(Outdated) iOS Auto updating kanji progress wallpaper

This is the error I’m getting now.image|231x500

No you need to replace it with your token. Your token is a long string of letters and numbers and dashes you can find in your wanikani account settings (the api token is specific to your account and you should keep it secret)

I have the script running without errors, but the shortcut says it can’t find the script. It’s asking if I renamed the script.
Thank you so much for helping.

Make sure the script has been renamed to Wanikani Wallpaper.

Ok so good news is that I got it working and it’s popping up on my phone wallpaper, but it’s not auto updating. I tried both of my api tokens, forced an update by removing the //, and even tried turning my phone on and off. Still nothing has changed.

You need to go into “automations” in shortcuts, click “+” in the top right, click personal automation, click app, pick your wanikani app and set it to run the shortcut on close.

It doesn’t work with the website so you need to use tsurukame or another app.

I having a similar problem to this, when I run it nothing happens. When I uncomment the override line I get this error.

That explanation was kind of confusing. I don’t see personal automation after clicking +.
Sorry, I’m technically inept…

Is there somerhing like this for andriod?

For those having trouble with setup, here’s a cleaner version:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/de3e9ec2f6244b4fa608e4564a15d517

To add the shortcut:
1: click the link (it should open in shortcuts)
2: scroll to the bottom and click “add untrusted shortcut”
3: it should ask you for your wanikani api token, get it from the website and paste it in (Do NOT click the green plus on the left. Just paste the token in)
4: click done

Once the shortcut is added, you can set up the auto reloading like so:

1: click the automation tab in the shortcuts app
2: click the plus in the upper right hand corner
3: click “personal automation” (this may not appear if you do not have a home set up through apple. If it doesn’t ask then it should default to personal and you can continue)
4: select “App” from the available options
5: choose your app and select “is closed”
6: click add action
7: search for “run shortcut” and select the new shortcut
8: click next, then done

Hope this newer version is simpler to set up, and the instructions are fully clear

I’ve posted new instructions, try those

I’ve posted new instructions. Try those

Sorry, that’ll have to be up to someone else unfortunately. This is pretty much using specific tricks for iOS and while it’s probably possible in android I don’t have an android device to mess with. Feel free to dig through the code if you’re up to the challenge but it will require substantial modification and idk how even to set wallpapers and run on app close on android

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Im not good enough at coding for that haha.

I’ve tried the old instructions and the new ones. Still doesn’t do anything. Guess it just doesn’t work on my iPhone 8.

What iOS version do you have? This will likely only work for iOS 14 (possibly 14.7)

I’m using 14.7.1, so newest update.

When you say not working, can you describe what’s wrong? Is the shortcut working when run manually?

Went to make a video of me running it (and it not doing anything) and it magically started working. Don’t know why. I didn’t change anything! :joy::hugs:

1 Like

Hi does this shortcut still works on ios 15 … I cant make it work.