[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

Outstanding update, @cplaverty! The changes look great!

1 Like

I like it so far.

Any chance we could get a ā€œComing reviewsā€ bar graph like Wanikani Timeline?

Yeah. This has been on my list for years.

2 Likes

Love the new update! Including the icon, bigger text, search and bug fixes. Hindering how hard would it be to add vocab for current level in addition to the radicals and kanji?

1 Like

Great update! Thank you so much! :sparkles:

1 Like

As an aside, is there a deeper reason why this canā€™t work on iOS 9? Iā€™ve got an olderish ipad that cannot be updated any more :frowning:

@cplaverty Iā€™m glad you like it and hope everyone as well :blush:

4 Likes

Itā€™s amazing!

1 Like

Itā€™s not hard, but the main reason why I donā€™t include it is because progress of vocabulary doesnā€™t affect the levelling process, and the information shown on the dashboard is geared toward showing progress to the next level. Because the unlocking of vocabulary is gated by guruing Kanji, in the general case I would not expect you would get much vocab to guru by the time you levelled up.

Iā€™d like to add more statistics to the app and better display of overall progress, including progress of vocabulary. I donā€™t think the dashboard is the right place to show vocabulary progress though.

Early betas had support for iOS 9, but it just took too much time to keep that support going. Since I made that change a year ago, there is now functionality Iā€™m using which is only available as of iOS 10, so Iā€™d have to go back and rework those areas to make it compile and run on iOS 9. I recently had to drop support for iOS 10 because of crashes and UI bugs, and those would need fixed as well.

The constraint is just time.

5 Likes

Ok I understand the rationale. Hopefully one day thereā€™s a spot for it. Also glad to hear about the statistics. I was actually thinking of building a separate app just for that because none of the mobile ones really do it yet.

Great work on the app~! You have a patreon? :smile:

1 Like

The review timeline already exists in the app which is similar to wanikani timeline in terms of dataā€¦ Would this just mean a UI tweak of that view to be more bar-graph-like?

Have you considered making a discord or slack channel for the app? Iā€™d love to help out in my spare time but it isnā€™t exactly easy to have direct communicate through the forum.

I do this as a hobby because I really enjoy programming in Swift, and have intentionally never accepted any kind of payment because I want it to remain that way. I am concerned that if I ever did accept donations of any kind, I would feel an internal obligation to put more work into it.

The idea was that there would be a UI toggle which would completely replace the tabular review timeline with a graph. The dataā€™s the same, I would just need to feed it into a charting library.

No, Iā€™ve not had any regular contributors which would require setting one up. I do have an email you can use instead of the forum: allicrab@icloud.com

5 Likes

Would you consider giving AlliCrab a Review Order feature? Being able to lump my reviews either by SRS or my current level instead of just the random order has helped me quite a bit whenever Iā€™m in a bind at work.

1 Like

Interesting, Iā€™ll give this a download! Iā€™m always looking for more ways to review.

2 Likes

For the next major version of the app, the plan is to implement native reviewing. Once that is done, adding support for reordering is likely to be the next major feature I look to implement.

7 Likes

Any plan to support the Apple Watch? It would be awesome to have a complication shoving a random leech changing every hour or so.

Another nice feature would be to have katakana madness plugin ^^

1 Like

Apple Watch support is mentioned above.

3 Likes

Ooooh thatā€™s awesome. I missed it ^^

1 Like

I just noticed the other things on this list! I canā€™t wait to see this!

P.S. Can you add Mac support after these things? I noticed this in the WWDC 2019 keynote. Mac Catalyst Overview - Apple Developer

2 Likes