Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

Goodreads have ownership as a separate dimension to reading state.

So each book can be owned/not-owned, and then read/reading/want-to-read.

I’ve used this in the past to track my book collection.

I’m not particularly fussed how it gets implemented here, just thought I’d mention how another major site deals with it (compared with learnnatively/bookmeter using 積読 as you said).

I do like having a distinction between 積読 and 読みたい本.

Side note: your avatar change took me a while to process, I kept being stuck on “Seanblue… avatar doesn’t compute”. I resolved it by looking up thread and confirming it was indeed you and wasn’t just my brain mixing people up. Love the blue hair colour.

6 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about this word. As @chrisosaurus mentioned, I also used it like that on goodreads.
But I honestly don’t mind either way, now that I understand what it means. But I would be good to change the term because it might confuse more people.

3 Likes

@koudani that’s a good point about the terminology, 積読 is probably better… but also less known for english speakers. And yeah, @chrisosaurus some tracking websites do split it out (like goodreads) and some don’t (AniList)… no consensus :slight_smile:. But like @seanblue and the general sentiment here, outside of potential terminology confusion, I think the current system works pretty well.

Eventually may add that separate ‘owned’ boolean like I originally said, but not high priority.

Yes I’d love to do videogames! But it’s after a few things unfortunately, so probably will be a while.

3 Likes

That’s awesome to know that games are on the roadmap at the very least!

2 Likes

In the meanwhile, I would recommend checking out:

There’s some VN’s and RPG’s listed there.

4 Likes

PRODUCT UPDATE

Again, this sprint took longer than anticipated, as I moved to Korea :sweat_smile:, but very excited for the profile photo updates! I have had a good work rhythm the past few weeks, so hopefully that continues. :slight_smile:

User Profile Style Updates

The user profile styling has been completely overhauled to match the rest of the site. You can also now add profile photos along with markdown on your ‘about me’!

Settings Form overhauled, Uploading user profiles

The user settings form has been overhauled too. It now allows you to build out your profile more fully, such as markdown for about me and profile photos. I will continue to add setting here as I see fit (like timezone preference)

Of course, you can now upload your profile & banner photos here. Do note the ideal dimensions as your photo will be automatically cropped to that ratio.

Improved server infrastructure

While this isn’t the sexiest update, I improved some redundancy to the servers which should make them more reliable. We had a brief outage last month (6 hours), which shouldn’t ever happen again.

Upcoming

For this sprint, I’ll be focusing on stats, hopefully coming soon!

• Add some graphs for the stats page / better stats

And just as an aside, I want to just commend everyone continuing to request books! We’re now at over 21,000 books spanning across 3121 unique series!! So amazing xD

Thanks! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Never say never. Maybe AWS will roll over some afternoon taking Cloudfront with it. :upside_down_face:

But I also see you added pagination for reviews, yay! :tada:

2 Likes

This is true. However, if that happens, issues on Natively should be the least of your concerns… :joy:

2 Likes

Is there any reason for the max width on the website URL? There’s plenty of space…

Time to update the title of this topic then!

5 Likes

Well, it’s technically still accurate.

You’re hoping for “over 9000”? :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Good catch, fixed!

Indeed :joy: :joy:. I updated to ‘Over 8000’ as that’s how many books are no longer temporary. It’s always a bit difficult to choose which aggregate number to use. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That is the original Japanese line from DBZ too!

7 Likes

Minor bug(?)/UI report: On the page of someone who is not following me I am presented with the option to have them “Stop following me”:

Lucy is not one of my followers on the site so there’s no reason I should be getting this prompt.

3 Likes

I can start following you so you can stop me if you like :joy:

10 Likes

That’s a good callout. Will fix.

Oh no poor lucy :joy:. Maybe @pocketcat is just overly wary of other cat lovers on the site.

2 Likes

I think I mentioned this before, but please don’t capture Alt+Arrow for navigating profile sections. I know it’s intended for Arrow keys alone, but since you’re not excluding this behavior when the Alt key is pressed it’s overriding the browser back/forward behavior.

Referring to:

4 Likes

Good call, I will fix that today too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the email welcome, adding my books, and the fun site!

Three things:

1. Is it always the case that 外伝 are not included as part of a series? For 7SEEDS, at least (not really spoilers but just in case–>) the 外伝 is an epilogue-esque continuation directly from volume 35. I’m not invested in it needing to be included, I’m just curious.

2. Is it possible to choose to make percentage the default when I’m putting in book progress?

3. For ミステリークロック, the one that got added to the site is the short story of that name, but the most recent book in the series, also titled ミステリークロック, is four stories gathered together. (here)

3 Likes

Hey @valkow! Really appreciate all the gradings and book requests you’ve been doing! Happy you like the site :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Unfortunately, it’s not totally consistent. I think I’d prefer them not to be, as the libraries list how many volumes are in a series and I think people would like to see if they’ve ‘finished’ a series not including the spinoffs. However, most of the series groupings on the site are based off what amazon does… which is not consistent.

Not right now, no. Perhaps in the future, although I do only store the page number. I could try to make it smarter as I know a lot (maybe most?) people are using e-books, making page number a pain. I can think about it.

Ugh, this is confusing then. If you click on the ‘Kindle’ format for your link you get this page which links to a 5 book series. Are you saying in the edition you linked it has all those books together?

4 Likes