[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard “Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic” notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.

0 Likes

ypi said... I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard "Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic" notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.
I've got a patch build 1.1.1 that fixes this positioning problem that's currently awaiting review.  Given the normal review times, I'd expect it to be released next week.
0 Likes

Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below

0 Likes

MrFujisawa said... Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below
Someone reported this behaviour with the WaniKani Double Check script. 

/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/13

Can you try doing a review session with it disabled and let me know if you are still seeing the same problem? I'll have a look as well and see if I can determine what's going on. 
0 Likes

cplaverty said...
ypi said... I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard "Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic" notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.
I've got a patch build 1.1.1 that fixes this positioning problem that's currently awaiting review.  Given the normal review times, I'd expect it to be released next week.
 Great! I really appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this app! 
0 Likes

cplaverty said...
MrFujisawa said... Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below
Someone reported this behaviour with the WaniKani Double Check script. 

/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/13

Can you try doing a review session with it disabled and let me know if you are still seeing the same problem? I'll have a look as well and see if I can determine what's going on. 
 Ah ok, I'll check the next time I have a radical
0 Likes

I really miss a feature in the app… What is called the 1x1 mode, where a kanji or vocabulary reading and meaning always show up right after each other.

The feature is seen in the “wanikani reorder ultimate” user script, and in the old iphone app’s lightning mode.

0 Likes

confirmed its the script that’s causing radicals not to display the srs status

0 Likes

Frouzich said... I really miss a feature in the app... What is called the 1x1 mode, where a kanji or vocabulary reading and meaning always show up right after each other.

The feature is seen in the "wanikani reorder ultimate" user script, and in the old iphone app's lightning mode.
Adding support for reorder scripts is something I'd like to do.  The excellent Reorder Ultimate script is what I was looking at implementing, but the interface isn't very mobile-friendly.  So there's a little bit of additional work to build a different interface before I can drop the script in, but it's definitely something I'm interested in doing.

MrFujisawa said... confirmed its the script that's causing radicals not to display the srs status
Thank you for following up on this. I haven't yet had a chance to look into the cause, but I'll take a look at the script when I can.
0 Likes

Just stopping by to say THANK YOU for making this app!! Makes the whole wanikani learning experience so much easier, and more fun! Love the design, and not to mention the ignore wrong answer button. So many typos… 

Will you be adding a progress overview for the vocab? Would be nice to get an estimate on how much is left of those as well.

Anyways, awesome job! Huge thumbs up ~~

0 Likes

silvia said... Just stopping by to say THANK YOU for making this app!! Makes the whole wanikani learning experience so much easier, and more fun! Love the design, and not to mention the ignore wrong answer button. So many typos... 

Will you be adding a progress overview for the vocab? Would be nice to get an estimate on how much is left of those as well.

Anyways, awesome job! Huge thumbs up ~~
Thanks! I'm glad you like the app. 

Since progress on vocab doesn't affect levelling, I wasn't planning on adding a status bar to the dashboard like there is for radicals and kanji. Do you mean a view like the progress lattice that is available on the site?

https://www.wanikani.com/lattice/vocabulary/status

Or did you have something else in mind?
0 Likes

The 1.1.1 update has been delayed.  Apple has rejected my submission as they have now decided, after approving two prior versions, to object to my app name.  They believe that the “app name and device name misleads users to believe that this is the official app for WaniKani.”  I appealed on the basis that I think I make clear this is an unofficial app not only in the App Store description but also on the welcome screen of the app itself.  As I expected, the appeal was denied, so I’m left with the choice of either renaming my app or never updating it again.

I’ve requested they provisionally release 1.1.1 to resolve the inconvenience that many are experiencing, and that I would submit a new binary afterward with a new name.  I expect this request to be denied, but it’s worth a try.  At this point, it is likely to be at least a week before an update can be released.  In the interim, 1.1.1 was released as a beta on TestFlight last week.  Anyone who wants to pick up the new version can mail me at keitaiwanikani@icloud.com and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list.

0 Likes

cplaverty said...They believe that the "app name and device name misleads users to believe that this is the official app for WaniKani."
They're shitting you, right? The other app on the store is literally named WaniKani, and makes no mention of being a non-official app other than saying that it's a "client app".
0 Likes

アップル、面倒くさいですね!

