Introducing Natively - A free community book sharing site with over 900 popular books graded by difficulty

In my view, it’s better to simply not have differences. All possible actions should be clear and available at all times. For example, an always-visible edit icon. Or combining all edit and delete actions into a single action menu button that’s always visible. It would probably make things simpler on mobile too. That’s my take anyway.

1 Like

Y’know, you very well may be right on that. It’s most likely more intuitive. I guess I kept the trash can separate so that you could easily remove things from custom lists… but that’s not a terribly convincing argument as list addition is in the popup.

@seanblue alright I took your advice got rid of the active state and yes, it’s much better I think! Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I simply replaced the trash can with a gears icon for the edit popup on desktop and made the book image always open the popup for mobile.

Desktop:

Mobile:

1 Like

When I click the gear, there is a brief flashing of the text “fetching data”. :laughing:

And I know I mentioned this before, but at some point can you remove the “are you sure you want to close” warning when closing the review popup? Particularly when you haven’t edited anything in the popup.

One more thing for now. On the library page (so the non-editable page), I noticed that the icon to show more review details is only available when you have written a review. I thought that used to also be available if you also rated the sub-components. Regardless of whether it used to be there or not, I think it would be a nice addition. I tried to rate the language learning component for the first book of every series I read, but sometimes I check to make sure I didn’t miss any. So having this available would be helpful.

1 Like

@seanblue I know i’m sorry about the flashing, it’s annoying me too :sweat_smile:. At least that means it’s loading fast, but will make it so it does not need to load at all. That’s the next thing i’m working on so probably will be done tonight.

And noted on the sub components on the review. I can add that back, however if there’s no written portion i’ll probably use a different icon - I was slightly annoyed as I mostly cared about perusing written reviews.

And thanks for the note on the review warning, yeah should change that!

As an aside, you can now update the default action (+ ‘Wish List’ button on books not in your library) to any default status you like. So if you’re adding a lot of ‘owned’ books, you can now do + ‘Owned’ as the default status.

2 Likes

I am very glad to see that the blog is back :smile:
I must say I was looking forward to the ratings report, but I see your point that picking just a couple of books is not very interesting. I think it would be cool to be able to track the rating of all books at some point, not a priority though.

2 Likes

That’s good to know! And yeah, I’d been struggling to come up with good books for ratings report, as generally the super popular things aren’t changing that much. I do want to showcase rating changes relevant to you as I hope that serves as good motivation to grade more. Perhaps simply showcasing the history of a book’s difficulty rating via a pop-up on the book page might be a good solution? So you could go to よつばと’s grading section and there’d be a button for a popup to view history.

3 Likes

I would personally love this :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Ok good to know! I’ll try to implement that soon.

In other news, the site is having a few issues today, apologies on that! Some servers are acting up, working to resolve…

Edit: Servers seem to be ok now. Unfortunately its seems to have been a glitch from amazon :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, a line graph (or something similar) of historical gradings for a book would be really cool.

5 Likes

You might want to disable autocomplete on the search box. The intuitive thing for search boxes like this is for up and down arrows to select among the options suggested from the website. Since that doesn’t work now (would be nice to have by the way!), it just selects from the autocomplete. But that’s covered up by the website suggestions, making it even more confusing.

1 Like

you know thanks for bringing that top of mind again. I’ve rethought about it and it wasn’t really hard to implement, so i went ahead and did it. Let me know if it works well for you!

In other news, i’m nearing the end of my sprint, working on the tweaks to the book grading widget now. Should be wrapped up this coming week.

3 Likes

I see you added 青い花 as I requested, but for some reason it doesn’t show up in search. :thinking:

1 Like

Heh, you were quick on the ball! It’s there now. I was also in the process of adding 花と悪魔 and accidentally only activated that one… got my 花’s mixed up :slight_smile:

Whenever i’m adding new things they start in a ‘draft’ status outside search.

Makes sense. I just got the email saying they were added, so I tried searching. Also, how come they were added to my wish list since I left the “your status” field blank? I would have thought they wouldn’t be added for me at all in that case.

1 Like

Well, I simply wanted to make that field optional, but still wanted to default to adding to your library somehow. There are 1 or two items in my admin system that assume you add the book to your library.

However, you’re right that I should make the current system more intuitive… the default should show ‘Wish List’ but allow you the option to explicitly exclude from your library. I’m assuming ‘Wish List’ is a good default as most people aren’t adding things to the site that they don’t want added to their own library.

I also still need to add the checkbox wrt series on that page anyway, so tweaking this fits right in with that.

Does that all make sense?

3 Likes

Yeah, all that makes sense. I previously didn’t like using the wish list or owned lists because it set the “date added” field, which was the default sort order on the library page. Since you added the separate sections on that page split by status, it’s not as big of a deal, though I’ll probably continue to only use completed. I already have my wish list and owned lists elsewhere (Amazon and Bookmeter respectively), so I’m trying to avoid keeping the same information in too many places.

1 Like

is there a patreon or ko-fi link to support this excellent website? I know it’s free but I’m happy to donate

4 Likes

I appreciate it! No, there’s no patreon or donation link currently. The best way to donate right now is to simply read books, write reviews, do gradings and share the site :slight_smile:

I may add patreon after I do a few more community features, I’ll have think about it. In general, I’ve been a bit unsure if I should accept donations as I do intend there to be additional paid services in the future (separate from the site as it is now, that will always be free). But, if i’m upfront with that and people still want to support, those contributions are certainly welcome!

5 Likes

let us express our thanks please! at least until you’ve figured out your product offering. also donaters aren’t entitled like customers :wink:

I like ko-fi more than patreon as it feels like a leaving tip after enjoying something. patreon I feel is more like a kick-starter in that the receipent feels like they have to regularly do stuff to justify the regular payments.

3 Likes