back on track with my lessons/reviews.

Thanks, again, for all your work.
I haven't made any changes in this area just yet, so the lesson page is still the same as you'd get in Safari.  I find that, as a workaround, slightly pulling the page down and releasing it gives the input box focus and prevents it scrolling up.  But this is one of the things on my list I will be looking into very soon.  Glad to hear though that the app helped you get back on track!

kfdm said...Would it simplify things (and be easier on API ratelimiting) if you only refreshed radicals/kanji/vocabulary when viewing the Timeline page?
The review timeline is the only place in the app that uses the data currently.  However, very soon I'll be using the Radical and Kanji data.  I can look into deferring fetching of Vocabulary data until the review timeline is selected, since that's what takes the most time.

Wonderful idea since the old WaniKani iOS app is no longer being maintained afaik. Thank you!

Well done. It just needs the Reorder Ultimate script to be perfect.

A review timeline would be great, as well. I am only a little greedy though. This app is terrific.