Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

I like that :slight_smile:. I really need to add difficulty filters to the libraries too. Perhaps I’ll split the sort, but probably not until it does get out of control.

Yeah, I agree that could be nice. Maybe just a boolean on books < 50 pgs. Tbh, I have a whole laundry list of little search things I want to add that would be very useful (furigana filter, ‘where to find’ filter, populate more ‘where to find’ urls, amazon audible books… etc). I think I’ll do these things pretty soon, we’ll see.

Also! @seanblue @chrisosaurus I updated the styles so they always have the same background and, in general, are more consistent. Do note that I still am working on the profile page, but the book page and book search pages should be good now. Let me know what you think!

2 Likes

Yep you can! If you go to My Gradings you can delete or edit any of your comparisons. I will say though, after reading your review, I wouldn’t worry too much about it! Remember, I was asking you about comparisons against the first volume, not the later ones. Of course, if you do think you made mistakes, go for it. I just appreciate you’re so thoughtful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks a bit nicer. Still needs work I think, but I’ll think on it for a few days and see if I can explain what feels off.

Also, you should work on making the edit buttons more consistent. Just on the book page itself, there are three different versions.

2 Likes

Heh, yeah standardization of those sorts of things will slowly come with time. I will be standardizing on the top left one.

I do agree I don’t think it’s perfect. The top of the book page & the left hand sidebar for the book search filters, I don’t think I’m fully convinced by. However, I’m not entirely sure how to fix either.

I am really excited for the new profiles though (see below). And the standardization of styles, independent of any particular page design, was the right call and makes things easier going forward. Regardless, if you do have more thoughts, let me know :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t believe it never occurred to me to check there :woman_facepalming: I was looking all over the page for the book itself. Thank you!

FWIW The first volume I do remember being quite easy, but I suspect some of that was influenced by having just watched the movie version right before reading it.

2 Likes

I come yet again with a stupid question. Is there a way to set a book as “reading” if you finished it before? And similarly, how do I mark re-read?

2 Likes

Sadly I think it doesn’t support re-reads currently, at least based on this post

3 Likes

Ah, nevermind, then. I should have used the search button…

(By the way, you do not need to include a link to the post as well; just clicking on the arrow from the quote box jumps to the relevant post)

2 Likes

I just did some gradings, and I was thinking how convenient it would be if we could skip gradings without formally skipping them if that makes sense. Basically, skipping them adds them to the skip list (which is semi-permanent and easy to forget about), but I just want more flexibility in choosing which comparisons to actually grade as part of the official 6 gradings. Something as basic as left and right arrows to quickly cycle through the options would be great.

Also, I think there’s a flaw in the grading system right now, which is that if a book is so far from where it should be, there may be no reasonable way to correct it. I just finished the first volume of まちカドまぞく, which current has a difficulty level of 39. This is way above where it should be (probably low 30s), but since the next closest manga I’ve read is level 32 and I’ve only read a few books within its range, I was only given one comparison: 魔法少女育成計画 (level 35). I rated まちカドまぞく as the easier of the two, so maybe that alone will drop the difficulty enough to open up additional comparisons (it hasn’t yet and I don’t know how frequently the relative difficulties are updated). But there are even a few manga in the 30-32 range that I would probably say are about the same difficulty if I was given the option. Is there any way right now to deal with this type of situation?

9 Likes

Yeah I agree this would be nice. I’ve thought about adding a delay mechanism which would simply push it to the end of the queue rather than a permanent skip. I’m just a bit wary of adding another button. If I altered the skip options (i’m talking about the ‘gears’ icon) a little bit to allow for more functions, perhaps I could add a ‘delay’ there. I’ll think on it.

The cycling you propose would be nice, but I think a bit complicated to implement.

Unfortunately, these sorts of situations are usually resolved by more gradings. I know, it’s a little frustrating that it’s not moving down enough for you to make those additional comparisons and I would encourage you to write a quick review saying you think it’s graded too high. But there are potential issues if I do move it down without gradings - namely, other book grades which depend on comparisons with that book then start to look wrong too.

As for simply opening up comparisons more at higher levels (maybe you could compare books 8 levels apart for level 30 books), I could think about adding it. But I am trying to focus on other things right now :confused:

All that being said, I’ll take a look at the possible ramifications of simply moving down that book a few notches. My temporary level estimator mechanism (this is what I use to estimate levels for newly added books from their initial set of grades) does indicate that this should be lvl 36 rather than 39… a significantly larger difference than other books on the site. I’ll let you know what I decide.

