Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

Oh nice catch. I’ll reach out to bison to see if that’s what they meant.

yes. You think 645 books enough? Come on.

If you are so inclined though, more written reviews are another great way to contribute! :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

When looking at Yotsubato, I saw that we now have a MORE INFORMATION group, and I think that it should be similar to the ‘Where to find’ group, in how to add stuff. This would allow other users to share resources tied to the different books.

For example, Yotsubato has the Yotsuba Anki deck and the Wanikani book club vocab sheet there.
I personally make vocab sheets/Anki decks for the books I read (only the words I didn’t know (cuz no one has time to do a full-vocab sheet of a novel unless it’s a program doing it for you), but that’s still useful I think for people who want to read the book I think).

1 Like

I agree at some point I should definitely allow users to add more links. The only issue is that the ‘more information’ links will probably need a bit more moderation, otherwise for something like よつばと!with about a 1000 different anki decks, it’d be out of control :slight_smile:

With regards to sharing your personal vocab sheets and anki decks, I love the thought! Again though, sharing needs to have some structure otherwise it becomes not very useful. The wanikani book clubs, for instance, frequently encounter issues with different editions having different page #s and various other issues with regards to the shared vocab sheet, which, if left without any structure, would be confusing and frustrating.

So, I’d say hold onto those vocab sheets for now - I may ask for them later to see if I could thoughtfully incorporate them into the site! They sound like they could be valuable!

2 Likes

To be clear too - I may just let loose on the more information links at some point and see how it goes as well! I just would have to watch it and moderate a little, which I don’t have time to do right now.

Edit: As you can see, I’m still thinking through all of this in real time :sweat_smile:, but do know that it’s in the roadmap, just probably not immediately.

3 Likes

If you don’t have any moderation you’re going to end up with illegal websites being linked.

3 Likes

Right - there’d have to be some minimum level of moderation, which I don’t want to do right now. Question in my mind is how much ‘quality’ moderation there’d need to be too.

Regardless, it’s a much bigger potential can of worms than the ‘where to find’ links.

2 Likes

couldn’t that same issue come up with the “Where to buy section”? or is it set that only certain sites can be shared on it. I’ve only tried listing Amazon links.

You could have a ranking system with the information links, so people could flag sus things, and then you only have to moderate flagged items. like, on most websites, like reddit, you can post whatever in a group (most don’t have moderators checking all posts) but other members of the community and report/flag irrelevant posts

1 Like

I don’t have an account, so I have no idea. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yep! I auto parse the url for all the major booksellers / urls I expect. If it’s a url I can’t parse than I get a notification to approve it. It does require some minimum moderation like I said, but not much.

And totally agreed that we can have a flagging system and some degree of self moderation… and I will probably end up doing that eventually! It just takes a bit more work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bug report!
I have changed the status of a book from owned to finished, but the date didn’t change on the page.

(I just changed the status, so it should say May 29th)

3 Likes

Fixed! Phew, we wouldn’t want anyone thinking you’d finished it on the 15th would we.

Good catch. Btw I wander into your library while doing this and I’m sorry it’s so slow :sweat_smile:

Will be adding pagination for sure this upcoming week.

2 Likes

How can I get sure that’s not a virus mane?Will you be reposeful for this?

I wish I could rate more books… I guess I have to start reading moar and faster. :thinking:

Also, @sweetbeems I hope you don’t mind me linking to some more detailed reviews I posted here on the forum in the review section on Natively!

3 Likes

Yes

Don’t mind at all! I actually noticed that and checked to see if I might possibly copy paste them on platform, but you use a lot of the nice WK forum features (spoilers, collapsed text…) which I’ll eventually need to copy at some point. So, continue on :slight_smile:

1 Like

That, too, yes. Also, the review feature on Natively doesn’t feel like a place to post a half-mile review; I’d rather post a concise review to give a broad impression of the book and its difficulty, and link to a more detailed one on the forum.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. I do want Natively to be a place where you can post those half-mile long reviews as well. But yes, the current review feature isn’t very accommodating for that purpose - the popup is small and there’s no text formatting utilities. You’ve inspired me though to also think on if there should be a real difference between a concise review vs an in-depth long one. I’m not sure if other sites make a significant difference, I’ll have to poke around.

3 Likes

If you support standard markdown (hopefully through a free open source library) and spoiler tags you’re basically there.

3 Likes

Uh, I just noticed that I received a survey about Natively a few days ago, but it went into spam. (I guess it was sent to a bunch of people so that might be the reason?)
Edit: removed the email itself since it’s not relevant.

1 Like

Heh no that email was just sent to you… wanted to get your thoughts before I sent to more people :sweat_smile:

Ugh, disappointing it went to spam. I still haven’t received any spam complaints from my provider, so I’m hoping it’s just you. I’m guessing maybe your google account didn’t like that auto email I sent on every book addition for you? I’ve stopped sending those emails for people who add lots of books in hopes this doesn’t happen… :confused:

1 Like

Ah sorry about posting that, then :sweat_smile:
I’m too tired at the moment to get a clear answer, but I’ll answer tomorrow.
If anyone knows why gmail is so aggressive with some “spam” filtering (but not with everything somehow), I’d love to know.

1 Like