Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

You know that’s a good call. Another thing i’ve been thinking for that grading ui is a hover over showing a bit more info on the books (cover photo, lvl, reviews aggregate…). Those gradings are the only way right now to view recommendations for similar books, so should make it a bit more browsable

Edit: Also, that bug with duplicate activities is now fixed! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This might be a lot, but I was wondering if having a new reading activity (by updating pages read on a book) could automatically trigger days read on my calendar.

That way I don’t have to click on my calendar every day. Also would be awesome to see my activity for that particular day when I click on the calendar.

1 Like

I actually originally planned to do that, but after more thought, I decided against it as the default behavior. A lot of people don’t keep track of their days read and / or don’t come on every time they read. Automatically making every update mark a day read (when someone may not have read that day or may have read previous days) leads to a lot of faulty data… which is worse than less data.

So, I’m going to keep this as the default option. At some point I may make a setting which allows you to turn on that automatic marking, but probably not for a little while. I agree though, that’d be my preferred approach too!

Yeah, I’d love to do a hover over… too many things. Really appreciate this feedback, keep it coming - helps figure out what to do!

4 Likes

+1 this would be my concern.
I often read at night and then might mark the progress the next morning, or only mark book progress every few days.

2 Likes

Would love to have that option!

I was using Notion/Calendar to record my reading progress, but it was easier to record progress with your website because it’s faster to save the pages read than typing it out. So it can fully replace my previous workflow if there were any kind of activity summary or stats, but definitely take your time!

2 Likes

Really cool feature for the library page would be if we could multi-select lists. I often find myself looking at Owned and Wish List to see what books I might read soon, but right now I have to look at them one at a time. I would suggest either:

1. Clicking a list simply selects or deselects that list without deselecting the previously selected list. This would require extra logic to make sure you can’t select zero lists (if that matters) and also so that selecting All does deselect the previously selected lists (unless you want to remove All entirely and just default the page to all lists being selected).
  2. If you want less change, you could allow Ctrl+Click only for multi-select without changing the behavior of Click. This is good in that it doesn’t change existing behavior that users may be accustomed to, but it also makes it more complicated. Also, it wouldn’t work on mobile (though maybe that could be resolved via checkboxes or something).

Maybe it’s not a big enough use case to implement, but I think it would be nice. I’m curious if others would also like something like this.

2 Likes

I am tracking my reading activity in my journal, but I’d love being able to track it on Natively, especially if there are some more stats! But only being able to track it on the day itself is holding me back atm. If I could add activity retro-actively that would be awesome.

2 Likes

It’d actually be very easy to just change to checkboxes and I’m not sure there’s a reason why they shouldn’t be. I think I just followed what AniList did, so I’ll probably change it… no problem.

For sure… I want you to be able to track on Natively! I know you’ve asked me about that before and it’s a good suggestion, still in my plans. I’ll admit updates have slowed down a little bit with my recent move to Korea, but it’s coming!! I’ll ping you when it does :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something of an odd bug I noticed. I saw @Hantsuki was listed as ‘starting’ 絶叫学級 earlier today after reading several pages of it and thought, “huh, odd” but figured it might have just been an event timing issue. Then later today I updated one of my own books and the ‘started’ message is still listed as the most recent item:

then I checked Hantsuki’s page and saw this:

Seems something may be stuck.

3 Likes

I saw that too when I added a new book just a moment ago but didn’t think much of it. I actually just considered deleting the update :sweat_smile:
Thanks for mentioning it!

3 Likes

@Hantsuki @pocketcat ah yea I’ve seen this bug before I think. Checking it out it looks like a timezone issue as I suspected. Hantsuki, you manually marked your start date as March 7th and therefore the activity was pegged to 12AM on March 7th… but all the activities are still coming in on US Eastern Time.

This should be resolved when I add timezone management to your user profile… coming soon hopefully! Can certainly delete the activity if you’d like but then it’s also deleted from your personal feed. It’s not big deal if you let it hang for now… it will eventually catch up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Loved the site. I’ll for sure use it to find mangas on my level.
As a suggestion, I think “Owned” should be a different thing from “reading”, “finished”, “paused”, “droped” and so on, as I can own a manga and be reading it.

3 Likes

This is a reasonable take and I may build support for it at some point (you aren’t the first to request it). I personally don’t find myself needing that information which is why I haven’t prioritized (there’s lots to do!), but I’ll mark you down as another vote for that feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Owned” just means 積読 in this context. As in you own the book but haven’t read it yet. It’s not meant to be used for every book you own. Can you think of a name other than “Owned” that would remove this confusion? It might help if the name was clearer.

Put me down as a vote against changing how Owned works. To me it should absolutely be treated the same as Reading, Wish List, etc.

7 Likes

Great concept, and I’ve signed up for it. It’s been interesting to look up the things I’ve tried (and mostly struggled) to read.

I know the focus is on books but it would be great if you could add video games as well. JRPGs are a huge reason I started to study Japanese and I often wonder if certain games are accessible for my skill level in the same way I do manga and light novels.

1 Like

Goodreads have ownership as a separate dimension to reading state.

So each book can be owned/not-owned, and then read/reading/want-to-read.

I’ve used this in the past to track my book collection.

I’m not particularly fussed how it gets implemented here, just thought I’d mention how another major site deals with it (compared with learnnatively/bookmeter using 積読 as you said).

I do like having a distinction between 積読 and 読みたい本.

Side note: your avatar change took me a while to process, I kept being stuck on “Seanblue… avatar doesn’t compute”. I resolved it by looking up thread and confirming it was indeed you and wasn’t just my brain mixing people up. Love the blue hair colour.

6 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about this word. As @chrisosaurus mentioned, I also used it like that on goodreads.
But I honestly don’t mind either way, now that I understand what it means. But I would be good to change the term because it might confuse more people.

3 Likes

@koudani that’s a good point about the terminology, 積読 is probably better… but also less known for english speakers. And yeah, @chrisosaurus some tracking websites do split it out (like goodreads) and some don’t (AniList)… no consensus :slight_smile:. But like @seanblue and the general sentiment here, outside of potential terminology confusion, I think the current system works pretty well.

Eventually may add that separate ‘owned’ boolean like I originally said, but not high priority.

Yes I’d love to do videogames! But it’s after a few things unfortunately, so probably will be a while.

3 Likes

That’s awesome to know that games are on the roadmap at the very least!

2 Likes