[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

That depends on how it’s written. The WK devs removed an item from one of its data structures. If AlliCrab simply expects that item to always be there, without having some sort of fallback in case it’s missing, then an error like “The data couldn’t be read because it is missing.” makes a lot of sense.

Once the V2 API is out of beta and officially stable and released, app devs can avoid this by using the versioning on the API, but for now it’s all beta and subject to change at any time.

1 Like

As with everyone else, it stopped working on my iphone. I hope this can be fixed.

@cplaverty where areeee youuuuuu??

2 Likes

Hey all, workaround and warnings:

1. If you log out and back in you can still click on review and lessons to continue them but the main data page won’t update with how many, but after you start you can see the remaining in the top right like always. This works because it’s just a shell-browser that runs the HTML from the actual sight even though the data display is messed up.
  2. After logging out and back in, fix your settings again before you continue.
  3. Don’t delete the app thinking you can download again to fix things! It is currently unavailable from the app store!!

Hope it gets fixed soon!!

3 Likes

Surely caused by this because the issues started around that time and I’ve been running ios 13.1.2 since it came out. My guess is the structure of the response data changed and Allicrab is erroring trying to parse it into its own internal structure.

1 Like

As many have surmised, the recent change in the WaniKani v2 API is causing AlliCrab to fail. I was intentionally strict in the parsing of data from the API, which is causing the unfortunately vague error message when a property which was indicated to always be present is missing. (In any case, the app uses the resurrected property which was removed.)

This will require a code change to fix, and unfortunately as I have previously mentioned on this thread I am not able to release new versions of the app. So rather than leaving a broken version on the store, I have decided to remove it.

Thank you all for your support these past four years.

23 Likes

Oh man - I’m sad to hear this . But thank you so much for making the app in the first place, it was brilliant :slight_smile: ありがとうございました

5 Likes

giphy https://media0.giphy.com/media/8vUEXZA2me7vnuUvrs/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a2a33e1dc5280d804479b93208cbfe0a3b60420de&rid=giphy.gif

6 Likes

Thank you for making AlliCrab. Your app was the reason why I picked an iPhone when my android broke but now that it’s gone, I may just go back the next time I upgrade. It was the best! :heart:

6 Likes

Thank You for your hardwork on this great app.I enjoyed learning with it and am grateful for the time and effort you put in. Thank you again!

1 Like

Yes, thanks a lot @cplaverty for all your work on AlliCrab (and silly Apple!).

Now, I imagine that it must be possible (for those of us who have some programming experience) to get (a developer version of?) AlliCrab to work on our iPhone? I had been meaning to get into the iPhone app world. I guess now is the time to do that by trying to get AlliCrab to work on my phone…

2 Likes

I agree it was brilliant!! Thank you!!

Apple is pissing me off more and more…

and surely it must be possible to work something out with Wanikani…

2 Likes

It’s really worth following up on this if WK seriously wants to support its faithful 日本語 learners, dont you think? Allicrab made possible all those stolen review moments on rattling bumpy trains and buses, especially because of the ignore button!

Is there anything YOU can do??? お願い!!

1 Like

Thank you for making AlliCrab. My reviews would pile up even more if this app didn’t exist.

Now I know what I’m getting for my next phone. Android.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been doing since the last PR (added the individual review specific SRS script) was merged post-rejection. It takes a little bit of extra setup but it’s pretty well documented in the github readme.

Yes, I will definitely give it a try this weekend. Will see how it goes… :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can get the pre-3.0 version onto your device (I never updated my phone, and it took couple hours of finagling for my iPad but I eventually got it), you can use WK’s v1 API which still works.

I really hope the WK devs at least leave v1 accessible for a long time for “legacy” apps like this. Or at least another 2 years or so so I can reach level 60. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sad to hear the news, but thank you very much for all the work you put into making AlliCrab. The app has been very helpful in my day to day studies!

2 Likes

RIP Mobile AlliCrab :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for everything.
I’m one of those rarities that take things super slow ( I only do 4 new lessons a day and take a week long break from New lessons (Still do reviews) after each level up.)( just my weird system)

Anyways, I’ve logged in hundreds upon hundreds of hours on your app and was so sad to see it stop working a day ago.

I even downloaded a new app sniff

You deserve to be on the wanikani hall of fame. *salute *

4 Likes