0 Likes

amolv said...They're shitting you, right? The other app on the store is literally named WaniKani, and makes no mention of being a non-official app other than saying that it's a "client app".
I had similar thoughts when I read the reason for the rejection.  But even if that app didn't exist, the unilateral decision they've taken that having "WaniKani" anywhere in the app name causes confusion without taking into account any steps taken to counteract any possible confusion (and, as far as I am aware, the absence of complaints) is what angers me.  The whole episode has made me absolutely livid and it's taking all I have not to lash out at the review board for how monumentally stupid I think their rejection reason is, and I'm trying so, so hard not to rant.

Frouzich said... アップル、面倒くさいですね!
そうですね! There are numerous horror stories of the vagaries and inconsistencies of the app review process, so I guess it's a rite of passage.

As expected, I have received confirmation that 1.1.1 will not be posted to the app store until I submit a new version with a different name.  It will probably be the weekend at the earliest I can get this done, so mid-February before it can be released (assuming it passes app review).  Apologies for the inconvenience.
0 Likes

cplaverty said…
The 1.1.1 update has been delayed.  Apple has rejected my submission as they have now decided, after approving two prior versions, to object to my app name.  They believe that the “app name and device name misleads users to believe that this is the official app for WaniKani.”  I appealed on the basis that I think I make clear this is an unofficial app not only in the App Store description but also on the welcome screen of the app itself.  As I expected, the appeal was denied, so I’m left with the choice of either renaming my app or never updating it again.

I’ve requested they provisionally release 1.1.1 to resolve the inconvenience that many are experiencing, and that I would submit a new binary afterward with a new name.  I expect this request to be denied, but it’s worth a try.  At this point, it is likely to be at least a week before an update can be released.  In the interim, 1.1.1 was released as a beta on TestFlight last week.  Anyone who wants to pick up the new version can mail me at keitaiwanikani@icloud.com and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list.
Sorry to hear that. My update yesterday was approved.
But I have been rejected by apple review team for at least 4 times for various reasons. 

It seems to depend strongly on the person reviewing and their mood probably. 

I know that empty feeling after app was rejected, don’t let it get you! :slight_smile:
Keep up your nose and a good work! 

Also, some shiba therapy might be helpful https://twitter.com/shibesbot .
0 Likes

haawa said...Sorry to hear that. My update yesterday was approved.
But I have been rejected by apple review team for at least 4 times for various reasons. 

It seems to depend strongly on the person reviewing and their mood probably. 

I know that empty feeling after app was rejected, don't let it get you! :)
Keep up your nose and a good work! 

Also, some shiba therapy might be helpful https://twitter.com/shibesbot .
Congrats on getting your app through.  The new update looks great!

I do definitely get the impression that there are some reviewers who are a bit more...enthusiastic than others.  Everyone I know who's listed an app in the app store has a story about a bad app review experience.  But as you say, there's no point obsessing about it because it doesn't do any good, so I've moved past it.  Onward!
0 Likes

Hi Chris,
Been using for quite a few months now and just updated to AlliCrab! 

I just wanted to say thanks for your ongoing work on the app. It always works so well for me, and then you go and add in features I never thought I needed until I have them, and then I wonder how I ever lived without them again!

Apparently, currently almost 45 hours ahead of average level up, gonna try and use that as motivation and not mess up in the morning! xD

Thanks again!

0 Likes

Also wanted to thank you for this app.  This is my official “do some Kanji before bed on my tablet” app.  Also love the upcoming review and current level display.  My only complaint is that the keyboard gets more and more unresponsive as I go through the reviews.  Stopping and restarting though fixes this.

Please keep up the good work!

0 Likes

Thanks you two!  I am always pleased to hear that people find the app useful.

miked0801 said…My only complaint is that the keyboard gets more and more unresponsive as I go through the reviews.  Stopping and restarting though fixes this.
I’ve had a couple complaints about slowness on a large batch of reviews.  My review sessions tend to be shortish (I rarely have more than 60 reviews) so I don’t experience this myself.  I don’t know whether this is the web component or something my app is doing.  You haven’t by any chance done reviews on your tablet using Safari directly?  Can you tell me if Safari did this as well?
0 Likes