Introducing Natively - Now with Movies & TV Shows, Korean, Spanish, German and More!

That’s really good feedback, thank you. I actually took that functionality out because I thought it was confusing, but after thinking on it more and doing a bit of research, you’re completely right - people do expect the back button to behave like that. Will add tonight.

Top and bottom makes sense to me! Having it scroll along with you is a bit more work and has a few other issues (reduces screen real estate for not a ton of value), but yeah top and bottom for sure.

Really appreciate that feedback!

1 Like

Nice! Any plans to expand to other languages if or when the site takes off?

1 Like

@pocketcat you are good to go!

I added the back button functionality as well. While i’m still a little bummed at including it at the top of the gallery as well, it is very useful I agree. It also forced me to make the pagination less ugly, so that’s a win! Granted, we now have grays on grays on grays with the filter tags now… but honestly, what website doesn’t :sweat_smile:.

And I’m no designer.

Thanks again for the push!

Edit: And for you OCD folks out there like me… I do know it’s slightly off center, will fix soon

2 Likes

Yes I’d love to extend to other languages … the model really isn’t Japanese specific, although I’ve already thought through a few different (minor) quirks other languages will pose.

But for the foreseeable future, I’m focusing on Japanese. We have to make a really amazing site for Japanese before I can even think about extending to other languages :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is awesome! And I was able to read “eyeball” in my first book, which I just recently learned as a wee little level 3 learner and thought I’d never see so soon in the wild! :joy: Signing up now!!

3 Likes

Woohooo!! That makes me so happy to hear! And, you know, every once in a while you do need to use the word “eyeball” haha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I LOVE this!
Just signed up and played around on the site and it’s amazing. Pretty easy to use, love how everything is laid out, and of course LOVE the leveling. And it’s only going to get BETTER the more people contribute to the algorithm by grading books.

This is going to be really great and I can’t wait to see how much it will grow! Thank you for making this!!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words!! It’s really been inspiring how much everyone has been contributing! I’m thrilled with how well it’s going so far and I’m excited too to watch it grow!

3 Likes

とらドラ! is listed as a manga, but it is a light novel.

3 Likes

Fixed! Thanks for calling out. I will be adding a flagging system this coming week to streamline this sort of reporting :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There’s a manga too.

1 Like

Is that right? Well Nick is the only one who has graded but other people have marked finished. Can split it out.

Thanks for letting me know!

It’s fairly common for popular light novels to get manga adaptions.

2 Likes

Right, which is a bit confusing. Already have a few manga / light novel series.

Doesn’t make your job any easier, that’s for sure. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes, but the cover is of the light novel version, and I think it’s more popular than manga.

3 Likes

Finally created an account to better keep track of books I own, but I’m a bit confused about the status options for books though - can there only be one tag? There are series that I’d like to mark as owned + finished but apparently it’s only possible to add one tag at a time?

And a small request - would it be possible to differentiate between digital and physical copies in ones library? I’d like to be able to sort my library based on which books I own irl and which ones I have digital copies of.

1 Like

I assume “owned” is for books you’ve bought but haven’t read yet. Basically 積読.

2 Likes

@momoni yes @seanblue is right. I do understand though that some people would like to keep a tally of the books they have on hand, even if they’ve finished them. I thought about adding that functionality when I added the ‘owned’ status to the platform, but I think it’s an extra complication to the status toggle which a lot of people do not need.

However, I am hoping to roll out custom lists soon! Once custom lists are available, you could always create an ‘owned - physical’ list and an ‘owned - digitial’ list. Do you think that would suit your needs?

If not, let me know what you’re looking for :slight_smile:

6 Likes

just thought I’d mention this, I kind of thought it would be interesting to have a way to search for books that have been reviewed (so not rated, the review). Its kind of interesting to read what people say about the books (as the reviews are less about ‘I love this book’ and more about the japanese learner perspective on the book), but kind of a pain to click every rated book to see if it has a review, as there is no way of knowing until you click it

Also, when searching for the highest-rated, there is a slight issue where series will be artificially be rated more, as if one person has read the books in the series, they will all be counted. So currently, Eyesheilf 21 has 37 ratings, but only 1 person has rated the books.

3 Likes