Really appreciate your thoughtfulness as always! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I thought you might say that. Unfortunately, I think it’ll be a while before there are enough ratings for niche manga like this. :sweat_smile: (Such is the nature of half the manga I read being 4-koma Manga Time Kirara series.)

Yes, for some reason Ditto said the manga was basically harder than a ton of mid-30s level novels, which is what I think increased the difficulty score. Though interesting it was at 38 a few weeks ago, so something else pushed it up to 39.

Would it make sense for the “official gradings” that the site proposes to have a different search range from the “extra gradings”? Like maybe the official gradings is limited to 5, but the extra gradings is limited to 10? I’m going under the assumption that the extra gradings never count towards the difficulty ratings (in the current system), but I know that it’s possible that assumption is wrong. (i.e. is the current algorithm limited to the first 6 no matter where they come from, or is there a backend distinction between the proposed and extra gradings?) As you know, I just want to compare All The Things™, so I’d be happy comparing まちカドまぞく to a few other manga even if they won’t impact the difficulty score until the algorithm is revamped.

3 Likes

Yes, people treat the comparisons between books / mangas differently, which can add variations. Thankfully, most people are comparing like things at the lower levels, but in this difficulty range, you do find more manga to novel comparisons.

You know, that probably makes sense. Granted, it could potentially generate a lot of comparisons for some folks, but they are extra gradings so why not! :laughing:

4 Likes

I find myself looking through difficulty gradings on book pages fairly often. Sometimes I see my own grading and think that I might want to change what I put. It would be really convenient if we could edit (or delete) our gradings directly from the book page. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have a small complaint about marking a book as finished. When I don’t bother marking a book as started, it’s literally one click to set everything. By giving it a rating (clicking how many stars on the book page) it does the following:

• Sets the number of stars
  • Sets the finished date to today
  • Sets the number of pages read to all pages

However, when I have already marked a book as started, I have to do all of those things manually. This is a bit annoying and discourages me from marking books as started in the first place. I understand why you may not want to assume choosing the number of stars on a started books means it is done, but perhaps a little prompt would be good? As in, if the book is started and you click the number of starts on the book page, prompt to ask if the book is finished, and if the user picks yes set the finished date to today and set the number of pages read to all pages automatically. Doing something similar from the library page would also be nice.

3 Likes

you know, that’s an elegant solution. I could just have a small popover below prompting that after you select the stars. I was struggling to figure out a quick way to allow finishing a book… I like that.

Definitely on the todo list as a quick win :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wish I had caught up on this thread before I graded this morning!

I just finished 娘じゃなくて私が好きなの!?, which I think was level 24 when I stated, which I thought was a little low (that’s right in there with 青い鳥・つばさ文庫 books). I was surprised to see my ratings were mostly books I had read months back – a mixture of graded readers and children’s books – rather than what I’d been reading recently.

Next time I grade something, I’ll remember to skip any of those “pointless” comparisons.

Still loving the site :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

You can go to the My Gradings section from the menu and delete the gradings you just did if you want to redo them for different books.

4 Likes

Yeah, choosing which comparisons to prioritize isn’t a totally easy task! Right now, it prioritizes by:

1. book type (manga vs manga comparisons prioritized over manga vs novel)
  2. difference in level (two lvl 23 books prioritized over lvl 23 vs lvl 24)

All of the comparisons need to be within 5 levels of each other too. This does lead to some situations where you might not get the comparisons you want for your 6 ‘primary’ comparisons, but yeah… like @seanblue mentioned, you can always skip. Not a perfect system, but I think it’s relatively straightforward for the time being. A delay mechanism like @seanblue was mentioning certainly could help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Found a bug in the review formatting. For some reason, newlines are ignored unless there are two in a row. I would expect one newline to show a small gap between lines, and two or more newlines to show a larger gap (but 2 newlines should be the same as 3+ newlines). See what Discourse does for comparison.

Line one
Line two after single newline

Line one

Line two after multiple newlines

On a side note, I’m kind of disappointed that I can’t put a review for a book I haven’t rated. I’m reading a short story collection and wanted to add individual ratings for each story as I go. But I can’t submit the review without an overall rating, which I won’t give until I finish the whole book.

1 Like

I feel like this is part of this:

Might be something to do with an out of the box parser having a bug under the hood?

1 Like