KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Yep! My whole goal with the app is to get better at producing Japanese in as natural/realistic a way as possible, and that includes using the Japanese IME/keyboard on my laptop & phone. In macOS it’s easy to switch between the two using a shortcut ctrl-option-space, but I’m not sure how easy it is on Windows.

The reason that WK does live conversion of romaji characters into hiragana is because it’s asking you for the phonetic of the displayed kanji, so reproducing the kanji would be redundant. It also spends half its time challenging you to produce english meanings, so it would really be untenable to use the “real” Japanese keyboard for WK lessons

1 Like

on windows (win10) you can change language via WIN+space and then you can set another shortcut to switch from alphanumeric input to hiragana input (somewhere in the IME settings).

also, even “in development” i already love kamesame! was a fan of kaniwani as well but the way synonyms are handled here and the forced kanji input are really nice features (the latter surprisingly so :smiley: ). awesome work!

1 Like

If I read the thread right you said you’d fixed this, but it just happened to me. Can I just not put in the ~ and have it be considered correct?

I wonder if it is at all possible to check the synonym against jisho too. Sometimes it’s hard to remember which words I learned from wanikani and which ones somewhere else.

1 Like

I don’t plan on integrating with Jisho, but I do plan on pulling in your WK user synonyms, soon-ish

2 Likes

Great news, everyone! I’ve added Search functionality, which is a pretty significant feature, because it will allow you to choose which items you want to pull in KameSame. Next time you’re in a conversation and can’t think of the Japanese word for “shameless”, you can just search it on KameSame, do a one-off lesson, and then add it to your review queue!

Here’s a video demo:

5 Likes

great idea. I can make it work on my PC with Firefox, but I’m typing blindly as the Kana are written in white on a white background. How do I change this

Hey! That’s probably a styling bug on my part because I have not been testing on a PC or with Firefox! I recommend trying it on Chrome first and I’ll add it to my list to investigate

1 Like

Thanks / got to install Chrome first then … or wait. It\s quite fun actualluy testing my memeory Thanks a lot

I’m sorry but I’m not able to replicate this. All three of these are passing for me. It’s possible there is yet another UTF 〜 I am not aware of. Can you paste your exact text? FWIW, WaniKani will basically just strip all ~
& 〜 characters from both your answer and the item so that all 3 of these should pass:

I did ~剤, which got marked wrong. KameSame says it’s looking for 〜剤. Looking closely, those ~ characters do look very slightly different.

~ appears to be called “fullwidth tilde” (U+FF5E), as opposed to the obviously different 〜 “wave dash” (U+301C).

2 Likes

Neat. I’ll add this to the exemptions

Hi! Unfortunately, with Firefox for macOS I was not able to replicate this issue :-/

Invisible ink at my place. When typing, the bar remains all white, and when I type in a wrong answer it shows an all red bar. Kinda hard to see what I’m doing, but I sure like KameSame :slight_smile:

But now I’ve discovered that typing the hiragana and hitting the space bar twice gives me a drop down meny with the possible kanji for that sound comination. This made it so much easier to hit the rigth kanji :wink:

I really like this. I’m sure it’s been noted here, but one opportunity for improvement I’d note is eliminating double vocab cards.

For instance, I have two vocab cards in my deck that say “red”: one wants 赤 and the other wants 赤い. If they both show up in the same session (which they have), I have to guess which one they want. Maybe there’s a way to note part of speech on the card (noun vs. i-adjective in this case), for instance. I do like that the cards are smart enough not to give me a “wrong” answer in this case.

Other than that though, nice work!

I think what you’re describing is one kanji card (pink, 赤) and one vocab card (purple, 赤い). I think it’s important to practice both, but if you don’t want the former, you can uncheck “include kanji” in the lessons page

I agree it’s important to practice both kanji and vocab, but what I’m referring to are two distinct purple vocab cards.

1 Like

Ah, sorry for misinterpreting you, 赤 and 赤い are two different vocab items in WK (one’s a noun and one’s an adjective) and therefore they’re two items in KameSame. Tofugu probably added both to demonstrate noun & adj. forms of most colors, but it’s not the sort of thing they typically do and isn’t a widespread problem, esp. after the first few levels.