Introducing Natively - A free community book sharing site with over 900 popular books graded by difficulty

Even comparing a physical book to an ebook version! Ultimately, there is quite a lot of fuzziness purely on how you consume the media, but I think it’s ok for the most part as you have quite a bit of fuzziness just in people’s perceptions. As long as it’s not too significant and the comparisons you’re doing generally make sense… which is where I definitely draw the line between comparing audio only & text.

In the end, it is all valuable data to collect. Even if we find that VN to novel comparisons are really noisy, collecting those comparisons and figuring that out would still be very valuable.

Right! Although, I will admit that my hope is to move into anime in the beginning of the new year… and I certainly won’t have ‘finished’ books by then. I’m sure we’ll be discussing it a bit around then and I’ll see what people think.

4 Likes

Hopefully I still remember which anime I found easier and harder by then! It’ll have been nearly a year since I started watching Japanese subbed anime at that point!

3 Likes

I dunno, I think that’s a step too far. Fundamentally, your interaction with the language in a visual novel is meant to be through reading; I see the voice acting more as a bonus aid than the main focus. I’d consider anime the reverse. There are also plenty that are totally or largely unvoiced. If forced to make a singular assumption, they’re certainly always going to have reading, but some won’t have listening at all.

Further, I think for the purposes of difficulty assessment, anime or any other listening includes issues of speed and keeping up with something on its own terms, where visual novels pause line by line. Moving at the user’s pace is, to me, a really crucial element for grouping VNs, if they are to be grouped with anything, with other media where you do the same.

6 Likes

Another suggestion to expand on this, if we could compare by year, that could be cool. :slight_smile: To see how much we read in previous years vs current year.

7 Likes

After some further reflection (and some users requesting it), I’ve deleted the initial backfill for days read. These were days that were automatically marked as ‘read’ based on the date finished for your books. Some users understandably just aren’t interested in marking them.

If you would like me to reinstate your backfill, please let me know! Going forward, days read must be manually marked… there won’t be any automatic processes that mark them.

And for those of you who have already gone back and marked your days read manually, don’t worry. I only deleted the backfill for days read marked before the oldest day read you marked manually. I also inspected it to make sure it looked right.

As a side note, I’m happy to see people going back and marking their days read! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The gradings page (Login | Natively - Learn through native resources) doesn’t show the top navigation links for some reason.

2 Likes

yikes! Thanks for letting me know. Strangely didn’t hit my error alerting system, which it should…

2 Likes

That bug should be fixed.

This bug is also fixed @pocketcat @chrisosaurus. Using the dialog will generate the ‘pages read’ activity. I still have to backfill and add those reading sessions that were missed because of this, so for people that did hit this bug, your recent ‘pages read’ will be slightly off until I do that backfill.

3 Likes

FYI I got prompted about cookies again and as before I couldn’t customize them so I had to decline them entirely.

Also, random question. Do you plan to add a dark theme at some point? I’m using the website on my phone with my lights off right now, wishing the site wasn’t so bright!

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. I’m going to be switching away from that cookie consent banner… even though I’d prefer to not waste time on it. It’s just bad :frowning:

Yes, I’d love to… it annoys me too! Not sure when I’ll be inspired to do it, but perhaps I’ll figure something out with the rebranding. It should be in the next couple months at the very least.

2 Likes

I have a small suggestion. Right now, the only way I know how to find the request a book link is to search for something that doesn’t exist.

Maybe there’s a better way, but at the very least I’d recommend putting it in the footer menu as well.

Also, just a nitpick, but “request book” feels more accurate to me than “add book”.

7 Likes

I think that probably makes sense. I don’t want it shown too prominently except for the end of search results, but I do know that some people just do not notice that button… as their mind simply sees ‘no results’ and nothing else. In the footer would be a nice secondary option for people who miss the first button.

Right, I’ve gone back and forth on this, but don’t have a terribly strong opinion. I went with ‘add’ simply because I want people to think they aren’t limited and will be able to add whatever book they want, which is almost always true. ‘Request book’ is probably more accurate, you’re correct, but may suggest a more limited ability.

Of course, as I write that all out, I’m now favoring ‘request book’ again like yourself. I’ll probably to switch it back :grin:

5 Likes

A mid-sprint update: the new homepage is live!

As a result, you’ll notice that the fonts have been updated everywhere which means there will be slight misformatting in certain spots. I ask you to bear with me for this change… it’ll take a little while to get right (I’m in the process of updating styles for a lot of webpages), but I think it’ll be great on the other side :slight_smile:

If you have any questions or concerns, do let me know.

4 Likes

On the front page, when selecting the japanese level, I can scroll past N1+ there’s a blank option that gives no book.

2 Likes

hah, you’re so right! Will fix, thank you.

1 Like

Today I noticed the new artwork in the footer, the person reading a book with moon in the background, wow that’s stunning!

1 Like

I’m so glad you like it! I agree, it’s great isn’t it? All compliments to Andrei Moldovan, the designer who I’m working with. He’s inspired :slight_smile:

1 Like