Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

Perhaps. Single blank lines like this should definitely work, so hopefully it can be fixed.

Isn’t this the normal (/original) behaviour for markdown parsing?

At least by the original markdown ‘spec’ I think this behaviour is correct:

Although many ‘markdown’ editors/parsers today don’t obey this, which often leads to confusion >.>

If you want a hard line break I thin you either need to insert two new lines (a blank line between), have 2 trailing spaces at the end of a line, or use something like a list to format. There might be other options depending on the exact ‘markdown’ used (e.g. some support a trailing backslash).

I think the intent of this rule was to be consistent with html in that it ignores soft line breaks.

EDIT: added mention of new commonmark and perceived intent. Tidying up. Adding backslash mention.

5 Likes

Well if that’s the official spec that’s really stupid. There’s a really good use case for doing smaller line breaks like Discourse supports. But I guess if that’s the way it works I might have to use bullet points instead.

It looks like the two space thing does work on Natively, so I guess I could use that.

2 Likes

Fair, I think Markdown was trying to be a very thin sugar for generating HTML, so tried to defer to HTML’s handling of a bunch of things - like how HTML ignores soft newlines.

But it does make it kind of weird as we have started using Markdown as a general text format, even in places where HTML doesn’t really cross the user’s mind, leading to this kind of confusion.
Combined with ‘every’ implementation doing a few things differently, it is just an inconsistent mess.

Other little things often annoy me, like lists needing to have a blank line before them.

1 Like

unfortunately @chrisosaurus is correct - this is a part of the spec and the out-of-the-box parser i’m using does abide by that rule. I agree though that it’s non-intuitive and I wish I could’ve found something that parsed it like your describing @seanblue… but unfortunately the simplest & most flexible parser I found (markdown-to-jsx) really seemed the best solution for my purposes. It allowed me to build the spoiler mechanism and potentially more mechanisms later on (such as hide details, in site links… etc) that seemed to be a nightmare with other parsers.

I know it’s a little bit of a bummer and perhaps I can figure out a better solution later on… but it’s not an easy fix :confused:

Edit: To be clear, there were parsers that parsed it the way you’d like @seanblue… but adding additional feature to those parsers did not seem easy.

4 Likes

Hmm… I could think on that. I think it’s a bit of a strange use case to showcase a review without a top level rating (do other sites do that?)… but perhaps.

Yeah, I don’t disagree per se. It was just an observation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may want to add some styles for tables in reviews. Markdown has a table feature, but right now it looks terrible.

For a book with short stories I put the scores in a bullet list.

But I’m thinking a table might look nicer if formatted. But right now it looks like this:

For reference, here’s what the table looks like on Discourse:

Basically thick horizontal line after the header row and thinner lines after all the other rows, plus a little bit of padding between columns.

Source for reference:

|Story|Rating|
|-|-|
| 殺人出産 | 4/5 |
| トリプル | 2/5 |
| 清潔な結婚 | 3/5 |
| 余命 | 4/5 |
2 Likes
Story Rating
殺人出産 4/5
トリプル 2/5
清潔な結婚 3/5
余命 4/5

We can also see what it looks like on these forums for another reference point.

1 Like

That’s what my third picture showed, though in dark mode. Not sure why I didn’t just put it in the post directly like you did. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@seanblue @chrisosaurus thanks for the callout! I enabled tables and styled similarly to discourse… I’m not going to add dedicated support for it (no button at the top of the input box), but if you know the syntax you’ll be able to format it :slight_smile:

Here’s the output:
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 10.02.14 AM

For context on the markdown, by default I disallow all html elements / markdown elements except for ones I specify. You’ll still find some elements you might expect - just let me know and I’ll enable and style them.

2 Likes

Looks great, thanks!

2 Likes

Small bug with gradings. Given series A and B, if I grade series A book 3 against series B, I cannot grade another book in series A against series B as well, which I believe is by design. However, if I skip the grading for series A book 3 against series B, I can still grade another book in series A against series B. Shouldn’t it be skipped for all of series A at this point?

2 Likes

I wrote a review for Kiki’s Delivery Service yesterday and today it’s gone? Along with my rating…

Not sure if it is removed or some data issue?

Also, it would be great if there could be private reviews, so I can keep it as a draft or only for reviewing on my own thoughts in the future.

3 Likes

Oh - thanks for the catch. I’ll investigate.

Oh no! You didn’t intend to delete your review? I’m really sorry… it’s not in our database :frowning: :cry:. Assuming you’re Yui, I can see you generated a review activity at 5:20 AM EST this morning and then it was deleted at 9:14 AM EST… which is when I assume your review was deleted.

Does that time ring any bells? Are you sure you didn’t accidentally delete the review and / or delete the book from your library? Any information you can think of would really help diagnose the issue… I haven’t seen any other reviews being deleted so I don’t think there’s an automated process that are deleting the review. Regardless, I will investigate this further.

I did notice that my new review ui doesn’t have a double confirmation when you’re deleting a review, which it should. I’ll double check my prevention mechanisms for accidentally deleting a review.

Again, sorry that happened! :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes, that is my username.

I remember editing my review two times to correct some typos and grammar mistakes, but I don’t remember deleting the review.

Thanks for the quick response!

2 Likes

Hello, I was wondering if there is a better way to show my daily reading progress.

This is what I currently share:

A heatmap would be great, but it would also be fun to show the page / % read, something similar to wanikani stats.

3 Likes

Agreed and thanks for the link to the wkstats site!

I’m actually in the process of overhauling the profile pages currently which includes the activity section. I agree, I can do a lot of cool stuff there and right now it’s severely lacking… it’s the next thing on my list for a reason!

3 Likes

This is totally a curiosity point for me, but what (if any) limit are you setting on retrieving reviews upon loading a user’s reviews page? I’ve noticed mine takes a bit to load and I have 63 reviews at the moment. The lag appears to be https://learnnatively.com/profile-review-api/cat/?book= which took 2.58 seconds on my last load according to the inspector.

3 Likes

@pocketcat I know I’m sorry… those will be paginated in the new UI. It’s just dragging on longer than I wanted.

I’ll try to put a quick fix tonight for you.

2 Likes