KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Actually, other vocab allowed hiragana (I was testing on purpose). And there are other errors as shown in the screenshot.

Looks like a bug caused by an item having a null reading (wat). I’ll look into it. Thanks!

I tried some stuff and it wont accept hiragana on a lot of things for me. But that is fine. I need to know the kanji.

Can you give some examples? Ideally paste in the exact text as you typed it and show a screenshot of the result page?

When I do some new lessons I will test it. And copy and paste it.

1 Like

Thanks for making a great app!! I appreciate the option of “close enough” as this gives a user a KaniWani experience along with the easier kanji input. The language is very polite to help our fragile egos along the way! I did notice it opened new words that I’ve yet to see within WaniKani…I’m assuming these are in same level that I’m working to unlock.

Hey thanks for sharing your experience. A few things I noticed in your summary:

1. The app does expect users to use a Japanese IME or mobile keyboard. In a future update I’ll give an explicit error when half-width roman characters are supplied.

2. Pink cards are for single kanji (like in WK). The placeholder text says 漢字 or 単語, respectively

3. Sorry about the “nailed it” idiom, I have added some additional text you’ll see on exact answers.

1 Like

This looks great! The synonym issue got so frustrating in KaniWani that I had to give it up for my mental health. Really looking forward to seeing how KameSame develops. Thank you!

1 Like

I think others mentioned it before but i often get a lesson/review wrong when it wants me to add ~.
However, while doing lessons just now i had the following problem when i DID add ~

Hope this will be fixed, or at least not have it require the tilde at all. I have to agree with some of the previous comments that the synonym issue with kaniwani is extremely annoying, so when the issues like this are fixed, this could be my replacement for KW :slight_smile:

Edit: I forgot to mention that it also asked me vocab from my current level, that I had not yet unlocked/learned on wanikani due to the kanji not being guru yet, but you mentioned in a previous post you might make this configurable so that will be solved too i’m sure.

Thanks!

Heads up that I just took down the app for maintenance. I’m hoping to add the main feature everyone’s asking for today, but it’s going to require a lot of data model reworking. If the deploy is successful, I’ll update you on what that means for you and your weekend.

2 Likes

My inclination at this point is to just prevent any lessons of items that contain ‘~’. They barely make sense reversed to begin with

That works. The way KaniWani does this (and i guess Wanikani does this too) is just ignore the ~ when entering answers. For example with 〜時, instead of having to type 〜じ, it accepts じ.
Either way works for me. I have absolutely no clue what is easier to code, so by all means whatever works best, is fine.
I will check here and as soon as it is back up I will try it out.
Thanks for the work you put into this!

Okay, back up! As many of you requested, lessons will now default to WK Guru & up, but you can set that to whatever you like in the /lessons page:

The app will remember what you set the rank to last and base your available lesson count on that.

It was more work than it looks like!

4 Likes

That was quick! Nice work

Another update:

• Looks like last night’s deploy went fine for everyone (we have about 200 active users already, which isn’t bad for a “stealth” beta that I haven’t done much to promote.)
  • This morning, I simplified the response the server sends every time you answer a flashcard review, and it’s looking like a mind-boggling 4x speed-up in response time. Since that’s the most frequent action anyone takes in the system, it’s important to keep it optimized.
1 Like

I looked at this and realized it was a pink kanji review and not a vocab review. For kanji, we only accept the actual kanji character, providing the reading is not sufficient.

I’ve added some text to the card when people get a kanji review incorrect:

(some issue that is only happening on my local system it seems, info removed)

Otherwise now that I can review only burnt items and have a realistic chance of finishing my piles of lessons I’m loving this! Such an early version but it already rocks. :+1:

1 Like

This is almost certainly not KameSame, because Popup, Frontend, and postMessage don’t even appear in our code. We don’t have a popup.js or frontend.js file, either. You can look at the current JS bundle here: https://www.kamesame.com/packs/kamesame-0731f5baa1261db3e09f.js

Do you have any Chrome extensions installed? Those are most likely the culprit. I’d start disabling them and see if that fixes it.

Ok got it, I’ll keep an eye open, should be easy to find then when it happens again. I’ll delete my two posts so that I don’t mess up your thread.

It just happened again but without the error message. I guess I’ll just switch to a different browser.

This warning was happening too while I was stuck in my loop and it is displayed again and part of your code. Are you seeing it too or is it just me?

I’m stuck in the loop again and after every reload I get the same message.

preact.esm.js:277 [Violation] Added non-passive event listener to a scroll-blocking ‘touchstart’ event. Consider marking event handler as ‘passive’ to make the page more responsive. See Chrome Platform Status

Some observations: I’ve started the first batch of 10 lessons about two hours ago. Then in the middle of lessons I suddenly had to leave the house. When I returned a few minutes ago I finished the lessons and got an overview page with a list of 10 words covered by these lessons. Yet on the home page it said that I’ve unlocked 0 items. Then I started and completed a second batch of 10 lessons. Now the homepage says I have unlocked 10 lessons, but the next review will be available in 2 hours - that is 4 hours after I had started the first batch of lessons. I’m confused whether the first batch was recorded or not… Some overview of locked/unlocked items with their levels would be nice.

Anyway the app is great and I will surely use it a lot.